ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 12   Go Down

Author Topic: New to passive PA  (Read 36487 times)

Justin Addison

Re: New to passive PA
« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2017, 11:03:11 AM »

Without knowing what amps speakers and processing you intend to use  may I suggest you review your hopeful venues and see what others use, maybe even hire sound at first. Money spent on not just product but valuable advice and real world demonstration of what is actually needed for your bands needs and expectations.
    Unless you are trying to piece together a bunch of older used, maybe abused or probably outdated gear then please consider that passive speakers, well matched amps, decent crossovers, eq, or good dsp plus the multitude of cables and snakes etc. needed to make it all work can and usually will dwarf the cost of a well researched self powered system.
   Best of luck and see if whoever sold you those amps will honor a return/refund, that should tell you alot about them.

The kit is bought as a job lot so should be matched (check the link I posted in the opening post)
Seems that I should be ok with 8 Ohms so just need to figure out how to connect 2 amplifiers to my mixer...

Seems you all think I've bought a load of crap - I need to mic full rock band - how bad can they be? really?

Just like I said earlier - I used to have RCF active setup worth around £3k but that aint an option anymore.

Just an FYI - this is a hobby, not a money-making band - playing in pubs and small clubs - surely this will be adequate?
« Last Edit: February 14, 2017, 11:12:56 AM by Justin Addison »

Ray Aberle

• Classic LAB
  • Located in Vancouver, WA (and serves OR-WA-ID-BC)
    • Kelcema Audio
« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2017, 11:18:35 AM »

The kit is bought as a job lot so should be matched (check the link I posted in the opening post)
It's matched alright. A pile of rubbish, all perfectly matched.... lolz.

Seems that I should be ok with 8 Ohms so just need to figure out how to connect 2 amplifiers to my mixer...
Wouldn't the shop who sold it to you also shown you how to connect it?

Seems you all think I've bought a load of crap - I need to mic full rock band - how bad can they be? really?
Ask yourself that the first time you're bringing in one or more of these speakers to get re-coned after you blew one, trying to get it loud enough or sounding good enough to handle this band... I mean, we all HOPE that doesn't happen, but at the same time, that's how you learn... The people offering their opinion(s) on this "system" have seen these "DJ In A Box" packages many times.... there's quite a few 'red flags' from that retailer's link that indicate this probably is not a quality system. I liked the "kick-free speakon cable," whatever the hell THAT means.

Just like I said earlier - I used to have RCF active setup worth around £3k but that aint an option anymore.
Two thoughts:

"Buy Once, Cry Once."

"The Wrong Piece Of Gear At The Right Price Is Still The Wrong Piece Of Gear."

You'll be hard-pressed to come here and find validation for your purchase, and we can certainly help you get it setup right... but I think the group consensus here is that you're probably not going to be satisfied with the results, with this setup... The mixer, sure, you can salvage that, but the rest... might be your tuition in Ye Olde School Of Hard Knocks.

-Ray
Kelcema Audio
Regional - Serving Pacific Northwest (OR, WA, ID, BC)

Ray Aberle

• Classic LAB
  • Located in Vancouver, WA (and serves OR-WA-ID-BC)
    • Kelcema Audio
« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2017, 11:22:02 AM »

Just an FYI - this is a hobby, not a money-making band - playing in pubs and small clubs - surely this will be adequate?
Just a word of caution though-- I would strongly urge you to test this system out, with your fully-mic'd band, privately, prior to running at a club "with your name attached to the performance" -- the last thing you want to do is take it out, have it perform poorly, and now even if you DO buy more/better kit, you'll have a "poor sound" stigma attached to your group, and it'll be really hard to get other venues to hire you in.

-Ray
Kelcema Audio
Regional - Serving Pacific Northwest (OR, WA, ID, BC)

John Rutirasiri

« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2017, 11:25:54 AM »

Matched as in what?  Junk goes with junk?

I'd be surprised if they make it through the night.

If you don't have the money now for a decent system, start playing (paid) gigs and start saving.  Then buy something that is of reasonable quality, even second-hand, and that has some resale value when you get rid of it (e.g. your old RCF system.) 

In the mean time, find sponsors or negotiate with the club to pay for all or part of PA rental.

John R.

ClearImpact Sound & Event Services, Inc.
Sound/Lighting/Corporate A/V

"If it ain't broke, make it better."

Will Knight

• Queens, NY
« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2017, 11:27:05 AM »

Just a word of caution though-- I would strongly urge you to test this system out, with your fully-mic'd band, privately, prior to running at a club "with your name attached to the performance" -- the last thing you want to do is take it out, have it perform poorly, and now even if you DO buy more/better kit, you'll have a "poor sound" stigma attached to your group, and it'll be really hard to get other venues to hire you in.

-Ray

This!
Strive not to be a success, but rather to be of value — Albert Einstein.

Justin Addison

« Reply #15 on: February 14, 2017, 11:27:19 AM »

-Ray

Of course that would be done.

Justin Addison

« Reply #16 on: February 14, 2017, 11:30:33 AM »

Matched as in what?  Junk goes with junk?

Helpful - thanks

I'd be surprised if they make it through the night.

Helpful - thanks

If you don't have the money now for a decent system, start playing (paid) gigs and start saving.  Then buy something that is of reasonable quality, even second-hand, and that has some resale value when you get rid of it (e.g. your old RCF system.) 

In the mean time, find sponsors or negotiate with the club to pay for all or part of PA rental.

John R.

I've just spent the best part of £2k on a Les Paul and Marshall Amp - cashflow is now an issue - also, paid gigs round here don't pay much (lucky if we get £150-£200 / gig) which would be split 4 ways

I don't want to joint own anything

John Rutirasiri

« Reply #17 on: February 14, 2017, 11:37:23 AM »

When I first started playing, we pooled our money to get a halfway decent used PA.  As I started doing gigs which the band was not involved, I used the jointly-owned gear but paid off each bandmate's investment.  Pretty soon all the gear was paid for, the band members were happy to get money back, we could still use the system for the band, and I owned it.
ClearImpact Sound & Event Services, Inc.
Sound/Lighting/Corporate A/V

"If it ain't broke, make it better."

Benjamin Gingerich

• LifeSound AV
« Reply #18 on: February 14, 2017, 11:40:32 AM »

I've just spent the best part of £2k on a Les Paul and Marshall Amp - cashflow is now an issue - also, paid gigs round here don't pay much (lucky if we get £150-£200 / gig) which would be split 4 ways

It amazes me when people buy top of the line instruments because "they sound amazing". Then purchase audio gear that won't reproduce the sound of the instruments they purchased.
Benjamin Gingerich
Project Manager - LifeSound Av - Macon, Georgia
Air Force Reserves- Electrical Power Production
AA Electrical & Mechanical Engineering

Will Knight

• Queens, NY
« Reply #19 on: February 14, 2017, 11:48:04 AM »

Justin, please don't take the advice being offered here by members personally.  They have decades of experience, some have gone a similar route that you are now going (I know, I was one of those people 45 years ago), and you will learn - A LOT - AND save $ to boot.

There's an old saying that good news will travel but bad news travels FAST!.  You're band only needs 1 "bad" outing from poor sound to ruin chances for future gigs (unless of course you move out of town).  So stick around, listen and learn and SAVE YOUR $ until you can afford decent equipment.  If you REALLY must use what your purchase, just make sure the volume knob stays around 9.  Higher (Louder?) will in all likelyhood, damage the speakers and you'll be in a worse boat, having unrepairable equipment with zero resale value, and back to "buying again".  As was noted earlier, "Buy Once, Cry Once". 

Good Luck...
Strive not to be a success, but rather to be of value — Albert Einstein.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: February 14, 2017, 11:48:04 AM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 12   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.04 seconds with 22 queries.