ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Chauvet Rogue line questions  (Read 8508 times)

Steve Kosiba

Re: Chauvet Rogue line questions
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2017, 05:49:36 AM »

You might also be interested on this light company which uses mostly Chauvet Pro gear (and some Elation).
http://www.squeeklights.com/
At the bottom of the home page are some links to trade journal articles which are informative.
Kind of fortuitous that I randomly check PSW today - one of the partners of Squeek Lights here, and we do love our Chauvet.  I'm more the operations guy, Victor is the one out on the road, but we also send out a lot of tours with a TM or stage tech running the lights.  I've got plenty of experience doing shows with Rogues though, both with Squeek and with other and previous employers.

The R1 Spots are about equal to a Studio Spot 575 with a new lamp.  The R2 Spots are about equal to a MAC700 with a new lamp.  In both cases, part of this is due to the higher color temp of the Rogues, but that seems to be desirable in concert & event fixtures right now.  In color, the R2 is brighter than the 700 because it uses color chips instead of color mixing and doesn't zoom so there are fewer optical elements in the way of things.  I did multiple shootouts at a previous employer with the Rogues against their rental fixtures.

I would solidly recommend R1 Spots if you're looking for something to double the punch of 250 fixtures.  The gobo selection in the R1 Spot is superior to the R2 Spot IMO, but if you need the color selection of the R2 it's a great fixture as well.  The iris is also a really nice addition on the R2, I've used it to get "poor man's beam" looks plenty of times, and it looks really good if you can black out everything else, drop the iris down to about 25% open, and drop in the frost.  Keep it in a bright color like white, yellow, or light blue and it's a killer look.

Something else to consider if you're not doing big rooms is the Chauvet DJ Intimidator Hybrid 140 SR or the Intimidator Spot 375Z.  These would both be great in up to 800 cap rooms or more.  In particular if you're looking at R1 beams I'd take a look at the Intimidator Hybrid 140 SR, killer fixture with a 6000 hour lamp life.  I'm told it's made in the same factory as the Rogues, so better build quality than the old Intimidators, and it's got an omega bracket instead of that pesky allen key bolt bracket.  I saw these at LDI and was impressed.  If you're thinking that they won't be bright enough, remember that the Rogue RH-1s with a 280 watt lamp are used in stadium shows.  The Intimidator Hybrid 140 SR is basically a baby RH-1.  You could fit a 4-pack of these units in a 1/4 x 1/3 pack case.

Disclaimers - partner in Squeek Lights and dealer for Chauvet.  I've been a fan of Chauvet Pro for years though, just ask any of my previous employers...

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2017, 03:07:06 AM »

One of our venues has 6 Rogue R1 spots.  They look good and my guess is they're brighter than a Mac 250 by a full f-stop.  The venue had one unit fail; Chauvet fixed it under warranty (I think it was just out of the warranty period) when the dealer intervened on behalf of the venue.  These get no cleaning or maintenance (they're 20 feet in the air) so over all, I'm impressed for what they cost.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

William Schnake

• Schnake Sound & Light
« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2017, 07:44:04 AM »

Right now, looking at the Chauvet Rogue line, a lot of the used fixtures I've seen are around $200-$300 less than buying new.  So do you save $200-$300, and maybe have to replace a bulb (beam) or have some hrs on the LED's, or spend it, get a NIB and factory warranty to go with.

Matt, sounds like you and I are in the same place.  I was looking at Mac 250, but decided that I would go with the Rogue R1 Spot instead.  We are buying 7 for the back truss and then moving the Chauvet Intimidator 350 Spots that we have (4) of them to vertical truss. We are purchasing new on the Rogue R1s.  The reason is warranty and not wanting to inherit anyone else's problems.

Good luck.

Bill
Bill Schnake - Owner Schnake Sound & Light

Avid/Crown/EAW/EV/Midas/RCF/Shure/Yamaha

schnakesound.com

Matt Greiner

« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2017, 05:15:46 PM »

Yeah Bill, I really leaning towards new now.  Might make the trip to St. Louis for the USITT show.  Otherwise there might be a demo at a dealer in Milwaukee sometime later this year.  Hopefully I get to one of them to see them in action.

Aaron Talley

« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2017, 09:13:45 PM »

We have 30 of the R2 washes and 36 of the R2 beams. I have no hesitation about the rogue line. I have had absolutely no problems with them. Cases for them from Chauvet are cheap too.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2017, 09:13:45 PM »

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.044 seconds with 26 queries.