ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Midas Pro 2 or Digico sd9?  (Read 12188 times)

Justin Ingram

Midas Pro 2 or Digico sd9?
« on: February 10, 2017, 04:38:43 pm »

Currently in the market for a new console. Would be for FOH for a 1100 seat worship center. Musical style is CCM ( Chris Thomlin, Hillsong, Bethel...etc). We narrowed the choices between a pro 2 or sd9. Can someone share their experience with these two boards? Pros and cons?Thanks for your help!

Keith Broughton

• Toronto
Re: Midas Pro 2 or Digico sd9?
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2017, 05:45:18 pm »

Currently in the market for a new console. Would be for FOH for a 1100 seat worship center. Musical style is CCM ( Chris Thomlin, Hillsong, Bethel...etc). We narrowed the choices between a pro 2 or sd9. Can someone share their experience with these two boards? Pros and cons?Thanks for your help!
I have used both (for the same show) and they each have their positives and negatives.
They both have about the same number of faders but the SD9 allows for fader locations to move.
The Pro2 has the POP groups which, when combined with VCA groups allows for  very fast access to different groups of faders.
SD9 had some nice dynamic EQ functions on every channel and a touch screen. No touch on the Pro2
They both sound great but I think the Pro2 is less expensive but still delivers excellent performance.
It all comes down to budget and what works for your way of mixing.
I can answer more specific questions if you need.
I don't care enough to be apathetic

Erik Jerde

• Classic LAB
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2017, 11:38:27 pm »

I don't have good experience with the Pro2.  Lots of SD series experience in the church environment.  I really like the customization of the console.  Any channel or bus can be anywhere on the surface and repeat the placement.  Console sounds great.  Like any digital console it can be clumsy to use at first but with time you can get real fast on it. 

The flexibility of the SD in the church environment has been very nice in worship centers that do lots of things.  The console can be setup perfectly for multiple service styles, special events, and even in a way that works well for non-techies on occasion. 

DiGiCo has also done a great job of continuing to grow the value of the consoles.  The SD8 purchased 6 years ago has become more and more capable in pretty regular intervals.  Up until the huge software update this summer those upgrades were free too.

Lastly, FWIW the church guys I know on Midas would rather have DiGiCo SD consoles.  It's only a couple guys so others may disagree.

Adam Robinson

« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2017, 01:15:15 am »

These two consoles are indeed priced differently but also vary just as much in capability.

The Pro2 is 56 inputs + 8 returns (64 inputs), 16 auxes + 8 matrix or 24 total auxes, 8 VCAs, 6 FX

The SD9 is 96 inputs, 48 aux/group buses + 8 matrix, 2 solo buses, 12 FX... additionally, the SD9 offers dynamic EQ, multiband compression, and tube emulation on every input and output, and an automation system that has the ability to be much more granular than the Pro2.  Additionally, the SD9's fader layout abilities are infinitely more flexible. 

Of interest to the church market (with volunteers), the security system in the SD consoles can allow you to lock down certain features while leaving others open for modification.

I've toured extensively with both manufacturers' consoles and they both are sonically top-notch.  I prefer the Digico first, though.

Brian Bolly

• Baltimore, MD / Amsterdam, NL
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2017, 08:33:02 am »

The Pro2 has the POP groups which, when combined with VCA groups allows for very fast access to different groups of faders.

One of the things a lot of people overlook on the SD range is set spill.  Although they do not have their own static set of buttons on the surface (you have to assign them to User Defined Keys), they function is very similar to POP groups on the Midas.

Keith Broughton

• Toronto
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2017, 09:24:27 am »

One of the things a lot of people overlook on the SD range is set spill.  Although they do not have their own static set of buttons on the surface (you have to assign them to User Defined Keys), they function is very similar to POP groups on the Midas.
I will have to look into that.
Learn something new everyday :)

jason misterka

« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2017, 11:42:22 am »

These two consoles are indeed priced differently but also vary just as much in capability.

The Pro2 is 56 inputs + 8 returns (64 inputs), 16 auxes + 8 matrix or 24 total auxes, 8 VCAs, 6 FX

The SD9 is 96 inputs, 48 aux/group buses + 8 matrix, 2 solo buses, 12 FX... additionally, the SD9 offers dynamic EQ, multiband compression, and tube emulation on every input and output, and an automation system that has the ability to be much more granular than the Pro2.  Additionally, the SD9's fader layout abilities are infinitely more flexible. 

Of interest to the church market (with volunteers), the security system in the SD consoles can allow you to lock down certain features while leaving others open for modification.

I've toured extensively with both manufacturers' consoles and they both are sonically top-notch.  I prefer the Digico first, though.

I don't want to derail the thread, however I have a question. As someone with a lot of experience on Midas PRO2 but looking at all options for a future purchase. 

We did an SD9 demo and it seemed like you could do almost anything you would think of with them, and some things I had never thought of doing. But many of those things had to be assigned to a user button and there weren't really very many user buttons available. 

Is this an issue in real life use? Or are there other ways to do some of these things but the user key is just a short cut?  Or is that one of the big tradeoffs beteeen the SD9 and one of the bigger surfacee?

Jason

Brian Bolly

• Baltimore, MD / Amsterdam, NL
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2017, 12:40:07 pm »

I don't want to derail the thread, however I have a question. As someone with a lot of experience on Midas PRO2 but looking at all options for a future purchase. 

We did an SD9 demo and it seemed like you could do almost anything you would think of with them, and some things I had never thought of doing. But many of those things had to be assigned to a user button and there weren't really very many user buttons available. 

Is this an issue in real life use? Or are there other ways to do some of these things but the user key is just a short cut?  Or is that one of the big tradeoffs beteeen the SD9 and one of the bigger surface?

The macro keys are shortcuts to just about anything you want on the desk.  I saw a post on the users forum a couple weeks ago where someone had added an X-Keys stick to the SD11i to add more macro buttons.  That is one of the things I appreciate about the Digico is that you can do just about anything with it, and tailor it to how you want to work.

Depending on the function, there can be several different ways to do that single function.  So based on your workflow and how you want to accomplish said function, it is possible that the macro button is just there to be a single button shortcut.  A quick example:

On a Pro2, you have 6 buttons above the right fader bank that are your pop groups.  These are always pop groups, they can't be anything else.  With the faders, channel 1 will always be next to channel 2, etc. (disregarding POP groups and soft patching of physical inputs).

On the SD9, you have 8 macro buttons on the left.  One could be a set spill, the next a tap tempo, the next an EQ engage/disengage, etc.  With faders, a DCA could be next to a master next to channel 43 next to channel 11, and so on.

To add to my previous post about set spill, here's a quick video tutorial.

Ryan McLeod

« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2017, 02:40:34 pm »

Remember to keep the operator's in mind!  As long as they are comfortable with all the tasks they need to perform and the desks are capable of what both they and the venue calls for, it almost doesn't matter what desk they're on.

Depending on their skill level and how technical they want to get / can be, you may want to survey the guys & gals that will be mixing on it. The flexibility that Digico offers is wonderful - but customization also means that everyone will want to do it their way - which may not be a good thing.

As a provider, if I get to pick the desk I take into account the "what if the guy standing behind the desk has a heart attack" test.

I own a Pro2, and everyone new to mixing on it watches a 20 minute 'how to setup your desk' video by Kyle @ MidasUSA and has done fine so far!  It's  first ever show was a dry rental where the client's op and file did not appear - the L2 stumbled his way through monitors at soundcheck with 6x stereo IEM and 4 wedge mixes before I got there to help out and did a great job - and he never saw the video ;)   That left an impression on me.

Keith Broughton

• Toronto
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2017, 02:57:30 pm »

Remember to keep the operator's in mind!  As long as they are comfortable with all the tasks they need to perform and the desks are capable of what both they and the venue calls for, it almost doesn't matter what desk they're on.

Depending on their skill level and how technical they want to get / can be, you may want to survey the guys & gals that will be mixing on it. The flexibility that Digico offers is wonderful - but customization also means that everyone will want to do it their way - which may not be a good thing.

As a provider, if I get to pick the desk I take into account the "what if the guy standing behind the desk has a heart attack" test.

I own a Pro2, and everyone new to mixing on it watches a 20 minute 'how to setup your desk' video by Kyle @ MidasUSA and has done fine so far!  It's  first ever show was a dry rental where the client's op and file did not appear - the L2 stumbled his way through monitors at soundcheck with 6x stereo IEM and 4 wedge mixes before I got there to help out and did a great job - and he never saw the video ;)   That left an impression on me.
Some good points Ryan!
the Midas can be a "what you see is what you get" console and, in my opinion, is easier for new opps to get around.
The SD9, while great, does take a bit more work to understand.
As for "easy to get around" it's still hard to beat a Yamaha and the CL3 is looking to be quite nice.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2017, 02:57:30 pm »

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up

Page created in 0.052 seconds with 24 queries.