ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Y cable with DMX?  (Read 12267 times)

Rob Spence

• Boston Metro North/West
    • Lynx Audio Services
Re: Y cable with DMX?
« Reply #20 on: March 30, 2017, 07:24:57 PM »

I have a splitter and it is great.
It helps with troubleshooting and lets you test each string as soon as it is wired. Saves a ton of long length cables too.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
rob at lynxaudioservices dot com

Dealer for: AKG, Allen & Heath, Ashley, Astatic, Audix, Blue Microphones, CAD, Chauvet, Community, Countryman, Crown, DBX, Electro-Voice, FBT, Furman, Heil, Horizon, Intellistage, JBL, Lab Gruppen, Mid Atlantic, On Stage Stands, Pelican, Peterson Tuners, Presonus, ProCo, QSC, Radial, RCF, Sennheiser, Shure, SKB, Soundcraft, TC Electronics, Telex, Whirlwind and others

Lyle Williams

« Reply #21 on: March 31, 2017, 05:54:40 AM »

I just checked with him, and he still says "NO!".

- Janell Fleenor
(daughter of the Doctor)

I did not recommend y-splits as a first course of action.

If you end up stuck in a situation, and through lack of equipment/planning/luck are in a situation where a short y-split would fit the necessary topology, I said give it a go.

If you had seen the crud (cable quality and cable topology) that works in RS485 for security and building automation applications you would have a sense of how far from perfect rs485 can be and still work.

brian maddox

• HeyYahWon! ttsss! ttsss!
« Reply #22 on: March 31, 2017, 08:37:10 PM »

I did not recommend y-splits as a first course of action.

If you end up stuck in a situation, and through lack of equipment/planning/luck are in a situation where a short y-split would fit the necessary topology, I said give it a go.

If you had seen the crud (cable quality and cable topology) that works in RS485 for security and building automation applications you would have a sense of how far from perfect rs485 can be and still work.

Went to work at a church that had 20 Martin 250's daisy chained together with, you guessed it, microphone cable.  When i pointed out that that was really not the way to do things they responded that it had always worked, so what's the problem?  After about a year the lighting guy decided to add some LED up lighting at the back of the stage and just continue the DaisyChain already in place.  Managed to get one to work but as soon as he tried to add more Chaos ensued.  Turns out the maximum number of fixtures he was gonna get away with using that wiring scheme was only 1 more than he needed.  Which wasn't a problem. 

Until it was.

After installing proper cabling and DMX splits everything of course worked swimmingly....  :)
"It feels wrong to be in the audience.  And it's too peopley!" - Steve Smith

brian maddox
[email protected]
Savannah, GA

'...do not trifle with the affairs of dragons...

....for you are crunchy, and taste good with ketchup...'

Lyle Williams

« Reply #23 on: April 02, 2017, 03:40:00 AM »

If you don't use the same cable/topology that underpins the DMX rules-of-thumb on distance and number of fixtures, those rules-of-thumb will no longer apply.

What is the correct way to cross a river?

Use the bridge.  I'm ok with that.

But if you can't use the bridge, don't throw your hands up in the air and say the river can't be crossed.  Get a boat or swim or think of something else.  :-)

Learned helplessness is when a professional  can't find solutions that a novice can.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #23 on: April 02, 2017, 03:40:00 AM »

Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.026 seconds with 21 queries.