ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Home theater analyser  (Read 2221 times)

Jim Layton

Home theater analyser
« on: February 13, 2017, 09:54:56 AM »

Not sure if this is the right place to post since it is a non-pro topic. I needed (wanted) to run my home theater components through HDMI instead of the early switch box I was using. replaced a Denon with a newer Denon. It comes with Audyssey and a test microphone. Knowing that you can't EQ a room I am a little skeptical about what the program actually does. It reminded me of the DBX auto EQ program. Anyone have a personal experience with this? I prefer to use my ears.
Quick set-up guide
http://manuals.denon.com/avrx4100w/NA/EN/GFNFSYnuokgukf.php

Skeptic speaks to the manufacturer. The comment about the subwoofer management and telling the software you have small speakers even when you don't is interesting.
https://www.cnet.com/news/home-theater-automatic-speaker-calibration-dos-and-donts/
Between Allentown & Philadelphia

Chris Grimshaw

• Sheffield, UK
    • Grimshaw Audio
Re: Home theater analyser
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2017, 10:10:36 AM »

You can EQ rooms to some extent.

The room I'm sat in has a horrendous room mode: +10dB spike at 40Hz at pretty much every seat. The rest of the range isn't too bad.
Knocking that peak down pays dividends to the sound quality. It does make bookshelf speakers sound much bigger than they are, though.

I haven't been involved in multi-channel surround for a while, so I don't know much about Audyssey.

Chris
Sheffield-based sound engineering.
www.grimshawaudio.com

John Rutirasiri

« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2017, 10:19:32 AM »

There's a big difference in the dBx Driverack AutoEQ and Audyssey (and systems similar to Audyssey from DEQX, Trinnov, etc.): the Driverack uses pink noise and applies EQ based on RTA measurement and the selected SPL weight curve.  The Audyssey uses time delay spectrometer measurement, which most of us know as TEF.  That's the signature "whoop" noise over the entire 20Hz - 20KHz you hear.

Does it work?  Absolutely.  Audyssey corrects not only frequency (amplitude) response anomalies, but phase (delay).   Some systems like DEQX go a step further and does correction at the driver (low/mid/high) level before tackling room response.  And they are able to do it in single Hertz resolution.

Karaoke and anything "live" through such a system might sound weird given the delay from the high tap counts used in the FIR filters though.  But playback is not an issue.

John R.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2017, 10:31:59 AM by John Rutirasiri »
ClearImpact Sound & Event Services, Inc.
Sound/Lighting/Corporate A/V

"If it ain't broke, make it better."

Rob Spence

• Boston Metro North/West
    • Lynx Audio Services
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2017, 12:22:24 PM »

You don't eq a room except with acoustic treatment but you can eq the sound system.

If you want the room truly flat, use a D9.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
rob at lynxaudioservices dot com

Dealer for: AKG, Allen & Heath, Ashley, Astatic, Audix, Blue Microphones, CAD, Chauvet, Community, Countryman, Crown, DBX, Electro-Voice, FBT, Furman, Heil, Horizon, Intellistage, JBL, Lab Gruppen, Mid Atlantic, On Stage Stands, Pelican, Peterson Tuners, Presonus, ProCo, QSC, Radial, RCF, Sennheiser, Shure, SKB, Soundcraft, TC Electronics, Telex, Whirlwind and others

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2017, 12:23:05 PM »

There's a big difference in the dBx Driverack AutoEQ and Audyssey (and systems similar to Audyssey from DEQX, Trinnov, etc.): the Driverack uses pink noise and applies EQ based on RTA measurement and the selected SPL weight curve.  The Audyssey uses time delay spectrometer measurement, which most of us know as TEF.  That's the signature "whoop" noise over the entire 20Hz - 20KHz you hear.

Does it work?  Absolutely.  Audyssey corrects not only frequency (amplitude) response anomalies, but phase (delay).   Some systems like DEQX go a step further and does correction at the driver (low/mid/high) level before tackling room response.  And they are able to do it in single Hertz resolution.

Karaoke and anything "live" through such a system might sound weird given the delay from the high tap counts used in the FIR filters though.  But playback is not an issue.

John R.
Audyssey also does multiple measurements and averages them.  So you get a more overall even response at different seats.

it is an average and not specific-but multiple measurements and averaging is MUCH better than a single measurement-especially in a small room
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

Jim Layton

« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2017, 12:32:37 PM »

I think I will give it a try and see how it sounds. Thanks for the info!
Between Allentown & Philadelphia

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2017, 01:28:30 PM »

You don't eq a room except with acoustic treatment but you can eq the sound system.

If you want the room truly flat, use a D9.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I prefer the back hoe version but this will do...
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Stephen Kirby

« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2017, 02:09:40 PM »

In the usual living/family room HT the listening area is much more confined than in SR.  Typically there's only one plane from the front wall where people are sitting in a couch, so the normal lengthwise modes can be eq'd for that location even though they would be completely out of whack elsewhere.

More involved "theater" set ups with multiple rows of seating a a bit more problematic, but those types of rooms often have acoustic treatment as part of the build.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2017, 02:09:40 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.06 seconds with 25 queries.