ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: one screwdriver mic clips  (Read 7218 times)

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
Re: one thin dime mic clips
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2017, 11:20:32 AM »

Frank Koenig

• Palo Alto, CA USA
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2017, 11:36:50 AM »

I spent my last dime on sound equipment :o

But while we're on the subject of mic support, has anyone found a satisfactory pair of soft-jawed pliers, or some other means of gripping the boom when tightening or loosening the mic clip. I bought some soft-jawed pliers from McMaster, but the jaws are too soft, the wrong radius, and don't really work. I'm not the type to take Channelocks or a pipe wrench to my nice stands, either. Any trick that I've been ignorant of all this time? Thanks.

Best,

--Frank
"Nature abhors a vacuum tube." -- John Pierce, Bell Labs

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2017, 12:13:48 PM »

The guy that uses them to tighten mic clips? Do you know of a suitable alternative that costs less than 10 cents and fits in your pocket without bulging?

Mac

Craftsman swag...
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

Mark Cadwallader

• Helena, Montana USA
« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2017, 12:15:40 AM »

I spent my last dime on sound equipment :o

But while we're on the subject of mic support, has anyone found a satisfactory pair of soft-jawed pliers, or some other means of gripping the boom when tightening or loosening the mic clip. I bought some soft-jawed pliers from McMaster, but the jaws are too soft, the wrong radius, and don't really work. I'm not the type to take Channelocks or a pipe wrench to my nice stands, either. Any trick that I've been ignorant of all this time? Thanks.

Best,

--Frank

Try a strap wrench, perhaps one with a soft polyureathane or vinyl strap (as opposed to cotton webbing). IIRC, Klein offers at least two sizes. I don't if it will work on such a small diameter, however.  Take your boom to the hardware store and try one.

The other thing I know is the large diameter Latch Lake lock nuts. More to grab on to.
"Good tools are expensive, but cheap tools are damned expensive."

Jordan Wolf

Re: one screwdriver mic clips
« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2017, 08:58:11 PM »

[W]hile we're on the subject of mic support, has anyone found a satisfactory pair of soft-jawed pliers, or some other means of gripping the boom when tightening or loosening the mic clip...I'm not the type to take Channelocks or a pipe wrench to my nice stands, either. Any trick that I've been ignorant of all this time?
Frank,

I use tie line with a Prusik hitch to assist me with difficult twisting duties when I have no "proper" tool.

Just purposely over-wrap the Prusik a total of 5-6 times and cinch it tight onto the clutch, wrap the standing end around the clutch a few times, and pull perpendicularly away from the shaft.

Not how it's meant to be used, but it works.
Jordan Wolf
<><

"We want our sound to go into the soul of the audience, and see if it can awaken some little thing in their minds... Cause there are so many sleeping people." - Jimi Hendrix

GenePink

« Reply #15 on: March 02, 2017, 12:09:55 AM »

Or...

...simply glue/epoxy/urethane the threaded barrel side to the mic clip.

Perhaps also put a dot of glue in the slot of the glued side, to remind you which side not to tighten.

Gene

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #15 on: March 02, 2017, 12:09:55 AM »

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.026 seconds with 24 queries.