ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Wireless mics for "talking heads"  (Read 13063 times)

Bob Faulkner

• Raleigh, NC
Wireless mics for "talking heads"
« on: February 15, 2017, 06:42:20 PM »

Anyone recommend an average quality hand-held wireless mic that has good range (around 100 ft)?  Nothing special, it would only be used for public speaking. 

I have an old Audio-technica wireless handheld that's been great.  It has a very good range... much better than the AKG (sorry, forgot the model #) I use.

Would like to find something that has great range; sound quality can be fair - it will only be used for public announcements.

John Rutirasiri

Re: Wireless mics for "talking heads"
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2017, 07:00:07 PM »

New:  Shure PGXD24/SM58 or Beta 58 if you can swing a bit more.  I believe there's only one band sold in the US.
Used:  Shure ULXS or ULXP in G3 band, also with SM58 or Beta 58.

John R.
ClearImpact Sound & Event Services, Inc.
Sound/Lighting/Corporate A/V

"If it ain't broke, make it better."

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2017, 07:01:16 PM »

Anyone recommend an average quality hand-held wireless mic that has good range (around 100 ft)?  Nothing special, it would only be used for public speaking. 

I have an old Audio-technica wireless handheld that's been great.  It has a very good range... much better than the AKG (sorry, forgot the model #) I use.

Would like to find something that has great range; sound quality can be fair - it will only be used for public announcements.

Used Sennheiser G1 - eW835 in the A band if you can find it.  The FCC reverse auction has concluded and it looks like for markets smaller than the Top 10 the forward auction will not claim bandwidth below 614 (if I understood the chart correctly).  Somebody correct me if I got that wrong...
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Ray Aberle

• Classic LAB
  • Located in Vancouver, WA (and serves OR-WA-ID-BC)
    • Kelcema Audio
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2017, 09:27:00 PM »

New:  Shure PGXD24/SM58 or Beta 58 if you can swing a bit more.  I believe there's only one band sold in the US.
Used:  Shure ULXS or ULXP in G3 band, also with SM58 or Beta 58.
Correct; the PGXD is only available in X8 (900-something MHz band).

ULXP is no longer available new, but you can still order ULXS.

Sennheiser G3 is what I would do in the sub-$650 budget range for new. We've got a bunch of those, and they've always worked really well even without external antenna.

-Ray

disclaimer: Dealer for both Shure & Sennheiser.
Kelcema Audio
Regional - Serving Pacific Northwest (OR, WA, ID, BC)

veditor78

« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2017, 10:25:28 PM »

I've been using the EW100 G3 series for years without issue. They are a great value for the price. Metal construction, easy freq. syncing, remote battery status indicator, variable gain on TX and RX, even a few EQ presets in the RX. Much more bang for the buck than the Shure equivalent.
Josh Rawls

Bob Faulkner

• Raleigh, NC
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2017, 05:18:10 AM »

Thanks for the suggestions.  Do either of the ones mentioned have a good distance range?  Was hoping for something around 100 ft.

Thanks.

Randy Pence

• Berlin, Germany
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2017, 08:45:18 AM »

The increased directionality of the beta 58 was a bane in my talking head days.  Too often they would speak into space outside of the pattern

Stephen Kirby

« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2017, 02:05:42 PM »

I've gotten my Senn G3 out to FOH (~100'+) for testing outdoors in a fairly clean environment using the antenna kit for the rack mount (which has some attenuation) sitting side stage.  Not sure how it would work in a conference room full of cell phones and laptops.

Bob Faulkner

• Raleigh, NC
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2017, 01:33:04 PM »

Thanks for all the suggestions.

Anyone have experience with a Senn "XS Wireless"?  (this may be a new product from Senn).   I'm still needing to find something that is in the sub $300 range.   

The mic doesn't need to be of quality that a singer/performer would need (or desire); it needs to sound ok, but needs to be able to transmit ~100 ft. away from the receiver.  This is strictly for speaking, no singing or performances.

Thanks.

Scott Olewiler

• Trust me, it will be loud enough.
    • 4th Street Sound
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2017, 02:30:54 PM »

Thanks for all the suggestions.

Anyone have experience with a Senn "XS Wireless"?  (this may be a new product from Senn).   I'm still needing to find something that is in the sub $300 range.   

The mic doesn't need to be of quality that a singer/performer would need (or desire); it needs to sound ok, but needs to be able to transmit ~100 ft. away from the receiver.  This is strictly for speaking, no singing or performances.

Thanks.

Bob,

I have an XSW35. Range is very good, although I am not certain I've ever had it taken 100 ft.  Sound quality is good. Big issue is the plastic body. The handling noise is horrible. You can HPF it out but then you end up with a very thin sound, which is much more noticebale with speech only events. 

I bought one because it was cheap, and then ended up buying 2 EW135  mics. 
We're here to deliver the sound equipment. Who has the check?

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2017, 02:30:54 PM »

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.037 seconds with 24 queries.