ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 12   Go Down

Author Topic: New to passive PA  (Read 36535 times)

Ray Aberle

• Classic LAB
  • Located in Vancouver, WA (and serves OR-WA-ID-BC)
    • Kelcema Audio
Re: New to passive PA
« Reply #20 on: February 14, 2017, 11:57:32 AM »

I've just spent the best part of £2k on a Les Paul and Marshall Amp - cashflow is now an issue - also, paid gigs round here don't pay much (lucky if we get £150-£200 / gig) which would be split 4 ways

I don't want to joint own anything
... 5 ways... the sound system gets a cut... right? Or is that just your kind contribution to your fellow band mates, and you're not expecting to recoup your investment?

-Ray
Kelcema Audio
Regional - Serving Pacific Northwest (OR, WA, ID, BC)

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #21 on: February 14, 2017, 12:32:46 PM »

... 5 ways... the sound system gets a cut... right? Or is that just your kind contribution to your fellow band mates, and you're not expecting to recoup your investment?

-Ray
What about the truck to get it there?  It should get a cut.
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

Scott Olewiler

• Trust me, it will be loud enough.
    • 4th Street Sound
« Reply #22 on: February 14, 2017, 12:42:05 PM »

It amazes me when people buy top of the line instruments because "they sound amazing". Then purchase audio gear that won't reproduce the sound of the instruments they purchased.

I was thinkingg the exact same thing. I can make my Epiphone LP and Roland Cube amp sound every bit as good as 2k worth of guitar/amp to the average listener, but I can't make a cheap PA sound good. 
We're here to deliver the sound equipment. Who has the check?

David Allred

« Reply #23 on: February 14, 2017, 12:53:38 PM »

2) Dual 15" tops
2) Subs
2) Amps
4) Speakon cables

All for $900?
Are you sure you CAN'T return them? Or just don't want to?  2 powered 12' or 15" speakers (Yorkville, JBL, RCF, EV, Yamaha) can be got for that price new.  The same with a single powered sub, MIGHT could be got used for that price or a tad more.

However, given what you have, the subs have a LPF (high cut filter) so an active cross-over is not REQUIRED.  The Amps have 1/4" in with RCA paralleled (assumed) out.  1/4" from the mixer, into the first amp (doesn't matter which), thin jump RCA out to RCA in on the second amp.  This is really a full range system with low end enhancement.  You might actually blow fewer speakers trying to get enough low end, but if you do blow a speaker, it will likely be several at once.  If a catastrophic event happens, you'll be left with 2khz and up.

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #24 on: February 14, 2017, 01:02:19 PM »

I've just spent the best part of £2k on a Les Paul and Marshall Amp

Hi Justin-

Well mate, that's where your money went.  Now you have a nice personal instrument & rig and a duff PA.  You made your choice about where to invest in perceived quality.

If you were posting on a guitarist forum and had done the opposite, buying a store-branded guitar and amplifier but got a nice RCF PA, you'd get the same response you're getting here.  Just think about that for a moment.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
« Reply #25 on: February 14, 2017, 01:23:55 PM »

You seem to be looking for someone to justify your purchase.  You are not listening to reason, simply want to believe that you can get all that gear for a price.

You still need mics, stands, cables and a mixer.  That will run you more than you spend on these speakers.

For that price the construction has to be so poor that the chances of them staying assembled during just a single transport seems unlikely.

You were given good advice, return it and get a good powered speaker. 

To then go and boast how much you spent on your guitar gave us another glimpse into your emotional state.

Keep in mind a decent set of Yamaha, QSC or JBL speakers.  Something you can count on is 7 times what you spent.  An inexpensive PA is 3 times what you spent.  The lack of meaningful specs from an unknown brand seals the deal.

Buy a couple of decent used tops such as the recommend EV's and move on.

Or you can do what you want and suffer the consequences of your decision.

Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Chris Grimshaw

• Sheffield, UK
    • Grimshaw Audio
« Reply #26 on: February 14, 2017, 01:39:05 PM »

Justin,

Since the prices in your link were in English Pounds, I assume you're somewhere in the UK.
If you're near Sheffield, hit me up. I'd be happy to bring a selection of kit over for you to listen to, and also help you set yours up. If you like what your kit does, run with it. If not, you'll have a better idea of what will do what you need.

Chris
Sheffield-based sound engineering.
www.grimshawaudio.com

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
« Reply #27 on: February 14, 2017, 01:55:50 PM »

Take a look:  https://www.thomann.de/gb/ev_zlx_12p_b_stock.htm

A pair of these and two tripod stands will outrun and outlast the pile you bought for essentially the same money.  The pile can only be ground stacked and any of the energy spewed out will go no farther than the first row of bodies in the audience.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2017, 02:03:26 PM by dick rees »
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

Thomas Le

« Reply #28 on: February 14, 2017, 01:59:17 PM »

Wouldn't be surprised if those weak piezo drivers gave way after a few minutes in the gig, whole rig screams cheap amateur DJ. Was there an option to rent instead?

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #29 on: February 14, 2017, 02:56:44 PM »

Justin,

Since the prices in your link were in English Pounds, I assume you're somewhere in the UK.
If you're near Sheffield, hit me up. I'd be happy to bring a selection of kit over for you to listen to, and also help you set yours up. If you like what your kit does, run with it. If not, you'll have a better idea of what will do what you need.

Chris

That's very nice of you, Chris.  I hope Justin is able to take up your offer.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #29 on: February 14, 2017, 02:56:44 PM »

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 12   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.044 seconds with 23 queries.