ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: Midas Pro 2 or Digico sd9?  (Read 18017 times)

Erik Jerde

• Classic LAB
Re: Midas Pro 2 or Digico sd9?
« Reply #20 on: February 21, 2017, 08:17:01 PM »

Funny, I just got an email today from a multi-site church production director who's currently using Midas consoles who wants to switch to DiGiCo and wants to get the low-down on the DiGiCo setups I've put in and worked on.

Tim Hite

• Bad Quail
« Reply #21 on: February 21, 2017, 10:53:51 PM »

It seems to me that the Pro 2 is the best console for the $$, especially with this deal.
The Pro2C is an even better deal if you don't mind giving up 8 faders and an iPad rest to save $5000. . .

The DiGiCo S series is a rocking bargain, as well. Curious as to why it's not in consideration for this application. Tons of processing, sounds great, cost effective, multi-touch screens. . .seems like a winner.
Bad Quail
Sound + Light + Image
Joshua Tree, California
Authorized Dealer for all this stuff

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #22 on: February 21, 2017, 11:18:57 PM »

The Pro2C is an even better deal if you don't mind giving up 8 faders and an iPad rest to save $5000. . .

The DiGiCo S series is a rocking bargain, as well. Curious as to why it's not in consideration for this application. Tons of processing, sounds great, cost effective, multi-touch screens. . .seems like a winner.

Until the Pro2 can do "pre-everything" variable mix sends (think: FOH and monitors) it's kind of a non-starter for us.  We don't do a lot of rider-type acts that would use this functionality but for a fair number of campus events and hip-hop club dates we do.  The X32/M32 can do this, why can't the Pro?

I've really wanted to like Midas for over 25 years but between some of these quirks (or the Heritage automation that got squirrely @ 80% humidity), non-intuitive routing & control, and the annoying fan-boy mentality of some users it's been a tough sell for me.  That said, if we had consistent rider demand I'd buy them.

We're looking for the "Next Medium Thing" as on the small end most of the acts we work with are carrying X32/M32 or similar (or will take whatever is provided).  Acts that *need* S6L or SDx or a Pro6 are carrying.  On the special event side, we'll hire in whatever is needed, as a line item on the invoice if we don't have it.  I really, really want an AVID S4L - between the little baby thing and the S6L - because AVID still pushes the right sonic and processing buttons for a lot of uses.  It's that lack of middle ground that may send us to Yamaha QL/CL - our friendly competitor has them but they go out all summer so there's a potential market - and they can be purchased today with a 5 minute phone call.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

John P. Farrell

« Reply #23 on: February 22, 2017, 08:44:17 AM »

Until the Pro2 can do "pre-everything" variable mix sends (think: FOH and monitors) it's kind of a non-starter for us.  We don't do a lot of rider-type acts that would use this functionality but for a fair number of campus events and hip-hop club dates we do.  The X32/M32 can do this, why can't the Pro?

It can't do the pre-everything.  I'm sure most here know that but yea, it's a deal breaker for me too. 
FOH/PM Blackberry Smoke

Peter Morris

« Reply #24 on: February 22, 2017, 05:57:23 PM »

It can't do the pre-everything.  I'm sure most here know that but yea, it's a deal breaker for me too.

The no pre-EQ AUX sends was a deal breaker for me as well, and as I understand it’s a hardware issue so it cannot be fixed.

It defiantly limited what I could use our Pro 2 for and as a result I ended up selling it. I replaced it with an Allen Heath dLive 5000 … it’s fantastic, it can do just about anything you want, lots of inputs and outputs, great EFX, GEQ, daylight view screens. The most recent firmware upgrades added spill groups, dynamic EQs, multi-band compressors and valve mic pre simulation on every channel … and it sounds wonderful.

Aisle 6

« Reply #25 on: February 22, 2017, 06:03:59 PM »

We're looking for the "Next Medium Thing" as on the small end most of the acts we work with are carrying X32/M32 or similar (or will take whatever is provided).  Acts that *need* S6L or SDx or a Pro6 are carrying.  On the special event side, we'll hire in whatever is needed, as a line item on the invoice if we don't have it.  I really, really want an AVID S4L - between the little baby thing and the S6L - because AVID still pushes the right sonic and processing buttons for a lot of uses. 

I owned an Avid Profile and moved to d-live...could not be happier. The Profile sounds like a 2 dimensional veil by comparison. Having said that, I did want to go down the S series Avid path, but was disappointed that did not make the S3L more scalable as a platform. I was hoping for more compatibility between their engines and a simple range of surfaces to compliment them and add scalability to the system. But NO...Avid makes the S6L a completely different mixing system altogether. I held out so much hope for that platform as it sounds so much better than Profile but still uses the well known and comfortable software and GUI. Such a let down. : (

Ryan O John

• ryanojohn.com
« Reply #26 on: March 14, 2017, 01:20:08 PM »

I held out so much hope for that platform as it sounds so much better than Profile but still uses the well known and comfortable software and GUI. Such a let down. : (

So just to confirm, it's a letdown because it and S3L don't have swappable engines?
Ryan John
Product Manager | Avid Live Sound

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #26 on: March 14, 2017, 01:20:08 PM »

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.024 seconds with 24 queries.