ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: one screwdriver mic clips  (Read 7216 times)

Weogo Reed

• Western NC,
    • LiveEdge
one screwdriver mic clips
« on: February 17, 2017, 03:24:16 PM »

Hi Folks,

I really appreciate manufacturers that make mic clips that can be snugged up with one straight blade screwdriver.
One philips screw is ok too.
I have a few clips that can be tightened with a dime(small, thin coin).

But requiring two screwdrivers doesn't make sense to me.
Does a two-screwdriver setup really cost that much less to make than a single?
Is there any good reason for this?

Thanks and good health,  Weogo

Jay Barracato

• Solomons, MD
Re: one screwdriver mic clips
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2017, 03:46:26 PM »

Audio Technica are single slot

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Jay Barracato

Tim Weaver

• College Station, Texas
    • Daniela Weaver Photography
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2017, 07:57:47 PM »

idk about screwdrivers but the greatest thing I ever did was file a flathead tip onto my one-handed knife after I broke the tip one day. Nothing greater than whipping out your pocket knife to tighten that clip right away!
Bullwinkle: This is the amplifier, which amplifies the sound. This is the Preamplifier which, of course, amplifies the pree's.

frank kayser

• Maryland suburbs of Washington DC
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2017, 10:51:05 AM »

idk about screwdrivers but the greatest thing I ever did was file a flathead tip onto my one-handed knife after I broke the tip one day. Nothing greater than whipping out your pocket knife to tighten that clip right away!
I find the two-screwdriver adjustment dangerous.  Especially, straight blade - easy to slip against the opposing hand, also wielding a pointed implement.

Jim McKeveny

« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2017, 08:29:08 AM »

I find the two-screwdriver adjustment dangerous.  Especially, straight blade - easy to slip against the opposing hand, also wielding a pointed implement.

And at eye-level.

Clips like these are conceived in a intellectual vacuum. Normal field adjustment requires 2(2!) matching/similar tools, applied in an unnatural and unsteady manner (already on stand), and with time constraints(because "tightening under-designed, loose-ish,  crappy, mic clips" is not a line-item/coded-in factor).

Look ahead. Junk is junk. Nip it in bud. Little things normally don't count... until they do in a big way. Bottom Line: Nobody gets hurt on my stages!

BTW- I attended a C/M Hoist Class @ Mountain Productions @1993 and was given the moniker "OSHA Man" by classmates because I noted some less-than-safe common practices.

Most shit doesn't just "happen". It is allowed to happen.

« Last Edit: February 27, 2017, 08:36:30 AM by Jim McKeveny »

John Halliburton

• Still has hair and white pointy beard...
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2017, 08:34:16 AM »

And at eye-level.

Clips like these are conceived in a intellectual vacuum. Normal field adjustment requires 2(2!) matching/similar tools, applied in an unnatural and unsteady manner (already on stand), and with time constraints(because "tightening under-designed, loose-ish,  crappy, mic clips" is not a line-item/coded-in factor issue).

Look ahead. Junk is junk. Nip it in bud. Little things normally don't count... until they do in a big way. Bottom Line: Nobody gets hurt on my stages!

BTW- I attended a C/M Hoist Class @ Mountain Productions @1993 and was given the moniker "OSHA Man" by classmates because I noted some less-than-safe common practices.

Most shit doesn't just "happen". It is allowed to happen.

I put up with it, as I still believe the Shure clips are the best out there period.  Two dimes and they're tight.

Best regards,

John

Jim McKeveny

« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2017, 08:46:40 AM »

Two dimes and they're tight.

I love you John. But I disagree:

Numero Uno: Dimes? Shure clips are only used in USA?

Dos: Even if we are talking about state-nonspecific currency, in this plastic-beats-cash world, and with all kinds of travel restrictions, who? has/keeps coins around??

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
Re: one thin dime mic clips
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2017, 11:07:32 AM »

Dos: Even if we are talking about state-nonspecific currency, in this plastic-beats-cash world, and with all kinds of travel restrictions, who? has/keeps coins around??

The guy that uses them to tighten mic clips? Do you know of a suitable alternative that costs less than 10 cents and fits in your pocket without bulging?

Mac

Tim Tyler

• Richmond, Va USA
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2017, 11:13:26 AM »

The guy that uses them to tighten mic clips? Do you know of a suitable alternative that costs less than 10 cents and fits in your pocket without bulging?

Mac

http://www.sears.com/craftsman-offset-ratchet-screwdriver-set/p-00904116000P?sid=IDx01192011x000001&gclid=CjwKEAiAuc_FBRD7_JCM3NSY92wSJABbVoxBxwJrX7Ei1RMTpKnfwWhd3Zk-pY6z8ZvK8DL1iY7SFhoC3Zvw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

A pair of these (or similar).  Not just for mic clips...

-Tim T

Jim McKeveny

« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2017, 11:16:56 AM »

Perhaps I have been de-contenting for fly-ins too long. No socks. No computer. No change.

Your observation is duly noted!
« Last Edit: February 27, 2017, 11:24:08 AM by Jim McKeveny »

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2017, 11:16:56 AM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.033 seconds with 23 queries.