ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Where to go after a Midas M32  (Read 16002 times)

Jay Barracato

• Solomons, MD
Re: Where to go after a Midas M32
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2017, 03:56:30 PM »

If I were a regional provider with outdoor festivals that might require a variety of FOH boards, I would also consider the CL because of the ease that it can serve as a matrix to allow easy swaps between boards

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Jay Barracato

Keith Broughton

• Toronto
« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2017, 04:48:22 PM »

The Yamaha QL5 was my planned upgrade path until I bought a TF5 to test out. The TF5 makes me feel like I have training wheels on while mixing.
Not even close to the same.
QL and CL are "real" consoles and feel and work as such.
I don't care enough to be apathetic

Helge A Bentsen

• Oslo, Norway.
« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2017, 05:37:06 PM »

QL/CL are really nice consoles and a significant step up from TF.

However, in todays market I can buy a brand new Pro1 with two DL153's included in the deal for LESS than a RIO3224. Also, you have to be on a CL desk to get more than 16 mixbusses.

Yamaha is starting to look like a really poor choice in terms of channel count/mix busses and value for money. However, if your customers pay for it....

Btw my little Si Performer 1 does 80(!) channels to mix. Compare that to the QL1's 32 mono/8 stereo.

lindsay Dean

• Classic LAB
« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2017, 05:40:46 PM »

I have been on the cl5 for 3 years
 I would recommend it
wish it had 2 screens but the ipad app stands in nicely.
"A mans got to know his limitations"
     and Pray for higher guidance

Sean Thomas

« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2017, 01:04:11 AM »

A pro series board seems like the logical upgrade path for me but being as it's absolutely nothing like the M32 I don't think I'd like it. Where the heck is that heritage d I saw photo shopped images of....

I think the tough thing for me is I'm looking to get a board we will be mixing on 90% of the time and the other 10% I would like it to be somewhat rider friendly because there is almost no where to rent boards around Fargo, ND.

I am/was in the same position.  I wanted to move up from X32 so just we just went to M32 but also changed our stage box to a DL251.  That might buy you some time if you can sell clients on the Pro Series upgraded pres/AD/DA/analog output.  If you add the DL251, it will integrate in the future when you get a 96k Pro Series or Heritage-D.

George Powell

• http://www.gpaudio.net
« Reply #15 on: February 18, 2017, 08:17:00 AM »

I have been trying to figure out my next console also and after many months of research I will go with the dlive. Prob the c3500.  The rta overlay is the only thing missing that I see (I don't think it has it....yet) but I don't use that so much at FOH. The processing in the stage box will be nice for my corporate gigs where I don't want to run a snake through the seating area or smaller gigs that I am lazy and don't want to load in the surface and will just use an iPad or 2in1 computer .  I will be using the console 90% of the time and I have found with a conversation I can get most of my acts to try out the what I have.  I almost bought an SC48 but I can't bring myself to invest in that old of a board especially with no iPad app,  an economical digital snake and the price they are still bringing. It's a great board but this will be a long term investment that needs to take me far into the future.  I'm a buy and hold kind of guy. I don't hear any faults with the Dlive except for the history with Psu's. Maybe that's why some of them have two swappable supplies.
My next hurdle is if I really need one.  My x32's seem to be working just fine for 98% of my gigs.  I could add 20k to my bottom line this year by not buying anything........  it's a weird business we are in. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Clair i212
Lab Gruppen
Versarray
VRX
LS9
X32
www.gpaudio.net

State College, Pa 16803

brian maddox

• HeyYahWon! ttsss! ttsss!
« Reply #16 on: February 18, 2017, 10:30:11 AM »

My next hurdle is if I really need one.  My x32's seem to be working just fine for 98% of my gigs.  I could add 20k to my bottom line this year by not buying anything........  it's a weird business we are in. 

This is the actual answer to your question.  It's just that you don't really want it to be.  :)
"It feels wrong to be in the audience.  And it's too peopley!" - Steve Smith

brian maddox
[email protected]
Savannah, GA

'...do not trifle with the affairs of dragons...

....for you are crunchy, and taste good with ketchup...'

Jeff Lelko

• Cape Canaveral, FL
« Reply #17 on: February 18, 2017, 10:59:09 AM »

I have been trying to figure out my next console also and after many months of research...

Same here, though I'm going on about a year. 

My next hurdle is if I really need one.  My x32's seem to be working just fine for 98% of my gigs. 

Yep, and that's the real crux of the matter for me.  Is it really worth it to drop 5 figures on a board when in most cases an X32, Qu32, SI Impact, etc. will work just fine and make money for me all day long at a fraction of the cost?  There's a fairly steep price difference between the "lounge level" digital boards and even the entry-level pro consoles.  If rider acceptability isn't a concern and what you have keeps working, I'd vote to stick with it!  Maybe then just rent the larger console for the 2% of jobs that require it...

Steve Eudaly

• Headline Productions
« Reply #18 on: February 18, 2017, 12:32:32 PM »

AVID SC48.  Yeah, I know it's older and TDM will see no new plugins.  My guess is it's got another 5 years of rider acceptability.

As much as I really want a DiGiCo for my own mixing pleasure, I'm with Tim on this one. If you must buy a "big boy" console, even in 2017 I still think the SC48 is the way to go from a business standpoint. We have one in the shop to compliment our small fleet of X32s and it always fits the bill when a rider comes into play. We rent a second one as needed.

If you don't get in too big of a hurry to buy, good deals on used tour packages can be had.

EDIT: TL;DR: IMO if you only have one "big boy" option in the shop, to me the SC48 is the one to have.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2017, 12:37:56 PM by Steven Eudaly »

Roland Clarke

« Reply #19 on: February 19, 2017, 05:55:39 AM »

I'll echo a lot of the previous comments.  Used a QL5 for the first time a month or so ago and it was a decent console at the right price point, a kinda mc7l for today.  The SC48 is a good choice for all the reasons mentioned by others above.  The pro consoles and the Digicos are ok consoles, but bad layout.  I still have a major problem in that most consoles have fairly average effects, one of the reasons I don't like the Qu A&H, I haven't seen the d-live so not sure if they are any better in this respect.  The S6L is top of the tree in this respect, but obviously has a large form factor and price, but it's years ahead of the competition in concept and execution.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: February 19, 2017, 05:55:39 AM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.019 seconds with 24 queries.