ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 12   Go Down

Author Topic: New to passive PA  (Read 36531 times)

lindsay Dean

• Classic LAB
Re: New to passive PA
« Reply #70 on: February 15, 2017, 03:07:43 PM »

EXCEPT for the Behringer consoles and rack mount mixers, ethernet stage boxes and direct boxes,
you would do well to pass on their other offerings.
"A mans got to know his limitations"
     and Pray for higher guidance

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
« Reply #71 on: February 15, 2017, 03:19:47 PM »

I appreciate US currency and the whole "our tender will be valid forever" concept!

-Ray

Remember Ozymandias...
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

Jeff Lelko

• Cape Canaveral, FL
« Reply #72 on: February 15, 2017, 05:49:55 PM »

Justin, I'm glad that you took our advice and got your money back before it was too late!  We really are a nice group of people, though sometimes our help comes in a tough love sort of fashion.  Before you spend your money again, it might help to think about the end goal of your system.  What do you ultimately want to do with it?  Yes, the pair of speakers will be your first purchase, but planning the entire system out before spending any money will help to make sure you get the best bang to buck and ensure the end product is what you actually need.  It's perfectly okay that you can't budget the entire expense at one time.  While I don't think a formal business plan would be necessary for your band, maybe a nice roadmap of future purchases would go a long ways.

So...what kinds of events do you plan on playing?  How many people regularly attend?  200, or 2000?  Are these events usually indoors or outdoors?  Are we talking coffee shop volume or blow-your-brains-out rock concert volumes?  Figuring this part out first will make sure you buy the right equipment that can really grow with you.  Start by picking your tops, but more than likely you'll want subs at some point too.  If so, how quickly you'd be able to buy those too might help you decide between a single 12 or a single 15 for your tops.

As others have said, there are plenty of other hidden expenses associated with live sound.  Just starting out, it's important to spend your hard earned money where it really matters (like getting good speakers).  Things like mics, stands, and cases can usually be skimped on at first until you need/want to go back and do it right.  A rough plan to build your system will help really ensure you get the most for your money and limit the sidestep or disposable purchases.  We're here to help you, so let us know your needs and you'll have no shortage of advice! 

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
« Reply #73 on: February 15, 2017, 06:10:17 PM »

[/size]Things like mics, stands, and cases can usually be skimped on at first until you need/want to go back and do it right.
[/size]

[/size]
[/size]Amen to that.  My first modern system was a set of KW122 and KW181's and an X32 Producer, a few mic stands, 4 58's, 3 58's a Beta 52 and some cables. 
[/size]
Figure about a 10k system.  Three years later I have double that just in cases and material handling.  I am sure we have 5k in mic and speaker stands.  That doesn't even begin to count the heavy lifts.

$100 case to carry a $75.00 item may seem silly until you break 10 of them.  If you run your gear every weekend picking out speakers will quickly fade from your mind and the job of safely and quickly transporting and setting up the system will become job 1.

Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Ray Aberle

• Classic LAB
  • Located in Vancouver, WA (and serves OR-WA-ID-BC)
    • Kelcema Audio
« Reply #74 on: February 15, 2017, 06:35:08 PM »

$100 case to carry a $75.00 item may seem silly until you break 10 of them.  If you run your gear every weekend picking out speakers will quickly fade from your mind and the job of safely and quickly transporting and setting up the system will become job 1.
And those are cheap ones. Just the second half of 2016, I spent over $10k on 18 new cases of various kinds - amp/wireless racks, a rigging trunk (with spaces for my short frames), double wedge packs, double VRX packs, and some general utility trunks. $425 was the *cheapest* case I bought.... upwards to $700 or so on the top end. But, worth it. I have some of my older VRX boxes that look like shit because they were just free ballin' in the truck all the time. The damage potential as well as the decreased efficiency when loading in/out of a show (and see comments like this where the client NOTICES the little details!!) makes that expenditure worth it... but still, it sucked!

I know you won't be spending that kind of cheddar on cases, Justin, but still, keeping in mind the ability to safeguard your investment is a really good choice!

-Ray
Kelcema Audio
Regional - Serving Pacific Northwest (OR, WA, ID, BC)

Tom Roche

• Behind the Zion Curtain
« Reply #75 on: February 15, 2017, 07:31:51 PM »

I like happy endings.  ;D

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #76 on: February 15, 2017, 08:39:57 PM »

These are £10 and £20 notes-- I don't have any £1 notes. Of course, I understand that it'd be like me saying "I have some american dollar bills." and you'd assume I meant singles. I guess I should have said, "I have some UK currency here." Sowwy!

Replaced completely in 1988; the £1 coin has been out since they went decimal, I believe. I have 6 of those coins right now- and I need to ditch them before October, when they will become worthless. That's why I appreciate US currency and the whole "our tender will be valid forever" concept!

-Ray

The pound note ran for 17 years after decimalization.. The UK went to base 10 in 1971... Not that I know that personally - my mum told me !
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

Ray Aberle

• Classic LAB
    • Kelcema Audio
« Reply #77 on: February 15, 2017, 08:43:07 PM »

So to be precise, it's been out for 33 years, according to Wikipedia. I knew decimilsation happened in the 70s; and I keep thinking that's "about 30 years ago." Haha.

-r

edit: appears that the proper English spelling of 'decimilsation' is with an 's,' and since we're talking about THEIR process, might as well honor that. :)
« Last Edit: February 15, 2017, 08:48:56 PM by Ray Aberle »
Kelcema Audio

Will Knight

• Queens, NY
« Reply #78 on: February 15, 2017, 10:18:09 PM »

edit: appears that the proper English spelling of 'decimilsation' is with an 's,' and since we're talking about THEIR process, might as well honor that. :)
[/quote]

Since you're referencing "British" English, don't you mean "honour" ? ;) :)
Strive not to be a success, but rather to be of value — Albert Einstein.

Ray Aberle

• Classic LAB
    • Kelcema Audio
« Reply #79 on: February 15, 2017, 11:17:11 PM »

Since you're referencing "British" English, don't you mean "honour" ? ;) :)
No, because when I wrote "honor," I was speaking from the POV of an American, seeking to recognize the British. So, it's appropriate to use American spellings to indicate my POV as a American even though I was previously talking about English terms.

-Ray
Kelcema Audio

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #79 on: February 15, 2017, 11:17:11 PM »

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 12   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.039 seconds with 24 queries.