ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 12   Go Down

Author Topic: New to passive PA  (Read 36124 times)

Justin Addison

New to passive PA
« on: February 14, 2017, 08:52:08 AM »

Hi All, I am new here - I will introduce my self first:
I was a mobile DJ running and active RCF setup for the loudspeakers which I loved but unfortunately had to sell on when I hung up my headphones.

Anyway, many years later (now to be precise) I am starting my old live band up again and delving in to the realms of passive speaker setups (on a bit of a budget really) but want most power I can from the setup I can afford.

I opted for this (hope links are allowed): http://www.hifi-tower.co.uk/PA-System-Summer-Nights-II-3500W-Dual-15-Inch-Speakers-Bass-Bins-Amplifiers-DJ-Disco_i5649.htm

And also purchased a Soundcraft EFX12 mixer.

Right, onto my question:
Can I run both amps (Sytec SKY1500II & Skytec SKY2000II) from my mixing desk - if so, do I need any special cables/connectors?

Then I want to run 2x8ohm speakers from each amp (2 tops & 2 subs). Can I just switch the amp to Bridge mode, then go from amp CH1 to speaker, then speaker to speaker (I assume this will generate 4 ohms).

Then do the same for the subs?

So effectively I will be using 1 channel on each amp.

I hope this makes sense - just so you know the amp and speakers have speakon connectors.

Sorry for waffling - any help would be appreciated (also, this seup is already purchased so suggestions for other makes/models won't be very helpful.

Thanks
Justin

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
Posting Rules
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2017, 09:04:15 AM »

Hi All, I am new here

Please read and follow the posting rules.

Mac

Justin Addison

Re: Posting Rules
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2017, 09:18:50 AM »

Please read and follow the posting rules.

Mac

OK, done that thanks

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
Re: New to passive PA
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2017, 09:32:01 AM »

Justin... 

If you are still able to return this...ahem..."PA" gear and get your money back, do so ASAP.  Then ask your questions, purchase something worth the price and rock on.
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

Dave Pluke

• Northwest GA, USA
    • BIGG GRIN Productions
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2017, 09:32:41 AM »

Can I run both amps (Sytec SKY1500II & Skytec SKY2000II) from my mixing desk - if so, do I need any special cables/connectors?

Then I want to run 2x8ohm speakers from each amp (2 tops & 2 subs). Can I just switch the amp to Bridge mode, then go from amp CH1 to speaker, then speaker to speaker (I assume this will generate 4 ohms).

Then do the same for the subs?

According to the specs in that link, those amps are not rated to run 4 ohms in Bridged mode (nor 2 ohms in Stereo mode).  While some may prefer running amps Bridged, I see more potential for misapplications than advantages.

Run your amps in Stereo - even if you mix in Mono.  One speaker per amp channel.  You may need some shielded "Y" cables to connect the Mixer to all Amp channels.

I've never seen that brand of amp before and the information is limited.  It appears as though they are more home hifi focused than Pro Audio (RCA and 1/4" Phone jack inputs rather than Balanced XLR).  It also appears as though they intend users to rely upon the internal crossovers (low pass / high pass filters) to separate frequencies.  That may not deliver the best results, but try it and see.

Dave
...an analog man in a digital world [tm]

Flying direct to nearly everywhere out of ATL

Justin Addison

« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2017, 09:56:48 AM »

According to the specs in that link, those amps are not rated to run 4 ohms in Bridged mode (nor 2 ohms in Stereo mode).  While some may prefer running amps Bridged, I see more potential for misapplications than advantages.

This is the Spec: PA amplifier with 2000W (2x 1000) max. power at 4 ohms (2 x 750W @ 8 Ohms or 1 x 2000W max at 8 ohms - Bridged mode)

Bridgeable - capable of 2- and 1- channel operation

Bridgeable: stereo and mono mode

Run your amps in Stereo - even if you mix in Mono.  One speaker per amp channel.  You may need some shielded "Y" cables to connect the Mixer to all Amp channels.

I've never seen that brand of amp before and the information is limited.  It appears as though they are more home hifi focused than Pro Audio (RCA and 1/4" Phone jack inputs rather than Balanced XLR).  It also appears as though they intend users to rely upon the internal crossovers (low pass / high pass filters) to separate frequencies.  That may not deliver the best results, but try it and see.

Dave

I don't see many 'home users' using speakon connectors but I may be wrong...

So I may have to buy an active crossover?

Justin Addison

« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2017, 10:00:26 AM »

Justin... 

If you are still able to return this...ahem..."PA" gear and get your money back, do so ASAP.  Then ask your questions, purchase something worth the price and rock on.

Sorry, Not an option - yes I would love to spend £3k-4k on a nice system - if I won the lottery! lol
« Last Edit: February 14, 2017, 10:08:21 AM by Justin Addison »

David Scoville

« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2017, 10:29:26 AM »

Sorry, Not an option - yes I could spend £3k-4k on a nice system - if I won the lottery! lol

Without knowing what amps speakers and processing you intend to use  may I suggest you review your hopeful venues and see what others use, maybe even hire sound at first. Money spent on not just product but valuable advice and real world demonstration of what is actually needed for your bands needs and expectations.
    Unless you are trying to piece together a bunch of older used, maybe abused or probably outdated gear then please consider that passive speakers, well matched amps, decent crossovers, eq, or good dsp plus the multitude of cables and snakes etc. needed to make it all work can and usually will dwarf the cost of a well researched self powered system.
   Best of luck and see if whoever sold you those amps will honor a return/refund, that should tell you alot about them.

Will Knight

• Queens, NY
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2017, 10:55:24 AM »

Sorry, Not an option - yes I would love to spend £3k-4k on a nice system - if I won the lottery! lol

Justin, all kidding aside, Dick is correct.  If there is ANY way possible to return the system, that would be your best, logical first step.  What you have there are speakers and amps that will make noise....and not necessarily for audience enjoyment.  Besides, you'll need a LOT more stuff to try and make this sound "right"...?!?!? 

You would be far better served, depending on the music style of you're band - and your budget - to buy ONE (1) POWERED Sub and ONE (1) POWERED TOP...even if they are USED and in good condition.  This eliminates the need for buying separates, you'd have a reputable manufacturer to fall back on for any service or technical questions and finally, stand a good chance that the equipment would hold up.  When more $ becoming available, you can always add more.  But as I see it - and I'm sure other forum members will as well, this equipment will not serve you well, in either the short or long run.   

If you can't return it for a refund, suggest you try and sell it as quickly as you can...

Strive not to be a success, but rather to be of value — Albert Einstein.

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2017, 10:55:33 AM »

I checked the link to your gear.  That seller has NOTHING worth purchasing for lve sound at ANY price.  For the money you flushed down the loo you could have gone to Thomann and gotten two good powered speakers that would surpass that pile you bought, then added some subs down the line.  The EV ZLX 12's would be great for your use and budget.

And Thomann will stand behind their sales, provide warranty service, etc, something that HiFi Tower will not do.

If you think this news is depressing, wait until you try to get usable performance from those boxes.  Sorry.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2017, 10:57:53 AM by dick rees »
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2017, 10:55:33 AM »

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 12   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.038 seconds with 26 queries.