ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: DMX Automation  (Read 11455 times)

Doug Hart

DMX Automation
« on: February 22, 2017, 01:41:44 PM »

We recently installed (34) Blizzard Lighting Motif Vignette fixtures on a pedestrian bridge for the city parks and recreation. They are controlled by a Blizzard  Kontrol 5. They wanted to be able to light up the bridge with colors for different holidays.
They are pleased with the system, but it requires a city worker to go onsite at the end of the day, unlock the weatherproof box that houses the controller, and push the scene button or blackout button to turn the lights on. Same thing in the mornings to turn the lights off.

They asked me if there was a way to automate this process. In my searching, I have not been able to find a solution.
The scene would be set, it would just need something like a photocell or timer to automate the blackout.

Does anyone have an idea for a solution? They are not opposed to spending some money on it if it's a reasonable amount.
If we need to change out the control system to something else, that is certainly a possibility.

Any ideas are welcome. Thank you.

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
Re: DMX Automation
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2017, 03:20:06 PM »

We recently installed (34) Blizzard Lighting Motif Vignette fixtures on a pedestrian bridge for the city parks and recreation. They are controlled by a Blizzard  Kontrol 5. They wanted to be able to light up the bridge with colors for different holidays.
They are pleased with the system, but it requires a city worker to go onsite at the end of the day, unlock the weatherproof box that houses the controller, and push the scene button or blackout button to turn the lights on. Same thing in the mornings to turn the lights off.

They asked me if there was a way to automate this process. In my searching, I have not been able to find a solution.
The scene would be set, it would just need something like a photocell or timer to automate the blackout.

Does anyone have an idea for a solution? They are not opposed to spending some money on it if it's a reasonable amount.
If we need to change out the control system to something else, that is certainly a possibility.

Any ideas are welcome. Thank you.

Looks very nice.....I just pulled the specs on your controller.  It does not support any automation.  You need a controller with a MIDI interface so you can control it from a computer.

Simple DMX software would do the trick to.  The Raspberry Pi is a small fanless computer that costs about $25.00 and could be programmed to do this task.

Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Doug Hart

« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2017, 03:25:46 PM »

Looks very nice.....I just pulled the specs on your controller.  It does not support any automation.  You need a controller with a MIDI interface so you can control it from a computer.

Simple DMX software would do the trick to.  The Raspberry Pi is a small fanless computer that costs about $25.00 and could be programmed to do this task.

Thank you.
I thought about the Raspberry Pi, but I know very little about them.
Is there a DMX program that would run on it?

veditor78

« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2017, 03:54:11 PM »

A quick google search came up with this:

https://wiki.openlighting.org/index.php/Open_Lighting_Project

http://www.instructables.com/id/Raspberry-Pi-as-a-DMX-light-controller/

http://www.raspberrypi-dmx.com

I think you can probably make a great solution using those links. Good luck!
Josh Rawls

David Allred

« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2017, 04:09:45 PM »

The complicated and expensive way would be to connect a photocell to a PLC that fires solenoid pistons to compress the appropriate buttons.  It would be a neat project.

What about a wireless option?  You still need an operator though.

Doug Hart

« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2017, 04:29:18 PM »

Len Zenith Jr

« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2017, 04:30:56 PM »

Showxpress is a relatively cheap software DMX controller that has auto on/off features that will even take into account the changing sunrise/sunset times as the days change. It has offset times to start/end a little earlier or later. You could even have it auto turn green for st paddies day, red for valentines, etc, etc. The whole year could be pre-programmed. No end to the programming you could do.

It is a free download to play with it. The time features are accessed via the live menu, right click a scene/macro button, then select button trigger.

Doug Hart

« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2017, 04:31:37 PM »

The complicated and expensive way would be to connect a photocell to a PLC that fires solenoid pistons to compress the appropriate buttons.  It would be a neat project.

I have an electrical engineering buddy who is contemplating that very thing for me. haha

What about a wireless option?  You still need an operator though.

I thought about that too. Although it would make it easier, it would still require someone to be on site twice a day.

Doug Hart

« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2017, 04:32:40 PM »

Showxpress is a relatively cheap software DMX controller that has auto on/off features that will even take into account the changing sunrise/sunset times as the days change. It has offset times to start/end a little earlier or later. You could even have it auto turn green for st paddies day, red for valentines, etc, etc. The whole year could be pre-programmed. No end to the programming you could do.

It is a free download to play with it. The time features are accessed via the live menu, right click a scene/macro button, then select button trigger.

I will check that out. Thank you so much !!!

Len Zenith Jr

« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2017, 04:37:40 PM »

I will check that out. Thank you so much !!!

Now my LD mind is getting carried away, but you could even blink the lights 9 times at 9pm, 10 times at 10, like a clock, etc, etc. So much fun!

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2017, 04:37:40 PM »

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.034 seconds with 25 queries.