ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Midas Pro 2 or Digico sd9?  (Read 18022 times)

Chip Sciacca

Re: Midas Pro 2 or Digico sd9?
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2017, 07:27:45 PM »

If you connect an iPad to you DiGiCo console you can have a page on it with up to 60 Macros buttons with names.  On the Macro page of the console simply assign your new macro an OSC number and open your SD APP.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2017, 02:12:58 PM by Chip Sciacca »
Tech Support Engineer
Group One Ltd.
DiGiCo USA
Klang USA

Brendon Paul

« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2017, 03:42:26 AM »

Hi. I work both freelance on many different consoles including pro2 and SD9 on a regular basis and also mix at my church on an x32. If budget is a consideration, it may be worth looking at the DLive as well. Probably the easiest console out there at the moment and still gives most of the flexibility and capability of the SD. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Charlton Combs

« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2017, 04:17:54 PM »

FWIW, I have the privilege to mix for a band that has a sizable touring budget, and could literally have any console that I want. I could have anything from an X32 to an SD7 (crazy comparison, but I am making a point).

I choose to tour with the Pro2 because I really love the surface and the sound. I grew up on analog Midas consoles, so it just 'feels right' to me. I bought my own a few years back, and take it with me on every tour that it has sufficient channels for.

The SD9 is a fine console, but the Pro2 inspires me to be creative for some reason. Maybe it is nostalgia, but whatever it is, I love the results I get with it. I do not use plug-ins with it (even though I have the hardware to do so) and I find that the consoles limitations actually make me a better engineer. Instead of having 'fixes' with plug ins or multi band EQs on every channel, I focus on great mics, great gain staging, and tonal balance. I have also done tours that I have gone plug-in crazy with, but at the end of the day, I really enjoy mixing on the Pro2.

Also, if you have volunteers, I think the Pro2 is a better surface to learn because it is more straightforward.

Keith Broughton

• Toronto
« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2017, 04:50:05 PM »

Instead of having 'fixes' with plug ins or multi band EQs on every channel, I focus on great mics, great gain staging, and tonal balance.
Ahhhh yes...the basics  :)

I also like the meters on the Pro 2 surface so I can have a fast look at outbound mixes.
My only gripe is the lack of pre channel fader AND pre channel EQ aux sends.
I think the SD9 can do this but then the channel mute doesn't affect the channel aux send.  ::)
No problem on a Yamaha.
Having mixed on both, I kind of like the Pro 2 as well.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2017, 04:55:08 PM by Keith Broughton »
I don't care enough to be apathetic

Charlton Combs

« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2017, 11:18:45 PM »

Ahhhh yes...the basics  :)

I love cool/expensive toys as much as the next guy (believe me, I have spec'd/purchased wayyyy too many). But at the end of the day, fads come and go, hardware/software comes and goes, but the basics are what will get you the bigger and better gigs haha!!

Tim Hite

• Bad Quail
« Reply #15 on: February 18, 2017, 02:57:13 AM »

I feel obliged to point out that Midas is currently running a promo on the Pro2. Buy the console and you get a DL251 48x16 digital stage box through March 31.

Also, you can currently pick up a Pro2C AND a Digico S31 with touring cases and stage boxes for about the same money as an SD9 with similar accessories.
Bad Quail
Sound + Light + Image
Joshua Tree, California
Authorized Dealer for all this stuff

Keith Broughton

• Toronto
« Reply #16 on: February 18, 2017, 06:20:56 AM »

I feel obliged to point out that Midas is currently running a promo on the Pro2. Buy the console and you get a DL251 48x16 digital stage box through March 31.

Also, you can currently pick up a Pro2C AND a Digico S31 with touring cases and stage boxes for about the same money as an SD9 with similar accessories.
It seems to me that the Pro 2 is the best console for the $$, especially with this deal.
I don't care enough to be apathetic

Aisle 6

« Reply #17 on: February 20, 2017, 02:35:26 AM »

FWIW, I have the privilege to mix for a band that has a sizable touring budget, and could literally have any console that I want. I could have anything from an X32 to an SD7 (crazy comparison, but I am making a point).

I choose to tour with the Pro2 because I really love the surface and the sound. I grew up on analog Midas consoles, so it just 'feels right' to me. I bought my own a few years back, and take it with me on every tour that it has sufficient channels for.

The SD9 is a fine console, but the Pro2 inspires me to be creative for some reason. Maybe it is nostalgia, but whatever it is, I love the results I get with it. I do not use plug-ins with it (even though I have the hardware to do so) and I find that the consoles limitations actually make me a better engineer. Instead of having 'fixes' with plug ins or multi band EQs on every channel, I focus on great mics, great gain staging, and tonal balance. I have also done tours that I have gone plug-in crazy with, but at the end of the day, I really enjoy mixing on the Pro2.

Also, if you have volunteers, I think the Pro2 is a better surface to learn because it is more straightforward.

I too can choose my console for a couple of the acts I tour with and I think that the Midas sounds very good but is laborious to set up. Once set up, it is a pleasure to mix on. Having said this, I have had so many bugs and software mishaps with Midas Pro Series boards, so their reliability is low in my opinion. This is across many Midas boards that I have used when on tour. I also grew up on the XL200,250, 4 and H series boards, but really left them once they started releasing the verandas and the like.

I also use Digico quite often and do like them a lot as well. As others have mentioned, they can do almost anything when set up the ay you want to work.

I have recently migrated to the d-live and could not be happier. Folks look at me strange when they realise that I am the one who has spec'd a d-live at major festivals where others have spec'd a Pro2, Profile or the like, but the d-live can more keep up and in most create quite a bit of interest. Just another option.

Roland Clarke

« Reply #18 on: February 21, 2017, 11:27:54 AM »

I too can choose my console for a couple of the acts I tour with and I think that the Midas sounds very good but is laborious to set up. Once set up, it is a pleasure to mix on. Having said this, I have had so many bugs and software mishaps with Midas Pro Series boards, so their reliability is low in my opinion. This is across many Midas boards that I have used when on tour. I also grew up on the XL200,250, 4 and H series boards, but really left them once they started releasing the verandas and the like.

I also use Digico quite often and do like them a lot as well. As others have mentioned, they can do almost anything when set up the ay you want to work.

I have recently migrated to the d-live and could not be happier. Folks look at me strange when they realise that I am the one who has spec'd a d-live at major festivals where others have spec'd a Pro2, Profile or the like, but the d-live can more keep up and in most create quite a bit of interest. Just another option.

I've said it many times before, but the Midas loses me with its one band of step through eq.  Really?  For that much money they couldn't provide a full functioning strip?  Crappy effects, I see Yamaha as setting the standard for the level of effects you need for a live show, better than that great, worse than that, not good enough and inexcusable when manufacturers have had enough time to develop or license decent stuff.  I've had some decent fun with Digico, hate the feel of the faders, lousy considering how much they must cost.  I still feel that a lot of desks are not particularly user friendly.

Aisle 6

« Reply #19 on: February 21, 2017, 04:35:30 PM »

I've said it many times before, but the Midas loses me with its one band of step through eq.  Really?  For that much money they couldn't provide a full functioning strip?  Crappy effects, I see Yamaha as setting the standard for the level of effects you need for a live show, better than that great, worse than that, not good enough and inexcusable when manufacturers have had enough time to develop or license decent stuff.  I've had some decent fun with Digico, hate the feel of the faders, lousy considering how much they must cost.  I still feel that a lot of desks are not particularly user friendly.

I could not agree more. The Yamaha really has had the benchmark for FX in a digital console for a very long time. The CL/QL is definitely user friendly and sounds great. It does suffer sometimes from dante network gremlins, but mostly is very reliable and easy to use. Likewise the d-live is super easy to use, crazy flexible, sounds fantastic and the FX are top notch. It is getting better with each firmware upgrade and really only suffers from one or two minor limitations that are being worked on. The offline USB management could be a whole lot better. I would also take both these boards over the Midas everyday of the week.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: February 21, 2017, 04:35:30 PM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.027 seconds with 25 queries.