ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 8000sqft brewery / discotec project, please help  (Read 4140 times)

Todd Morrill

8000sqft brewery / discotec project, please help
« on: February 23, 2017, 12:36:06 AM »

Greetings so we have a brewery. And we want to turn 8000 swft of it into an event space (30 foot warehouse ceilings). The space is essentially a long rectangle, call it 200ft X 40ft with 30 foot vaulted ceilings.

Now at my house I am driving some b&w 602s with a nad320BEE and it sounds fantastic. I brought my setup for a small 20X 20 dance floor in our warehouse, and it sounded great. These speakers are rated for 120watts and in my small experiment with my NAD which outputs 50watts per channel they sounded pretty amazing (before the NAD overheated).

So it got me thinking and if I were to put say 12 -16 of them, 6-8 on each side that would be a speaker each 30 feet or so, properly powered.... perhaps this would sound great for the money with some 18" subwoofers mixed in.  I want to shoot to have the capacity to go to discotec levels of volume, say 100-105db for the dance floor (1/4 of the space), and something around 90 for the rest of the bar (google said that was normal) area.....

My question(s) are, considering these are 400 a pair on ebay, and I know I love the sound, is the idea of getting a bunch of these interspersed with 18" subs a good idea for value / quality / this application (bar / discotec)? Is there a way better speaker that offers superior quality / price performance? I just love the sonic quality of these b&w's and figured might as well start with what I already know I love :)

Would love yalls help, perhaps I can even engage one of you all professionally as a consultant?

Thanks
Todd
« Last Edit: February 23, 2017, 12:39:59 AM by Todd Morrill »

Will Knight

• Queens, NY
Re: 8000sqft brewery / discotec project, please help
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2017, 06:56:11 AM »

Would love yalls help, perhaps I can even engage one of you all professionally as a consultant?

This right here!

Todd, welcome to the PSW forum.  Given the size of the venue and your targeted interest, it's strongly recommended to engage a professional sound consultant to discuss your options and give you recommendations.  Let us know where you are based and someone from the board could reach out to you for assistance.

Good luck

Bill
Strive not to be a success, but rather to be of value — Albert Einstein.

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2017, 10:18:03 AM »

Greetings so we have a brewery. And we want to turn 8000 swft of it into an event space (30 foot warehouse ceilings). The space is essentially a long rectangle, call it 200ft X 40ft with 30 foot vaulted ceilings.

Now at my house I am driving some b&w 602s with a nad320BEE and it sounds fantastic. I brought my setup for a small 20X 20 dance floor in our warehouse, and it sounded great. These speakers are rated for 120watts and in my small experiment with my NAD which outputs 50watts per channel they sounded pretty amazing (before the NAD overheated).

So it got me thinking and if I were to put say 12 -16 of them, 6-8 on each side that would be a speaker each 30 feet or so, properly powered.... perhaps this would sound great for the money with some 18" subwoofers mixed in.  I want to shoot to have the capacity to go to discotec levels of volume, say 100-105db for the dance floor (1/4 of the space), and something around 90 for the rest of the bar (google said that was normal) area.....

My question(s) are, considering these are 400 a pair on ebay, and I know I love the sound, is the idea of getting a bunch of these interspersed with 18" subs a good idea for value / quality / this application (bar / discotec)? Is there a way better speaker that offers superior quality / price performance? I just love the sonic quality of these b&w's and figured might as well start with what I already know I love :)

Thanks
Todd

Todd - As stated let us know where you are.  But what you suggest is expensive and won't do what you think.

1 - The environment in the club will have much more ambient noise.  Your home speakers aren't loud enough
2 - They are not designed to cover an area as you think, the actual sweet spot is very small
3 - Mechanically they are not designed to be hung over people's heads
4 - The overlap zones will have interference from the other speakers

How much of the area do you want to cover with "dance floor" level sound and how much do you want to be a talking level?

Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

John Roberts {JR}

• Hickory, Mississippi, USA
    • Resotune
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2017, 10:56:22 AM »

Maybe throw in free beer for life... but only if it is a classic stout.

JR

PS: Not trivial... you need to define how much SPL for how much of the room?. You may also need acoustic treatment to suppress reverberation.
Cancel the "cancel culture". Do not participate in mob hatred.

Todd Morrill

« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2017, 09:39:39 AM »

Greetings, Let me try and answer everyone's questions:

my name is Todd, and I am opening a brewery in Medellin Colombia (South America). Medellin is a $150 1.5 hour flight from Miami, and its really not as far away as it sounds. I am originally from Baltimore, and have a background in natural sciences and engineering, and I have been tinkering with "HIFI" for a decade. So I am at least interested in going a little deeper into the tech than a potential average consumer; however I acknowledge that a little knowledge is dangerous.

Here are links to floor plans, architectural drawings as well as 3d renders https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B1YwAO9wJDfzeVYtZ2RtdEtTVHM

We have not started building yet so architectural design modifications are possible. I would like to have places where you have disco sound lvls 90-95db, in the events space.. and I would like the sound to fall off as much as possible in other areas, shooting for say 80db (this comes from me going to bars with db meter on cell phone and asking is this a good conversation lvl?, so its not in stone, and I am not sure if my metering is acurate)

Anyway I also want to acknowledge the function and my expectations of your all's help. I would like to get a rough idea of feedback and direction to accomplish the above goals given our design, both in terms of speaker amp direction but more importantly architectural considerations for dampening conversational echo as well as dropping dbs between spaces. What are your all's thought in regards to acoustics of given designs? In getting a bit of an idea of direction, I feel that I will be more informed to be able to better select the appropriate professional to help me, maybe its one of you!

Sound fair enough?
Thanks
Todd

Todd - As stated let us know where you are.  But what you suggest is expensive and won't do what you think.

1 - The environment in the club will have much more ambient noise.  Your home speakers aren't loud enough
2 - They are not designed to cover an area as you think, the actual sweet spot is very small
3 - Mechanically they are not designed to be hung over people's heads
4 - The overlap zones will have interference from the other speakers

How much of the area do you want to cover with "dance floor" level sound and how much do you want to be a talking level?

John Roberts {JR}

• Hickory, Mississippi, USA
    • Resotune
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2017, 10:00:25 AM »

Most sound jobs are forced to work within an existing floor plan. If you have a blank sheet so to speak, a lot of your acoustic SPL management can be accomplished by keeping the loud and less loud spaces physically separate.

JR 
Cancel the "cancel culture". Do not participate in mob hatred.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2017, 10:00:25 AM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.021 seconds with 25 queries.