ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12   Go Down

Author Topic: New to passive PA  (Read 36139 times)

Geert Friedhof

Re: New to passive PA
« Reply #100 on: February 17, 2017, 09:22:23 AM »

The JBL PRX715xlf is a very surprising sub for its size and weight and although now in short supply due to it being discontinued, I am sure the replacement - the PRX815xlf would be just as good if not better. I had 2 of them and only sold them recently to allow more room for the 18" subs I use more frequently. They were great for bar work. They were also nice for load in and out - I could pick each one up myself - easily!.
Excellent low end, nice tight punchy sound to the kick drum. Weighs 25.4kg

https://www.thomann.de/gb/jbl_prx815xlfw.htm?ref=search_prv_6

Think availability and resale value. Can Justin get another one after a year or so?

Wouldn't the RCF 705-AS II (28kg) be a better choice?

https://www.thomann.de/gb/rcf_sub_705_as_ii.htm?ref=search_prv_5

Still i think starting with one 18" instead of 15" is the way to go forward.

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #101 on: February 17, 2017, 09:46:14 AM »

Think availability and resale value. Can Justin get another one after a year or so?

Wouldn't the RCF 705-AS II (28kg) be a better choice?

https://www.thomann.de/gb/rcf_sub_705_as_ii.htm?ref=search_prv_5

Still i think starting with one 18" instead of 15" is the way to go forward.

The PRX815xlf was only just released so if he can get one now, he will get one in a year or so.

Only he can choose whether he should go for a 15" or an 18". The more recommendations he is given, the better. The Yamaha 15" was brought up earlier so I figured I'd offer another 15" for consideration.

If he can support an 18" sub ( travel space, storage space, weight etc) then I agree he should get one and look to add another down the road.

A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

Mark Wilkinson

« Reply #102 on: February 17, 2017, 12:48:51 PM »

That makes sense, thanks for setting me straight. :)

In the LAB Horn's defense, it did sound better IMO. Though there are 1000's of factors; so not really a useful spec.

As a Labhorn owner whose currently shopping to add some smaller more portable subs, I recently had a listen to the dxs18.  Very impressed, but even being the big brother to the dxs15, it was far from a match against a single lab flattened out a bit. 
Again, very impressed.  If the dxs18 weighed 15lbs less, I would grap them.  (Pure aside...current front-runner is  JTR growler, although thinking strongly about  DIY single 18.)

As Tim explained, labs aren't meant to be used singly.  My guess is, if that wasn't the case, and/or it wasn't a matter of a narrow droning note that matched a dxs peak and a labhorn valley....well, my guess is that there was probably something messing up a direct comparison ....drive level mismatch between  the self-powered dxs and passive labs, leaking lab (that kills em), poor construction, etc. 

It amazes me how much drivers have advanced since the labhorn's design, but how well the labs still hold up in comparisons (for at least the limited array I'm able to compare against) 
It is wasn't for thermal capacity, I bet folks would still be building them..

Geert Friedhof

« Reply #103 on: February 17, 2017, 10:29:58 PM »

The JBL PRX715xlf is a very surprising sub for its size and weight and although now in short supply due to it being discontinued, I am sure the replacement - the PRX815xlf would be just as good if not better.

Sorry Debbie, i misread.

Justin Addison

« Reply #104 on: March 08, 2017, 08:09:42 AM »

Just a quick update.

new RCF speakers arrived in superfast time (also purchased these on interest free credit from a UK shop). Only downside is they came with European plugs (2 pins rather than the UK 3 pin version) but not a problem as I have loads of spare IEC leads with correct plugs...

I have also sent back the other kit to HiFi Tower and got a full refund which is now sat in my savings account :) .

I quickly tested the speakers and desk in my house with a vocal mic and couldn't get them to full volume - they are seriously loud and can't wait to get them to a rehearsal.

The first few rehearsals are already booked in a room with PA & Amps pre-installed so won't need them initially, but hopefully in a month or so.

Anyway - would like to thank you all for your help / advice / critisicm as if I hadn't come on here I think I would have been stuck with a half hearted PA system.

Thanks again :)

Chrysander 'C.R.' Young

• North Central FL
« Reply #105 on: March 08, 2017, 08:46:52 AM »

I love a story with a happy ending. 

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #106 on: March 08, 2017, 09:05:30 AM »

Just a quick update.

new RCF speakers arrived in superfast time (also purchased these on interest free credit from a UK shop). Only downside is they came with European plugs (2 pins rather than the UK 3 pin version) but not a problem as I have loads of spare IEC leads with correct plugs...

I have also sent back the other kit to HiFi Tower and got a full refund which is now sat in my savings account :) .

I quickly tested the speakers and desk in my house with a vocal mic and couldn't get them to full volume - they are seriously loud and can't wait to get them to a rehearsal.

The first few rehearsals are already booked in a room with PA & Amps pre-installed so won't need them initially, but hopefully in a month or so.

Anyway - would like to thank you all for your help / advice / critisicm as if I hadn't come on here I think I would have been stuck with a half hearted PA system.

Thanks again :)

Phew..... good job Justin.
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
« Reply #107 on: March 08, 2017, 09:18:43 AM »

So you've taken the advice offered in the first reply 10 pages and three weeks back.  Well done...
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

Steve Garris

« Reply #108 on: March 08, 2017, 01:21:20 PM »

Excellent - keep us advised.

I've lost track - Which RCF speakers did you buy?

David Allred

« Reply #109 on: March 08, 2017, 03:42:04 PM »

I really wish you could have done an A-B comparison.  You would definitely be smiling right now.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #109 on: March 08, 2017, 03:42:04 PM »

Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.046 seconds with 26 queries.