ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]   Go Down

Author Topic: "Proving" a DIY system  (Read 12087 times)

Rick Powell

Re: "Proving" a DIY system
« Reply #50 on: February 10, 2017, 12:25:58 am »

Also put in a year at R&R Cases in their OEM speaker cabinet division.

Did you used to work with Bruce Birmingham over there at R&R? He built me a few double 15" bass bins and a few double 12" mid bins, along with a pair of "live-in-the-case" bass cabinets (before that sort of thing was popular). He was also the cousin of one of my brother's friends...I think he tipped me to give Bruce a call when I needed a PA for the road. Back in those days, I don't think I paid over $200 for a cabinet, unfinished and unloaded (except for the custom bass jobs, which had all the formica and hardware).
« Last Edit: February 10, 2017, 12:30:06 am by Rick Powell »

Chris Grimshaw

• Sheffield, UK
    • Grimshaw Audio
« Reply #51 on: February 10, 2017, 03:57:43 am »

Maybe some words about "custom" instead of "diy" in the sales pitch, explaining that the look was trying to get away from "the rock concert" look.  If you are selling into a wedding market, say it is a "look brides prefer"

Cheers Lyle, like it! I'll try and work some of that into my 'site.

So I'm thinking that a video of the rig is the way to do it. The Danley rig linked a couple of pages back sounded pretty good, though there was some distortion on the kick drum. Likely the mics overloading.
Anyone got recommendations for cameras (or ideally a smartphone, since I'm looking to upgrade. Two birds with one stone and all that) that have decent built-in sound with mics that'll cope with live music?

Cheers,
Chris
Sheffield-based sound engineering.
www.grimshawaudio.com

Tim Weaver

• College Station, Texas
    • Daniela Weaver Photography
« Reply #52 on: February 10, 2017, 11:27:56 am »

My iPhone 6 plus does a great job recording shows up to around 95-ish dBC. I would assume the 6+ and 7's are the same or better.
Bullwinkle: This is the amplifier, which amplifies the sound. This is the Preamplifier which, of course, amplifies the pree's.

John Halliburton

• White pointy beard, knows zip...about chicken.
« Reply #53 on: February 10, 2017, 12:12:01 pm »

Did you used to work with Bruce Birmingham over there at R&R? He built me a few double 15" bass bins and a few double 12" mid bins, along with a pair of "live-in-the-case" bass cabinets (before that sort of thing was popular). He was also the cousin of one of my brother's friends...I think he tipped me to give Bruce a call when I needed a PA for the road. Back in those days, I don't think I paid over $200 for a cabinet, unfinished and unloaded (except for the custom bass jobs, which had all the formica and hardware).

Yes, Birm hired me, mainly because we'd used R&R for the large subwoofer cabinets for years prior to that.  That was 1992ish, also the year that the original owners sold R&R to the current owners.  To say there was a bit of a culture change there after the sale is an understatement.

Best regards,

John

Rick Powell

« Reply #54 on: February 11, 2017, 06:09:47 pm »

Yes, Birm hired me, mainly because we'd used R&R for the large subwoofer cabinets for years prior to that.  That was 1992ish, also the year that the original owners sold R&R to the current owners.  To say there was a bit of a culture change there after the sale is an understatement.

Best regards,

John

My cabs were done probably 8-10 years prior to your arrival. They must have done a brisk business in the 80s...saw several versions of my R&R cabinets out and about.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #54 on: February 11, 2017, 06:09:47 pm »

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]   Go Up

Page created in 0.041 seconds with 24 queries.