ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Hazer Recommendations Please  (Read 11267 times)

Nathan Riddle

• Niceville, FL
    • Nailed Productions
Re: Hazer Recommendations Please
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2017, 10:50:08 AM »

I should add that I live in Canada where we have a long heating season with forced air furnaces. They tend to throw the dust around so my experiences with dust bunnies may be a bit worse than in warmer climates.

I hadn't considered that. My experiences are from Florida, home of wet and sticky :P

So if I have my lights 8-12 feet up in the air on my T-Bar stand (which I usually have behind my DJ table) and the haze machine on the floor beside my DJ table, my moving heads should be fine in the long run?

What about my powered speakers? My laptop and other gear on the table?

As long as any fans aren't directly sucking in the haze directly out of the hazer you're fine.

Is there an oil-based hazer under $1500 that you'd say is the best bet?

What's funny is we use the little ADJ oil hazer for even our 'big' permanent install venue (Gym 100ft x 100ft x 35ft + stage). ~$400 (Mike Pyle can get it for less too). We love it, though it might be more prudent to have gotten the HZ-400. Stick a black fan on the front and call it a day :)

Others prefer Antari HZ-350 for a bit more output. http://www.antari.com/index.php/web/Products_i/23

Has anyone out there tried the Jem Compact Hazer Pro? It looks pretty cool!

I've used the Jem K1 and loved it. I'm sure the compact is just as good.
I'm just a guy trying to do the next right thing.

This business is for people with too much energy for desk jobs and too much brain for labor jobs. - Scott Helmke

Mark Cadwallader

• Helena, Montana USA
« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2017, 02:48:27 PM »

As a start, take a look at the wikipedia article on "theatrical smoke and fog" has a subheading regarding adverse health effects. ESTA (Entertainment Servies and Technology Assoc. has a list of water-based fluids it considers "safe" and that comply with Actor's Equity requirements. Wikipedia provides the links and references to AE, ESTA, and the studies.
"Good tools are expensive, but cheap tools are damned expensive."

Matt Greiner

« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2017, 04:52:38 PM »

I really like my Martin Magnum 2500hz.  It's a water based hazer.  I use the recommended fluid, and it sips fluid.  I really like the hang time too. I've never used an oil based fogger/hazer so I can't compare them.  It will be around $600 USD.  And the case of fluid was about $40.  Just my $.02.  Best of luck!

Stuart Pendleton

• Colonial Yorktown, VA
« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2017, 08:20:17 PM »

I used a Radiance for years and loved it. Selling it off when I retired was the single most difficult piece to part with. I would LOVE to have one again. It operates so cheaply it is hard to believe. I will say that without DMX control,  even the lowest setting was too much in just a few minutes for clubs I worked. I can't imagine trying a higher setting and leaving it running. You would either need be in a BIG club, or where the air re-circulation is massive.

Chris Poynter

• www.chrispoynter.ca
« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2017, 10:57:08 PM »

I used a Radiance for years and loved it. Selling it off when I retired was the single most difficult piece to part with. I would LOVE to have one again. It operates so cheaply it is hard to believe. I will say that without DMX control,  even the lowest setting was too much in just a few minutes for clubs I worked. I can't imagine trying a higher setting and leaving it running. You would either need be in a BIG club, or where the air re-circulation is massive.

After all this reading online the last couple days, I talked to a few colleagues of mine in town today, and the Radiance is the winner! I emailed my supplier to order one today. Thanks for your suggestions, everyone! :)

Len Zenith Jr

« Reply #15 on: February 09, 2017, 12:15:44 AM »

I will say that without DMX control,  even the lowest setting was too much in just a few minutes for clubs I worked. I can't imagine trying a higher setting and leaving it running. You would either need be in a BIG club, or where the air re-circulation is massive.

When I first got mine I took it to the parking lot and tested it on high. There was calm air so the haze just sat in this huge cloud. It  took about 7 minutes to get the fire department to come check if things were ok.

Even with DMX, the output can be too much on low; 4-5 parts water, 1 part fluid in the tank fixes that. I've been running mine that way for over 3 years. I don't measure, I just eyeball it. Use demineralized water to prevent heat exchanger clogging, I'm lazy so I just use tap water so I get clogging about every 3 refills or so which looks like this:

With most other hazers, once the heat exchanger clogs up you need a new part. With the Radiance; remove 5 case screws, 2 retaining springs on heat shield and 4 nuts/lock washers/washers to open up the exchanger. A scraping with a small flathead screwdriver, run a paperclip or small drill bit in the input/output tubes, reassemble and you are back in business in 10 minutes.

Chris: Nice, you won't regret it. FYI they use 5 pin dmx connectors so you may need 5 pin to 3 pin adapters or cables if you go that route.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2017, 12:21:42 AM by Len Zenith Jr »

Steve Kosiba

« Reply #16 on: February 11, 2017, 12:23:51 AM »

We've got 3 of the Elation Antari Z-350s and absolutely love them.  Use 'em for club tours with bands.  Doesn't smell like a Radiance which I like, the Radiance had a distinct odor to it.  We use the Froggy's "Faze" fluid in ours and it's fine.

I've also had good experience with the Chauvet Amhaze II.  Great unit, but probably puts out way more haze than you need.  You can fill a medium size sports arena with one of those things on full.

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #17 on: February 13, 2017, 02:43:10 AM »

I arrived late to this party but yeah, you want a hazer, not a fogger.  We tried the Martin JEM hazers and the look was pretty good but the hang time was too short and they used a whole bunch of fluid.  We tried a Radiance (forget the model number) in a 2000 seat room and sent it back the next week.  Ultimately we bought Reel FX DF-50; 2 of them will haze a hockey arena in 15 minutes.  They sip fluid - over a few dozen gigs they paid for themselves in fluid costs.

Never, never, not even ever use fluids not specified by the manufacturer of your machine.  One venue we work in bought their own hazer and a rental client dumped in some kind of "generic" fluid that left a huge puddle in front of, and under the machine.  $200 repair bill.  The silly thing is the venue keeps fluid on hand and would have refilled the machine if the client had mentioned it was low.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #17 on: February 13, 2017, 02:43:10 AM »

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.054 seconds with 20 queries.