ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Da Lite Screens  (Read 8111 times)

Bob Cap

• Classic LAB
Da Lite Screens
« on: February 01, 2017, 04:06:55 PM »

We have a couple of DaLite fastfold screens. We don't use them a lot but they are stored indoors. The last couple of times we set them up they seemed to gat harder and harder to stretch to fit the frames.

DaLite says over time they shrink and the only thing to do is buy new screen fabrics...

What.....

Anyone else run into this? Anyone find a solution that does not include buying new screens?

If nothing else I believe DaLite should tell you this before you buy their screens...

Bob Cap
Advanced Audio Inc.
Gilbert, MN
[email protected]
« Last Edit: February 01, 2017, 06:08:26 PM by Bob Cap »

Milt Hathaway

• http://www.fitzcosound.com
Re: Da Lite Screens
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2017, 07:18:47 PM »

I have a bunch of Da-Lite screens, and a few newer Draper screens. They all shrink. It's just they way they are. At least replacement surfaces are cheaper than full kits.

It get worse though: Da-Lite rear screens get oily/sticky after a couple of years. They can kind of be cleaned (Windex works best, oddly enough) but you'll be lucky to get 5 years out of them no matter how often they are used in that time. This is the reason I'm transitioning to Draper. I haven't seen the same problem with theirs, and I like their Ultimate frames a bit better.
--
Milt
FitzCo Sound, Inc.
Midland, TX
http://www.fitzcosound.com

Scott Levine

« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2017, 09:28:24 AM »

I just used 1 for rear projection and literally stretched it onto the snaps with one other person snapping the opposite corner and holding it right. It was absolute torture and time wasting. I am considering the possibility of retrofitting grommets and using a bungee cable system instead with the existing screen and frame. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Regards,

"Not so Mean" Scott Levine
Strike Sound & Lighting

"There is nothing that can't be repaired or improved through the judicious use of gaffe tape."

Bob Cap

• Classic LAB
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2017, 09:52:30 AM »

I just used 1 for rear projection and literally stretched it onto the snaps with one other person snapping the opposite corner and holding it right. It was absolute torture and time wasting. I am considering the possibility of retrofitting grommets and using a bungee cable system instead with the existing screen and frame. 

May a workaround. I'm just pissed this happens. Yes the replacement screens are cheeper that a whole new screen system....Why don't they tell you this will happen so you can plan ahead???

I'm going to try to make some kind of jig to grab on to each corner loop and turn a crank to stretch the screen....Maybe it might work.

But can you guess who will never buy another Da-Lite product? And I have installed several of them...

Scott Levine

« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2017, 11:15:05 AM »

That is why we have these forums. I will also never buy anything from Sony more expensive than a PlayStation. They drop support on older products including updates for OS upgrades. Awareness amongst our peers is the best and only defense we have.

Regards,

Strike Sound & Lighting

"There is nothing that can't be repaired or improved through the judicious use of gaffe tape."

Bob Cap

• Classic LAB
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2017, 03:30:14 PM »

That is why we have these forums. I will also never buy anything from Sony more expensive than a PlayStation. They drop support on older products including updates for OS upgrades. Awareness amongst our peers is the best and only defense we have.

Yes, DaLite can take their dealership and shove it!

Scott Levine

« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2017, 09:57:28 AM »

Yes, DaLite can take their dealership and shove it!
Yeah!

Regards,

Strike Sound & Lighting

Shawn Keck

« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2017, 02:48:48 PM »

Their screen surfaces are more susceptible to temperature shrinkage than age. Take them off a cold truck and good luck. Let the surface warm up to room temp or better and they go on much easier.

Derek D Sanchez

• DDSProductions.
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2017, 02:06:55 AM »

The Da Lite Screens aint that bad, we have two 10'x14' dual vision almost 5 years old, two 8'X8' dual vision and two 10'x6' dual vision less than two years old. We keep them in the trailer or in the garage and they do just fine, when bringing them into a cold place let them sit for a hour and they will be easier to attach, we usually don't and they can take two people to stretch them but that because we are not patient. The 10'x14' are sticky but i thought it was from the fog we used a while back at shows i guess its just the way they become the other ones are not sticky and look like new. When we first got the 10'x14' some color dots appeared after a few uses and Da Lite sent new ones asap, also one of my 10'x6' border was about a quarter inch more thick and when used together you could tell in the pictures i take, Da Lite sent a replacement asap also. If you have any problems call them up and see what they can do. We use them a lot sometimes and sometimes they sit a while but overall i like them. Also when attaching them i start from the top corners one person on each top side, one corner at a time (3 buttons on each corner first) then before attaching all the buttons i stretch to the bottom corners and attach those 3 buttons per side then finish all the buttons around the screen, if i try going down a botton at a time it will be a pain in the butt to stretch. Derek DDS Productions
« Last Edit: March 09, 2017, 02:20:01 AM by Derek D Sanchez »

John Rutirasiri

« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2017, 02:20:52 AM »

AV Stumpfl is the way to go if budget allows.  Easier to snap surface to frame, frame sturdier and bend-resistant, and no need to sandbag the legs for all but the largest screens.

John R.
ClearImpact Sound & Event Services, Inc.
Sound/Lighting/Corporate A/V

"If it ain't broke, make it better."

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2017, 02:20:52 AM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.052 seconds with 23 queries.