ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: scanner/copier thingy  (Read 5356 times)

scottstephens

scanner/copier thingy
« on: February 20, 2017, 11:37:53 AM »

Hey all,

I'm needing to update some office equipment. Do any of you use the "all in one" scanner/copiers? Which one would you recommend? I'd like to keep the price under $400 if possible. My local office supply store has them from $99 and up. The only difference I can tell is that on the higher priced ones the copier is faster.

Thanks guys.
scott

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
Re: scanner/copier thingy
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2017, 12:27:29 PM »

If you do much printing/copying I suggest you look at the cost per page of consumables - ink/toner, drum kit life, and mechanical PM kits.

I used to buy cheap printers until I saw the cost per page...

Right now my personal AIO is a Lexmark X464DE.  Probably just under $1,000 when it came out, I purchased it NOS from an outfit in Burbank for about $450, shipped.  Toner is about 1.5 cents per side compared to 3 cents per side for the printer it replaced (a Brother that gave me 50,000 pages before the network port was taken out in a lightning hit, the USB port still works so I gave it to one of my crew).  The down side is that here in Wichita I can't just pop down to Staples or Office Despot for toner for the Lexmark.

Interesting point:  at Office Despot the printer back in the furniture dept, the one that spits out the orders, is a Lexmark, but they're not Lexy dealers....

For casual use I've got 2 Canon D-420 (discontinued), one at my office and the other I've loaned to my IATSE Local for use at the arena downtown.  So far both have been reliable but cost per page is higher than my Lexmark.

The rule of thumb is the cheaper the printer the higher the cost of consumables.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Ron Hebbard

« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2017, 01:50:59 PM »

Hey all,

I'm needing to update some office equipment. Do any of you use the "all in one" scanner/copiers? Which one would you recommend? I'd like to keep the price under $400 if possible. My local office supply store has them from $99 and up. The only difference I can tell is that on the higher priced ones the copier is faster.

Thanks guys.
scott
Consider flat bed or roll fed BEFORE you purchase dependent upon how you see your needs.  You may want to go with a laser depending upon how much printing you're planning on doing as the inks tend to go bad in the ink jets when they're just sitting around unused.  If you see yourself doing a lot of black, a printer that has black is more cost effective than a color printer that's always mixing black for you.
Toodleoo!
Ron Hebbard.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2017, 01:55:00 PM by Ron Hebbard »

Jonathan Johnson

• Southwest Washington (state, not DC)
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2017, 01:58:01 PM »

Unless printing color is important to you, go with a black & white laser unit. (They'll still scan in color.) It will last a lot longer and have a much lower per-page cost.

Look for one with a real manual-feed tray for printing. The ones with the slot-feed are just about impossible to insert the paper straight when you want to print on custom stock such as address labels.

They almost all now will connect to a wireless network. If you get one with a wired network interface, it will be a lot less problematic if you can connect it wired. Some that I've dealt with in the past would go to sleep, and put the WiFi to sleep to, so you couldn't print until you went over and kicked the printer to wake it up. Generally the wired interface either doesn't sleep or will wake up on a LAN packet.
Stop confusing the issue with facts and logic!

Doug Fowler

• Member since May 1995, 2nd poster on original LAB, moderator on and off since 1997, now running TurboMOD v1.826
  • Administrator
  • Saint Louis, MO USA
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2017, 03:10:29 PM »

Brother MFC-J985DW

Super easy on ink (main selling point), runs solidly.  Love it.  The only drawback is it doesn't hold much paper.
Brawndo, the Thirst Mutilator. 
It's got electrolytes. 
It's got what plants crave.

Scott Helmke

« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2017, 03:22:34 PM »

Definitely go laser for business stuff. Way cheaper in the long run, much less hassle compared to those @#$#* inkjet cartridges.

veditor78

« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2017, 03:35:07 PM »

If you want to stay in the inkjet realm and keep a low cost per page, Epson recently introduced the Ecotank line. They are more expensive to purchase initially but the ink is dirt cheap, compared to the likes of HP.

I haven't bought one yet but as soon as my HP Officejet Pro 8600 dies they are on the top of my list.

https://epson.com/For-Work/Printers/Inkjet/c/w110?q=%3Aprice-asc%3AdiscontinuedFlag%3Afalse%3APrinters+Facets%2CType%3ASupertank&text=#scrollTgt_onRefresh
Josh Rawls

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2017, 07:09:54 PM »

Unless printing color is important to you, go with a black & white laser unit. (They'll still scan in color.) It will last a lot longer and have a much lower per-page cost.

Look for one with a real manual-feed tray for printing. The ones with the slot-feed are just about impossible to insert the paper straight when you want to print on custom stock such as address labels.

They almost all now will connect to a wireless network. If you get one with a wired network interface, it will be a lot less problematic if you can connect it wired. Some that I've dealt with in the past would go to sleep, and put the WiFi to sleep to, so you couldn't print until you went over and kicked the printer to wake it up. Generally the wired interface either doesn't sleep or will wake up on a LAN packet.

Agree 100% I have HP Color Laser CM1312NFI at home and it works great.  Lexmark, HP and Ricoh make some fine gear.   I have been looking for a Ricoh C400 close enough for me to pickup.  They are workhorses with great image quality.

Inkjet will eat you out of house and home.

Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2017, 07:44:20 PM »

This is almost exactly why I've been buying Lexmark printers for business use - wake up on LAN; the front loading manual feeder (feeds envelopes, too); scanner is flatbed *and* duplexing sheet feeder; and cost per page.

I don't want to be the annoying fanboy but when the national chain store uses Lexmark printers instead of the brands they sell, that says something.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

John L Nobile

« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2017, 02:12:32 PM »

Lexmark and HP lasers are my first choices for smaller "spot" printers at work. HP seems a little easier to setup. Our large printers are Xerox but I would never recommend that make.

You really have to do your research on cost per page printing. The printer is the cheapest part of printing.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2017, 02:12:32 PM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.022 seconds with 25 queries.