ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Chauvet Rogue line questions  (Read 8501 times)

Matt Greiner

Chauvet Rogue line questions
« on: February 02, 2017, 10:29:22 PM »

Looking at getting some of the Chauvet Rogue fixtures.  I've read the specs, seen the youtube videos, but what I'm looking for is if anyone on here has had personal experience with these fixtures side by side.  I currently have Mac250 Entours and Mac300 washes.  Both use the Philips MSD 250/2 lamp.  So that's the output that I currently have.

I'm considering either the Rogue R1 or R2 beams, and possibly the R2 spot.  I know the best way would be to rent a few to compare, get some demos, or go to a dealer, but living in Iowa, we don't have those options available.  At least not that I've found.

I guess my big questions are, how much difference is there between the R1 and R2 beams, in output when compared against each other?  Is the difference big enough to justify the cost difference?

Also, the iris on the R2 spot looks like it can get the degree of the beam very narrow, could I use them as a "poor man's beam" if needed.  I also realize that the output of the R2 spot will not be near as bright as either R1 or R2 beam. 

I have a Martin Magnum 2500hz and am just not getting enough punch with the Mac 250 Entours in the air.

Any and all opinions are appreciated.

Thanks!

TJ (Tom) Cornish

• St. Paul, MN
Re: Chauvet Rogue line questions
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2017, 06:34:56 AM »

Looking at getting some of the Chauvet Rogue fixtures.  I've read the specs, seen the youtube videos, but what I'm looking for is if anyone on here has had personal experience with these fixtures side by side.  I currently have Mac250 Entours and Mac300 washes.  Both use the Philips MSD 250/2 lamp.  So that's the output that I currently have.

I'm considering either the Rogue R1 or R2 beams, and possibly the R2 spot.  I know the best way would be to rent a few to compare, get some demos, or go to a dealer, but living in Iowa, we don't have those options available.  At least not that I've found.

I guess my big questions are, how much difference is there between the R1 and R2 beams, in output when compared against each other?  Is the difference big enough to justify the cost difference?

Also, the iris on the R2 spot looks like it can get the degree of the beam very narrow, could I use them as a "poor man's beam" if needed.  I also realize that the output of the R2 spot will not be near as bright as either R1 or R2 beam. 

I have a Martin Magnum 2500hz and am just not getting enough punch with the Mac 250 Entours in the air.

Any and all opinions are appreciated.

Thanks!
I own the R2 washes and the build quality and output are great. I presume that translates to the other Rogue models.

On paper I think it's pretty likely the R2 spot will outrun the Mac250, and the R2 spot has almost twice the brightness as the R1, so if you're concerned, the R2 is worth it, for sure.

The iris isn't a substitute for a tighter beam angle - it truncates the beam rather than focusing it. If tight beams are important to you, I think the hybrid fixture is for you.

I'm hoping they come out with an R3 spot that has zoom. I find that hard to live without.

Edit: unautocorrecting
« Last Edit: February 03, 2017, 11:56:09 AM by TJ (Tom) Cornish »

Nathan Riddle

• Niceville, FL
    • Nailed Productions
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2017, 09:16:26 AM »

Beam vs spot is a different discussion.

I put in R1 spot's in a place and compared to their Mac250 spot's they are 1.5 to 2x as bright (closer to 2x). That is also with new R1's vs old 250 (new led engine vs many hour msd250 lamp).
I'm just a guy trying to do the next right thing.

This business is for people with too much energy for desk jobs and too much brain for labor jobs. - Scott Helmke

Matt Greiner

« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2017, 09:44:35 AM »

Beam vs spot is a different discussion.

I understand that completely.  I'm a small operator and don't have a lot of funds.  Am I trying to squeeze as much out of my fixtures, even maybe more than I should, yes.   It's just hard without a dealer or showroom to compare.  But I appreciate the comparison with the R1 spot.

Nathan Riddle

• Niceville, FL
    • Nailed Productions
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2017, 09:51:16 AM »

I understand that completely.  I'm a small operator and don't have a lot of funds.  Am I trying to squeeze as much out of my fixtures, even maybe more than I should, yes.   It's just hard without a dealer or showroom to compare.  But I appreciate the comparison with the R1 spot.

Absolutely, same here.

Honestly, if you want to cheap out you could go Chinese. You just gotta invest some time in understanding how to fix them.

I love my 10R/B280 Beam + Spot + Wash Hybrids.

There's pros/cons to Chinese though.

Rogue series is good low cost yet still quality & reputable.

As far as beam vs spot... what type of events do you run? If blues/jazz/classic rock styles then spot... if EDM, modern worship music for students, etc. then beam. If both, then both.
I'm just a guy trying to do the next right thing.

This business is for people with too much energy for desk jobs and too much brain for labor jobs. - Scott Helmke

Matt Greiner

« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2017, 10:11:32 AM »

Honestly, if you want to cheap out you could go Chinese.

I try to buy quality gear,  I would rather buy fewer fixtures of a higher quality than more quantity knockoffs.

I do a few corporate gigs a year, but mainly DJ/bands.  Especially since I already have some spots, I was leaning towards beams anyway.

Jeff Lelko

• Cape Canaveral, FL
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2017, 03:10:00 PM »

I try to buy quality gear,  I would rather buy fewer fixtures of a higher quality than more quantity knockoffs.

I hear ya!  That's the problem with lighting though - there's a "minimum number of fixtures" you need to pull off various effects, and that's usually 6-8, though sometimes several dozen more depending on what your design calls for and the size of your stage/venue.  What's your budget per fixture and how many do you plan to buy? 

Just to throw it out there, you could also consider buying used name brand fixtures.  Major pros and cons to that as well, but I've found it to be a cost effective way to get name brand fixtures into my inventory without the tremendous upfront cost of buying new.  Just like the Chinese route, you have to do your homework and be ready/able to do repairs on your own, otherwise they're not so cost effective anymore.  Hope this helps! 

Matt Greiner

« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2017, 05:40:55 PM »

As for typcial venues, I'm not doing anything with large capacities, or high ceilings.  All my truss is and will be ground supported.

As for used fixtures, that's normally what I buy.  That's where all the Entours and Mac 300 washes have come from.  I've had to do some repairs on the Mac's, (motors) but nothing that I couldn't handle.  I realize if a main board goes out, it'll be tough to find parts.  But I've got a few extra parts units laying around too, which helps. 
Right now, looking at the Chauvet Rogue line, a lot of the used fixtures I've seen are around $200-$300 less than buying new.  So do you save $200-$300, and maybe have to replace a bulb (beam) or have some hrs on the LED's, or spend it, get a NIB and factory warranty to go with.  I understand that is a decision that I alone have to make, weighing the potential costs associated with buying used gear.

Jeff Lelko

• Cape Canaveral, FL
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2017, 06:33:09 PM »

So do you save $200-$300, and maybe have to replace a bulb (beam) or have some hrs on the LED's, or spend it, get a NIB and factory warranty to go with.  I understand that is a decision that I alone have to make, weighing the potential costs associated with buying used gear.

If it were me, I'd go for the new fixtures in this case.  Repairs get expensive quickly and to me the warranty alone is worth a few hundred bucks, just for the peace of mind if nothing else that you won't have a DOA fixture and a seller that just fell off the map.  The used fixtures really get cost effective when you're dealing with the $4000 - $10k+ units that just simply aren't affordable to buy new.  Either way, good luck with the purchase!

John Fruits

« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2017, 08:31:39 PM »

Have you considered a road trip to check out some gear?  This year the USITT show is one state away from you in St. Louis. 
http://www.usittshow.com/stage-expo
I don't know if you do lights only, or lights and sound but there is also the Live Sound International/ ProSoundWeb loudspeaker demo.
http://www.usittshow.com/live-sound-c1wew
You might also be interested on this light company which uses mostly Chauvet Pro gear (and some Elation).
http://www.squeeklights.com/
At the bottom of the home page are some links to trade journal articles which are informative. 
"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs.  There's also a negative side."-Hunter S. Thompson

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2017, 08:31:39 PM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.038 seconds with 25 queries.