ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Pulling apart an EAW box to replace driver  (Read 1910 times)

Dave Guilford

Pulling apart an EAW box to replace driver
« on: February 27, 2017, 09:56:17 PM »

I got a FR159z and I'm replacing the drivers in it.  Apart from having a funny grille, and using non-Phillips screws (along with 4+ different types of screws throughout the box), I'm having a tough time pulling the LF woofer out.  The tweeter no problem, but what is up with this LF driver??

Is there some trick to it? Or hidden screws somewhere? The front has only 4 screw holes, leaving 4 "blanks".  So the 4 came out no problem. 

I have removed the input connector , put a rod from the back of the driver extending through the connector hole, and hit it multiple times.  And fairly hard. 

The dang thing won't budge.  Either someone hella glued it in there, or there's something else holding it in.

Am I a dope, or what?

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
Re: Pulling apart an EAW box to replace driver
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2017, 10:17:23 PM »

I got a FR159z and I'm replacing the drivers in it.  Apart from having a funny grille, and using non-Phillips screws (along with 4+ different types of screws throughout the box), I'm having a tough time pulling the LF woofer out.  The tweeter no problem, but what is up with this LF driver??

Is there some trick to it? Or hidden screws somewhere? The front has only 4 screw holes, leaving 4 "blanks".  So the 4 came out no problem. 

I have removed the input connector , put a rod from the back of the driver extending through the connector hole, and hit it multiple times.  And fairly hard. 

The dang thing won't budge.  Either someone hella glued it in there, or there's something else holding it in.

Am I a dope, or what?

I don't recall anything unusual about the woofer mounting other than it used only 4 screws (and I confirmed that with the drawing from EAW...).

My guess is that the gasket has turned into a sealant...  Take a putty knife and work under/around the edge of the woofer.  It might take a screwdriver and a tap from a mallet; perhaps several attempts in various locations around the perimeter.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Chris Grimshaw

• Sheffield, UK
    • Grimshaw Audio
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2017, 05:34:14 AM »

+1 on what Tim said.

The horns in my boxes can be a pain to get out - the foam gasket really doesn't want to let go when the surface is textured.
A flat screwdriver will usually get underneath and pry it up. Take it slow, and try not to damage the wood or gasket.

Chris
Sheffield-based sound engineering.
www.grimshawaudio.com

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2017, 07:31:23 AM »

My guess is that the gasket has turned into a sealant...  Take a putty knife and work under/around the edge of the woofer.  It might take a screwdriver and a tap from a mallet; perhaps several attempts in various locations around the perimeter.
That happens with foam gaskets that are used to hold drivers and panels in and reduce vibrations.

Sometimes they need a little "nudge"-sometimes a small crowbar is a good tool
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

Aaron Talley

« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2017, 10:52:15 AM »

I had some KF650s a while back and had to replace a driver in one of them and I had the same experience.
With some a little time and working at it a little bit, it finally came loose.
It's just the gasket they use.

Jim McKeveny

« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2017, 09:31:36 AM »

I had some KF650s a while back and had to replace a driver in one of them and I had the same experience.
With some a little time and working at it a little bit, it finally came loose.
It's just the gasket they use.

This goes into the "You just cannot win" file:

At a late 1980's NYC AES John Meyer and I had an exchange about how other "pro" manufacturers routinely ignored the value of gaskets on box openings. Some bass cabs became audibly "gassy" at high levels. (Yes, EAW's name was mentioned.)

Now the use of gaskets becomes a problem.

BTW- a skinny bead of 100% RTV sealant does wonders and allows easy removal of component...

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2017, 09:31:36 AM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.044 seconds with 25 queries.