ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Has anyone used this DMX dongle?  (Read 5832 times)

Stelios Mac

Has anyone used this DMX dongle?
« on: February 18, 2017, 05:10:58 AM »

Hello everyone :)
I'm looking to get a cheap USB to DMX or artnet to DMX dongle and I've narrowed it down to these 3 options:

-> #1 Is this (uDMX?) dongle sold on eBay:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/USB-DMX-Interface-Controller-Adapter-LED-DMX512-Computer-Light-Dimmer-M2Z8-/322418058203
Has anyone used one of these? They look rather flimsy - I'm not gonna be using it too often and it won't have to deal with tough road use, but I'm wondering whether it'll break during a show or not.

-> #2 Is a D.I.Y. dongle like this:
http://stevenbreuls.com/2014/03/diy-usb-dmx-controller-for-under-10_2_ethernet_cable/
Looks like a better option, not sure how easy it would be to solder the ultra-thin CAT cables... Any thoughts?

-> #3 Would be a D.I.Y. artnet to DMX node.
Haven't decided on a specific design yet - But it would be much more expensive than the other two (I could probably buy 2 or 3 usb dongles to have as backups instead of making one artnet node). The upside would be that the software I use actually uses artnet for dmx output so I'd avoid having to use Artnet -> DMX dongle "translator" software.

I mostly do sound and only run lights a few times every year (4? maybe 5?), so I can't justify spending 200 euros on a DMX dongle - And If I were to spend 200 euros on lighting I'd probably get a nice Midi Controller to make my life easier.

Thanks in advance.
Cheers!

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
Posting Rules
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2017, 08:32:10 AM »

Hello everyone :)

Please go to your profile and change the "Name" field to your real first and last name as required by the posting rules displayed in the header at the top of the section, and in the Site Rules and Suggestions in the Forum Announcements section, and on the registration page when you registered.

Mac

Lyle Williams

Re: Has anyone used this DMX dongle?
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2017, 07:28:09 PM »

The SmartShow Artnet to DMX box is 60 UK pounds plus shipping.  I have two and they work for me.

Jeff Lelko

• Cape Canaveral, FL
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2017, 08:28:13 PM »

I'm looking to get a cheap USB to DMX or artnet to DMX dongle and I've narrowed it down to these 3 options...

You need to think of this from the other direction.  Pick the software that you like first and then see what dongles are available for you to use with it.  Some of the free software is very good, others not so much.  Some will work with third party dongles, some won't.  MagicQ PC and M-PC are two of the more popular programs that are compatible with select third party hardware, namely the Enttec DMX-USB Pro.  This is probably one of the most-compatible dongles on the market.  MagicQ's proprietary dongles are a bit cheaper, but I don't believe they work with other programs should you change your mind and want to use something else down the road.  Like I said though, you're probably best off choosing the software that feels "right" to you first and fits best with your system and style of programming before buying any hardware.  Hope this helps!

Stelios Mac

« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2017, 08:39:03 AM »

Hm, I'll keep the SmartShow boxes in mind... I did come across one of them on eBay but I was under the impression they were for LED strip control. Thanks :)
I've already chosen the software! ;) It outputs to Artnet so I'm pretty flexible as to what I can use - And if I choose a non-Artnet box I could still use the "translator" software that comes with FreeStyler which accepts Artnet and will output to almost any DMX box compatible with FreeStyler. I'd like to avoid that though due to reliability concerns so I'm leaning towards an Artnet box...
Thanks for your time guys :)

Jeff Lelko

• Cape Canaveral, FL
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2017, 11:02:49 AM »

I've already chosen the software!

Have you shopped around a little?  From my experience, Freestyler severely lacks in capability when compared to other free platforms like MagicQ and M-PC.  I've found its workflow to be clunky and cumbersome, and the software architecture fails to really emulate a full-sized console like you'd see with either of the other two others.  Again, just my opinion though.  Use whatever fits the bill for your needs!  Why does this have to be Artnet?

Stelios Mac

« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2017, 01:34:34 PM »

You've misunderstood. I'm not using FreeStyler - I'll only be using the Artnet to Dongle interface it comes with ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5s7dLTik9M8 ).
I'll be using some very well known software which I can't reveal publicly for various reasons - And I can only get it to output DMX on Artnet - but if you'd like to know which one it is feel free to PM me :)
I'm probably gonna go with either the uDMX or SmartShow dongle, thanks a lot for your input everyone :) Cheers!

Jeff Lelko

• Cape Canaveral, FL
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2017, 05:14:21 PM »

I'll be using some very well known software which I can't reveal publicly for various reasons

Okay...?  Personally I really don't care what you're using and what you plan to do with it.  The fact is though that coming to a public community (of professionals, none the less), asking for input and opinions, and then being cryptic with your answers isn't going to get you anywhere.

I don't understand why you need to use a Loopback Adapter.  Why not just use something like what Lyle mentioned and do it right?  Reading your first post, I get that you might not want to spend a lot of money on a solution.  If you just plan to use this for personal projects, sure, do whatever you want...but...if you plan to use this for paying clients or audience members where reliability is important than I highly recommend saving the money you need to do it right.

Stelios Mac

« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2017, 08:40:24 AM »

Okay...?  Personally I really don't care what you're using and what you plan to do with it.  The fact is though that coming to a public community (of professionals, none the less), asking for input and opinions, and then being cryptic with your answers isn't going to get you anywhere.

I don't understand why you need to use a Loopback Adapter.  Why not just use something like what Lyle mentioned and do it right?  Reading your first post, I get that you might not want to spend a lot of money on a solution.  If you just plan to use this for personal projects, sure, do whatever you want...but...if you plan to use this for paying clients or audience members where reliability is important than I highly recommend saving the money you need to do it right.

Check out your PMs, hopefully I didn't come across as a weirdo :)
You're absolutely right, the Smartshow dongle is what I'm mostly leaning towards.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2017, 08:40:24 AM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.036 seconds with 24 queries.