ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Question regarding movers  (Read 3378 times)

Patrick Campbell

• Jury's Out Rock Band
Question regarding movers
« on: January 31, 2017, 03:20:23 PM »

Hey everyone,

I am planning on using my speakers stacks instead of buying totem pole trussing  - 

My stacks are 7 ft plus and it is an EV QRX 153/75 which the Elation 250 spot can sit on but I plan on using a ratcheting strap with s hooks to grab the handles of the PA cabinet and have it go under the Elation while threading the handles of the mover -  I have had em up there and worried but I think with the straps locked down I ma y be good to go and the other two will live on the back wall of the stage on their cases about 4 ft up (so 4 ft up from behind musicians and 7 ft from front of stage may give some good chances to some great scenes

Any thoughts on this would be appreciated

Patrick

Jeff Lelko

• Cape Canaveral, FL
Re: Question regarding movers
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2017, 06:44:08 PM »

I am planning on using my speakers stacks instead of buying totem pole trussing 

I wouldn't.  You can get away with putting lights on speakers when they're small LEDs, but when you start dealing with 50+ pound movers and discharge lamps I'd advise against that, primarily due to vibration, momentum, and balance issues.  Ratchet straps don't take the place of a proper safety cable either, and in your case if something topples the whole thing's going to come crashing down.  Plenty of people do this, but I'm strongly in the "against it" camp for lights of this type.  There are plenty of other ways to hang lights that are safer for the equipment and the public.  Hope this helps!   

Patrick Campbell

• Jury's Out Rock Band
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2017, 08:39:03 AM »

I wouldn't.  You can get away with putting lights on speakers when they're small LEDs, but when you start dealing with 50+ pound movers and discharge lamps I'd advise against that, primarily due to vibration, momentum, and balance issues.  Ratchet straps don't take the place of a proper safety cable either, and in your case if something topples the whole thing's going to come crashing down.  Plenty of people do this, but I'm strongly in the "against it" camp for lights of this type.  There are plenty of other ways to hang lights that are safer for the equipment and the public.  Hope this helps!   

thanks Jeff

Steve Kosiba

« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2017, 05:57:16 AM »

The main reason that I wouldn't do this (even if it's a stack and not on a pole) is because of the vibration.  You'll shorten the life of your movers if you strap them to something that's constantly trying to vibrate your fixture's motor connections and board interconnects loose.  It's also an easy way to get screws to loosen over time.  I've serviced many moving lights, and based on everything I know as a moving light tech, this is just a bad idea.

Rob Spence

• Boston Metro North/West
    • Lynx Audio Services
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2017, 06:43:29 PM »

I have put small movers on top of my QRX212s. I have a plywood base that the mover bolts to the the ply sits over studs from the fly track. Yes, the QRX are strapped down.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
rob at lynxaudioservices dot com

Dealer for: AKG, Allen & Heath, Ashley, Astatic, Audix, Blue Microphones, CAD, Chauvet, Community, Countryman, Crown, DBX, Electro-Voice, FBT, Furman, Heil, Horizon, Intellistage, JBL, Lab Gruppen, Mid Atlantic, On Stage Stands, Pelican, Peterson Tuners, Presonus, ProCo, QSC, Radial, RCF, Sennheiser, Shure, SKB, Soundcraft, TC Electronics, Telex, Whirlwind and others

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2017, 06:43:29 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.034 seconds with 25 queries.