ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Sub time - with DXR12  (Read 4095 times)

BenWalker

Sub time - with DXR12
« on: February 09, 2017, 12:34:44 PM »

Hi all,

A few months back, you all were very helpful in kicking around some ideas regarding my plans to put together a small powered system for random work here and there. Primarily, I'll be handling DJs/recorded music (likely no EDM), but would like to be able to have the flexibility to do a bit of live as well. The immediate goal is mostly enclosed spaces for <150 folks (gig #1 will be a wedding in July).

While I initially had my eye on Yamaha DSR112s based on personal experience and great recommendations from this forum, I ended up getting a deal on a pair of DXR12s that was too good to pass up. So with tops handled, now I'm on to subs. I'd like to go single-driver for ease of transport, and powered (happy to elaborate on why if folks are interested, although we covered some of this previously). I'm also predisposed to 18", although I'm prepared to hear arguments for 15" if there are any.

Initially, I was looking at a single Yamaha DXS18, which would likely be new because I haven't seen many used examples on the market yet. However, I'd like to keep costs down and want to be careful to not bring too little box to the party, so I'm also looking at a pair of DSR118W, or potentially a pair of PRX718XLF, which I would probably center cluster in most situations. Based on what I've seen, I'm assuming that a pair of either the DSR118W or the PRX718XLF will end up being something like $200-$300 more than a single DXS18, all in. I'm of course open to other suggestions as well.

Essentially as I see it at this point, the choice is one DXS and $200, or a pair of DSR118W or PRX718XLF.

And unfortunately, while I've heard DSR118W with DSR112 (and been pleased with the combo) it doesn't look like I'll have an easy opportunity to hear any of these subs with the DXR12 before making the call. I do have a note in to Yamaha to confirm whether they think DSR118W would be a reasonable match for DXR12.

I'm happy to provide any additional background info that would help folks offer your ideas. As always, I appreciate it.

Thanks,
Ben

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
Re: Sub time - with DXR12
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2017, 12:46:38 PM »

Hi all,

A few months back, you all were very helpful in kicking around some ideas regarding my plans to put together a small powered system for random work here and there. Primarily, I'll be handling DJs/recorded music (likely no EDM), but would like to be able to have the flexibility to do a bit of live as well. The immediate goal is mostly enclosed spaces for <150 folks (gig #1 will be a wedding in July).

While I initially had my eye on Yamaha DSR112s based on personal experience and great recommendations from this forum, I ended up getting a deal on a pair of DXR12s that was too good to pass up. So with tops handled, now I'm on to subs. I'd like to go single-driver for ease of transport, and powered (happy to elaborate on why if folks are interested, although we covered some of this previously). I'm also predisposed to 18", although I'm prepared to hear arguments for 15" if there are any.

Initially, I was looking at a single Yamaha DXS18, which would likely be new because I haven't seen many used examples on the market yet. However, I'd like to keep costs down and want to be careful to not bring too little box to the party, so I'm also looking at a pair of DSR118W, or potentially a pair of PRX718XLF, which I would probably center cluster in most situations. Based on what I've seen, I'm assuming that a pair of either the DSR118W or the PRX718XLF will end up being something like $200-$300 more than a single DXS18, all in. I'm of course open to other suggestions as well.

Essentially as I see it at this point, the choice is one DXS and $200, or a pair of DSR118W or PRX718XLF.

And unfortunately, while I've heard DSR118W with DSR112 (and been pleased with the combo) it doesn't look like I'll have an easy opportunity to hear any of these subs with the DXR12 before making the call. I do have a note in to Yamaha to confirm whether they think DSR118W would be a reasonable match for DXR12.

I'm happy to provide any additional background info that would help folks offer your ideas. As always, I appreciate it.

Thanks,
Ben

PRX718xlf fan here and I use mine with DSR112's all the time. They were crazy good prices there for a while when they first were discontinued - not so much anymore although still worth every penny.
I have heard that the DSR118w will not keep up with the DSR tops - not even close so it will probably apply to the DXR's too. The PRX718xlf's will do a better job with SPL but the tops will still outrun them.
It also depends whether you prefer to match tops with bottoms or not - I don't care and will buy whatever if it makes sense to do so.
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

Steve Garris

« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2017, 12:55:24 PM »

Hi all,

Thanks,
Ben

I've used the DXS18 and PRX618xlf extensively. The DXS goes a little lower, and perhaps a little louder than the JBL. In small rooms, I've been using a single sub more frequently these days, and the DXS does the job nicely. Given you have Yamaha tops I would go with that - IF - you can handle the 110 lb weight

The JBL's sound great though, and are are good match to my JBL tops. Either would be a very good choice. The JBL is much lighter, and can be easily dead-lifted in to a van or truck.

I never heard anything good about the DSR18 sub, but I have no first hand experience with it.

Chris Edwards

« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2017, 02:28:03 PM »

Hey Steve,

Thanks for response. I really haven't been able to find much info on the DXS18. I currently have a bunch of DXS10s and am considering a pair of DSR112s for new mains. Originally was leaning towards the SRX812Ps but the size, weight and my sore back the next morning after using them at an event is steering me away. I had considered the SRX818Ps but would like to have a matched system if going Yamaha. So the DXS18s kick butt and go low even with the bandpass design?

I've used the DXS18 and PRX618xlf extensively. The DXS goes a little lower, and perhaps a little louder than the JBL. In small rooms, I've been using a single sub more frequently these days, and the DXS does the job nicely. Given you have Yamaha tops I would go with that - IF - you can handle the 110 lb weight

The JBL's sound great though, and are are good match to my JBL tops. Either would be a very good choice. The JBL is much lighter, and can be easily dead-lifted in to a van or truck.

I never heard anything good about the DSR18 sub, but I have no first hand experience with it.

Renard Hurtado

« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2017, 04:44:19 PM »

JHi there,

if you want a loud sub, then in the $1400-1500 price range the Yorkville Ls800 is still the king ut there, although a little bit heavey they make a lot of boom boom.
I have never heard the DXS-18, I have seen some comments on youtube, where some people call them the
Ls-800

If you can find them in your area, please try out  the Alto black 18S powered sub , they are very close to the PRX718XLF (SPL wise) , but they have more low freq. extension,. there are some amazing deals out there on this sub.

If you have the money go for the RCF-
8004, nice sub for EDM.

Renard from Curacao
]

Richard Penrose

« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2017, 05:28:10 PM »

I'm using QSC KW181's with my Yamaha DXR15's and they match up really well.

Scott Bolt

« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2017, 06:58:12 PM »

JBL XLF's = 81lbs
QSC KW181 83lbs
Yamaha DXS18 110lbs
Yorkville LS801p 140lbs

Everyone universally agrees (that has heard them) that the LS801p gets louder than the others anywhere near this price range; however, many don't care for the sound quality (a bit boomey for some).  Still, if volume is your top concern, this sub is it.

The DXS18 is a relative newcomer.  From what I have read (still haven't heard them myself) they are a bit louder than the JBL XLF's and in the same vicinity of sound quality even though they are a band pass design.  They are likely designed to work with your DXR12's from the factory, so that is a plus.

Like Debbie, I run DSR112's over my JBL XLF's.  For me, the weight is a deciding factor.  While I believe that a single DSR112 could hang with a pair of XLF's, even a single XLF per side is enough for me to pound out modern and classic rock in venues up to around 300 people (maybe a little more depending on the area of the dance floor).

The KW181's are a little less tight and musical to my ear compared to the PRX XLF's, but still a very good sounding sub to my ears (my neighbor has a pair of these).  They are the smallest in size of the entire group, so if you are trying to fit these into the back of a car, they may be just the ticket.

Derek D Sanchez

• DDSProductions.
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2017, 07:39:56 PM »

Hi Ben, Try the Yamaha DXS18 (4 inch coil), I have 4 and they handle big halls easily, up close the bass is so hard that it will shake your insides, in the middle of dance floor is the sweet spot and out back of event center they still pound and they sound really good. I have had people tell me to turn them down which never happened with my JBL 618xlf i had. I use either 2 or 4 depending on size of venue, I had two jbl 618xlf for years and two Yamaha DXS18 blow them away easily, Thanks Derek DDS Productions

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2017, 07:39:56 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.033 seconds with 25 queries.