ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 12   Go Down

Author Topic: New to passive PA  (Read 36521 times)

Chris Grimshaw

• Sheffield, UK
    • Grimshaw Audio
Re: New to passive PA
« Reply #50 on: February 15, 2017, 06:34:48 AM »

Those RCFs are a solid choice. Nice work.

Don't worry so much about SPL and power ratings. The SPL ratings are usually a rating of the loudest sound you'll get out of the box and have it survive. Whether it sounds any good when pushed is something you'll need to read reviews (or find independent measurements) for.
Power ratings on their own don't tell you much, either. A 97dB@1w speaker with 100w input will be the same volume as a 87dB@1w speaker with 1000w input. Except the 97dB speaker will be comfortably playing all night while the 87dB@1w speaker goes into serious power compression and might burn out entirely.

3dB difference is a 2-fold power increase. 10dB is 10x power.

If you're going to add subs down the road, 12" tops are smaller, cheaper, lighter, and will be nicer through the midrange than the 15"s. The 15"s will do more bass on their own, though.

Chris
Sheffield-based sound engineering.
www.grimshawaudio.com

David Allred

« Reply #51 on: February 15, 2017, 07:18:06 AM »

What a load of.... I'll take that $10 bucks please - I'll put it towards my new speakers.

I've taken everything you've all said (not including the rude replys) and have emailed hifi-tower to cancel the order and get a refund.

I am probably going to go for RCF 715A's in the end -

Thanks for all your positive comments.

It can get snippy here.  The content was spot on, but at times the message was delivered in such a way that fight or flight is encouraged. 
Wise decision, on your part, to listen to the message.

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
« Reply #52 on: February 15, 2017, 08:17:50 AM »

What a load of.... I'll take that $10 bucks please - I'll put it towards my new speakers.

I've taken everything you've all said (not including the rude replys) and have emailed hifi-tower to cancel the order and get a refund.

I am probably going to go for RCF 715A's in the end - a bit more cash but understand what you are all saying and I have good and fond experience/memories with my old RCF system.

These speakers are rated at 700W RMS with 130db SPL each - so pretty loud I think.
I'll probably invest in a sub (maybe 2) at some point - I think the new RCF ones are 1000W.

Yup, that $10 should be yours.

You'll be better off with the RCF's (actually almost ANYTHING would be better than those other things) but you've got to forget about watts.  You've finally gotten an SPL rating, and while SPL figures can be iffy, watts say NOTHING about rated output without knowing the sensitivity of the box and the power of your amplifier.  Any calculated SPL will still be somewhat of a ballpark figure depending on the accuracy of the data input into the formula.

Good luck getting back into the game on the live side.  It'll be a LOT different than the DJ side.  And thanks for the laughs.  I'd never have found those YouTube vids on my own.  The German guys comments were hilarious.
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

Jay Barracato

• Solomons, MD
« Reply #53 on: February 15, 2017, 08:23:43 AM »

I am probably going to go for RCF 715A's in the end - a bit more cash but understand what you are all saying and I have good and fond experience/memories with my old RCF system.

These speakers are rated at 700W RMS with 130db SPL each - so pretty loud I think.
I'll probably invest in a sub (maybe 2) at some point - I think the new RCF ones are 1000W.

Just so you can think about the future, I have my little pa on my truck from a bluegrass show for 150 people.

I am running a pair of qsc k10's for FOH, and a pair of k10's for sidefills monitors. ( The installed raws are not in use). I had a guest mixer that night who preferred the mixwiz to my usual 01v.

Everything but the speaker stands are cased. I have about $2000 invested in the cases.

I am running power from 2 wall outlets ( no distribution) and have about $500 in cable and quad boxes. Add a 50 foot 16 channel snake and signal and stage xlr, another $500.

5 sm58 and 5 sm57 as a basic mic package is another $1000. Stands another $500.

As you can see, it is the little details that can run up the total investment.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Jay Barracato

Ray Aberle

• Classic LAB
  • Located in Vancouver, WA (and serves OR-WA-ID-BC)
    • Kelcema Audio
« Reply #54 on: February 15, 2017, 08:40:30 AM »

Yup, that $10 should be yours.
PM me your address. I'll send you £10 right now. :)

Glad you're sticking around! Let's build you up a kick ass bar rig.

-Ray
Kelcema Audio
Regional - Serving Pacific Northwest (OR, WA, ID, BC)

Lance Hallmark

• Tampa Bay, FL
    • Hallmark Events & Entertainment
« Reply #55 on: February 15, 2017, 10:20:24 AM »

The RCFs will be a good choice for sure. You could also check the local used market and find some deals as well. When getting back into PA, I found a deal for a pair of EV SX200, cables & two Ultimate Support stands for $200.00! Added an amp for $100 and eventually a used Yorkville LS800p sub for another $900.00. All in for $1200 for a system that gets plenty loud and sounds great. I still use it for smaller gigs. Good Luck!
----------------------------------------------------
Lance Hallmark
Hallmark Events & Entertainment
Chamsys, Crown, Danley, EV, JTR, Powersoft, Yamaha

Robert Lofgren

« Reply #56 on: February 15, 2017, 10:24:25 AM »

If you will add a sub fairly soon, may I suggest the 712 instead of the 715.

The 712 has a really good low end and with punch and I've used them with 5pc rockband without a sub. Granted that the bass player used his rig while still sneaking in some of it in the PA.

The 712 will generally give you slightly better sounding vox compared to the 715.

jesseweiss

« Reply #57 on: February 15, 2017, 10:40:29 AM »

I'll jump in really late as a weekend warrior band member who runs our own PA and also barely gets paid, I feel the OP's pain.

Good choice for the RCF's.  You'll definitely get good sound. I would run mostly vocals with light guitars/drums until you get a sub otherwise it could get muddy.

We run Mackie SRM stuff (just mid-range) but adding an 18" sub and moving to a digital mixer (XR18) has made a big improvement in our sound compared to just the 12" tops.  To say nothing of the jump up from Behringer powered 12s only before that.

If you can find the funds later, sub first then I'd look into a digital mixer.  The EQ, compression, routing, etc... you get is just awesome.  We have an XR18, but if you don't have too many channels you could use an XR16 which isn't too pricey.

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
« Reply #58 on: February 15, 2017, 10:42:41 AM »

Do you have Paypal?

That wasn't about you but forum users in general. 

Those are solid choices you mentioned but the numbers don't tell the whole story. 

Good luck
Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Justin Addison

« Reply #59 on: February 15, 2017, 11:03:36 AM »

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #59 on: February 15, 2017, 11:03:36 AM »

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 12   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.04 seconds with 22 queries.