ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down

Author Topic: Am I crazy? JBL SRX700 to SRX800s  (Read 9291 times)

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
Re: Am I crazy? JBL SRX700 to SRX800s
« Reply #30 on: February 07, 2017, 08:47:51 pm »

Thanks Scott,

Totally get what your saying. There are a number of factors I take into consideration when adding new equipment and ROI is definitely one of them. But it doesn't always include the equipment allowing me to charge more. Most important, will it's use over time give me the ROI I'm looking for. Was looking for general comparison, since 725s have done well. Seems 835 have a little more output and thought possibly I could go with 2 instead of the current 4 725s I'm using now. Thanks again and always appreciate the feedback you guys give.

The first question I would ask is what are you doing with the 725's as far as two aside?  You can't array them for additional output so the only place where two aside would help is in very wide spaces and you still would have some overlap. 

All of us have hit the wall as far as front loaded speakers are concerned.  You can spend more but you really can't get a whole lot better than what you have.  Going to a horn loaded speaker is a big step up as now you need all the other parts to go with doing the bigger room.

I think you would be far better served saving up to get into the Danley horns or the ever popular but sonically inferior shortened array.  But be clear when you do that you end up taking two or three aside to your smaller venues and they are inferior in almost every way to the SRX/STX you replaced.  You have to be doing a lot of shows that need a full line to justify this.  That's what makes the Danley stuff so attractive, it let's you take the next leap without the massive expensive of a line array.

Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Bob Leonard

• Boston, MA USA
« Reply #31 on: February 07, 2017, 09:38:56 pm »

Scott,
The 7xx and 8xx lines can be properly splayed in pairs, the purpose can be lost though if the room isn't wide enough. I've never had a problem doing this with my 725's, and even though I run a dual system there have been plenty of time when I've used 4 per side and easily handled 2000 plus waterbags. Keep in mind the dual system. Two (2) cabinets per side for vocals properly splayed, and two (2) per side for the back line, again properly splayed.

Now as far as moving to the 8xx series, my only thought has been to move from 725s to the 835. I can hear a difference and like the difference I hear. I'm just not sure that difference is worth the additional costs.
BOSTON STRONG........
Proud Vietnam Veteran

I did a gig for Otis Elevator once. Like every job, it had it's ups and downs.

Steve Ferreira

« Reply #32 on: February 09, 2017, 09:50:30 am »

Great conversation guys. I'm going to wait a bit before making the move as I'm looking at the rest of my infrastructure and how things will fall into place. I'm going to make the move to the 800 series eventually as the difference in price is minimal.

Since I was using my Itechs with AES3 and the 800s don't have this, does anyone know of a way to get AES3 to 2 XLR analog? I have been searching but everything seems to be pretty pricey.

Dave Garoutte

• San Rafael, CA
« Reply #33 on: February 09, 2017, 12:40:44 pm »

Since I was using my Itechs with AES3 and the 800s don't have this, does anyone know of a way to get AES3 to 2 XLR analog? I have been searching but everything seems to be pretty pricey.

Graham-Patton DAC-20 is an affordable 1-AES to 2 xlr box.
They pop up on ebay occasionally.
Nothing can be made idiot-proof; only idiot resistant.

Events.  Stage, PA, Lighting and Backline rentals.
Chauvet dealer.  Home of the Angler.
Inventor.

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #34 on: February 09, 2017, 01:56:48 pm »

Great conversation guys. I'm going to wait a bit before making the move as I'm looking at the rest of my infrastructure and how things will fall into place. I'm going to make the move to the 800 series eventually as the difference in price is minimal.

RDL HR DAC1.  Look for them on eBay.
"Practicing an art, no matter how well or badly, is a way to make your soul grow, for heaven's sake. Sing in the shower. Dance to the radio. Tell stories. Write a poem to a friend, even a lousy poem. Do it as well as you possible can. You will get an enormous reward. You will have created something."  - Kurt Vonnegut

Steve Ferreira

« Reply #35 on: February 09, 2017, 02:04:04 pm »

Graham-Patton DAC-20 is an affordable 1-AES to 2 xlr box.
They pop up on ebay occasionally.

Thanks Dave. Those are a bit hard to find

RDL HR DAC1.  Look for them on eBay.

Thanks Tim. About $900 each unit once I ship to Canada and currency conversion. I will keep my eyes open.

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #36 on: February 09, 2017, 02:08:39 pm »

Thanks Dave. Those are a bit hard to find

Thanks Tim. About $900 each unit once I ship to Canada and currency conversion. I will keep my eyes open.

I found an eBay seller in the USA with a $315 buy it now.  Dunno about conversion rates today but would expect shipping to be $35 or so with fees.  Check the link I posted in your thread in the Classic LAB«.
"Practicing an art, no matter how well or badly, is a way to make your soul grow, for heaven's sake. Sing in the shower. Dance to the radio. Tell stories. Write a poem to a friend, even a lousy poem. Do it as well as you possible can. You will get an enormous reward. You will have created something."  - Kurt Vonnegut

ProSoundWeb Community

┬ź Reply #36 on: February 09, 2017, 02:08:39 pm ┬╗

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up

Page created in 0.04 seconds with 25 queries.