ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Feature List  (Read 25968 times)

Ray Aberle

• Classic LAB
  • Located in Vancouver, WA (and serves OR-WA-ID-BC)
    • Kelcema Audio
Re: Feature List
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2017, 05:25:34 PM »

My post was from email as well, on my computer, and not a webform. (MacOS Mail program)

So if I am getting this correct, what the email program now sees as my contact (and using MacOS, contacts stored in the "Contacts" app) -- what you're saying is that it would now be seen as a snapshot of the "bigger picture," and all of the associated information within my name file in the Contact App is now available through the other program. So, a contact can have multiple data attributes to it (name, email, telephone number, availability, skill set, etc) which would then be available to the other program.... right? Instead of "data attributes," though, you're referring to them as "tags" as a shorter means of reference?

So in reference to this Rental Management Software program, one would have, say, an asset-- "Midas M32" that would have various attributes to it, "Rack Mountable," "32x16 XLR," "Requires Stage Box and Drive Snake," and so on, as well as a tie into the master calendar to broadcast when it's already in use, so if my date field shows "June 9th to 11th" and the M32 already has something booked in that time frame, it would report as unavailable? And when one selects an AVAILABLE M32, it would automagically pull (auto populate) the requisite 'additionally required items' OR would at least prompt the user to select those items ('suggested for you')?

Or a person-- "Jeff, A1" who would show as available (or not) based on the schedule of the proposed event, his availability, and pre-existing commitments within my company's system?

Or feel free to slap me if I'm still not grasping how the system could work. :)

-Ray
Kelcema Audio
Regional - Serving Pacific Northwest (OR, WA, ID, BC)

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2017, 07:30:24 PM »

My post was from email as well, on my computer, and not a webform. (MacOS Mail program)

So if I am getting this correct, what the email program now sees as my contact (and using MacOS, contacts stored in the "Contacts" app) -- what you're saying is that it would now be seen as a snapshot of the "bigger picture," and all of the associated information within my name file in the Contact App is now available through the other program. So, a contact can have multiple data attributes to it (name, email, telephone number, availability, skill set, etc) which would then be available to the other program.... right? Instead of "data attributes," though, you're referring to them as "tags" as a shorter means of reference?

So in reference to this Rental Management Software program, one would have, say, an asset-- "Midas M32" that would have various attributes to it, "Rack Mountable," "32x16 XLR," "Requires Stage Box and Drive Snake," and so on, as well as a tie into the master calendar to broadcast when it's already in use, so if my date field shows "June 9th to 11th" and the M32 already has something booked in that time frame, it would report as unavailable? And when one selects an AVAILABLE M32, it would automagically pull (auto populate) the requisite 'additionally required items' OR would at least prompt the user to select those items ('suggested for you')?

Or a person-- "Jeff, A1" who would show as available (or not) based on the schedule of the proposed event, his availability, and pre-existing commitments within my company's system?

Or feel free to slap me if I'm still not grasping how the system could work. :)

-Ray

Bing Bing Bing we have a winner.  Tags is not my word it's an HTML5/json/responsive term used to describe the modern "flat" interface. 

What is also so cool is everything you mentioned is really just a different "view" of the same data and reuses the components from the original exercise. 

The ReSTful API provides a way for our two HTML5 apps (inventory and scheduling) to be "mashed up" into a single coherent UI.

Ditto with the Google calendar.  You write a function to publish a pick list into your Google calendar if you are not on the whenIwork bandwagon.

BTW I think it is important that I note I have no skin in whenIwork.  They just are nice folks with a cool vision.

Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Shane Ervin

« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2017, 11:05:48 AM »

Bing Bing Bing we have a winner.  Tags is not my word it's an HTML5/json/responsive term used to describe the modern "flat" interface. 

What is also so cool is everything you mentioned is really just a different "view" of the same data and reuses the components from the original exercise.

Here's a wiki article on the Entity - Attribute - Value (EAV) model and relational database structures.  It has a section on the criticality of the metadata.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2017, 11:08:43 AM by Shane Ervin »

Newer: EAW 8" MicroWedges; QSC PLD 4.2 PLD 4.3; QSC TouchMix-16; UAD Apollo 16; Sennheiser G3 IEM wireless
Older: JBL SR 4738 / SR4718; BSS MiniDrive; Klark Teknik DN-301; Yorkville AP4040 AP2020; Motion Labs Rac Pac;

Lyle Williams

« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2017, 02:02:33 PM »

It would be nice if there was an open, popular, and standardised software interface to allow different rental software to interwork.

Eg, if a bunch of companies cooperate and cross-rent gear in a city, it would be nice if their inventory/status/schedule/bookings were visible to each other.

Ray Aberle

• Classic LAB
  • Located in Vancouver, WA (and serves OR-WA-ID-BC)
    • Kelcema Audio
« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2017, 02:16:23 PM »

It would be nice if there was an open, popular, and standardised software interface to allow different rental software to interwork.

Eg, if a bunch of companies cooperate and cross-rent gear in a city, it would be nice if their inventory/status/schedule/bookings were visible to each other.

Yes, until you get the one bad apple, "Gosh, here's a show being done by this other company, and I'd sure like to steal, since I know about it" -- and they use that information to poach gigs.

I don't think any company would willingly release that much information about their shows/infrastructure. =-\

HOWEVER, a manner in which you could have a show file created, and it shows that x, y, and z are not available in your inventory, a quick and easy way to create a cross rental request and submit it to another company (either through a network interface, or simply input name and email address of your sales contact at the other company, and it automagically sends a "Do you have this available on this date?" request email. Then, the reply could automagically 'fill in the blanks' for you, indicating a positive response from the other company.

-Ray
Kelcema Audio
Regional - Serving Pacific Northwest (OR, WA, ID, BC)

Scott Holtzman

« Reply #15 on: February 02, 2017, 02:37:56 PM »

HOWEVER, a manner in which you could have a show file created, and it shows that x, y, and z are not available in your inventory, a quick and easy way to create a cross rental request and submit it to another company (either through a network interface, or simply input name and email address of your sales contact at the other company, and it automagically sends a "Do you have this available on this date?" request email. Then, the reply could automagically 'fill in the blanks' for you, indicating a positive response from the other company.

-Ray

Qwipped already has this.  They also have an API.  It's on my list of feature list.  From an inventory item have a "list on Qwipped" checkbox.  The great thing is you don't even have to list prices.

If that worked instead of logging on you could also seach qwipped from within the workspace

Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Andrew Broughton

• Check Check One Two
« Reply #16 on: February 02, 2017, 04:56:12 PM »

Some random thoughts, in no particular order, based on the limitations I've found with commercial rental inventory software...

1. Ability to choose "any" of a multiple item, or a specific one, when confirming a rental. e.g. You have 4 M7CL consoles, but there's a specific one you want to use on a particular job for whatever reason, you should be able to choose that one when booking. But, if the particular one doesn't matter, you can say so, and when the rig is prepped, whichever one you scan will get pulled from inventory. If a specific one was chosen when booked, it will prompt you to scan that one and not a different one. Choosing "Any" could be a default. Obviously some items will be serialized while others are not and are simply a quantity with no individual serial number. You cannot pick a "specific" item in this case.

2. Inventory should be able to be categorized into multiple "departments". e.g. a power cable could be used for sound, lighting or video. Having a single bin of power cables for any purpose may be one way your shop is set up, so you shouldn't have to be forced to have separate "audio power cables", "video power cables", if the 2 pieces are identical.

3. Warnings when building a quote if you try to quote an item that's not available or is pending on another job. Some systems allow you to quote whatever you want, and wait until you book it to check inventory. You may want to quote only items that you know you have available, or at least allow you to quote higher if you know that you'll be needing to subrent.
-Andy

"Well, my days of not taking you seriously are certainly coming to a middle..."

http://www.checkcheckonetwo.com
Saving lives through Digital Audio, Programming and Electronics.

Cailen Waddell

« Reply #17 on: February 02, 2017, 06:45:54 PM »

Rental Software Requirements

Im very train of thought - so if this is confusing forgive me

Tags - yay!

One important and probably obvious item of discussion is being non-destructive in edits.  For example, if a piece of equipment has it’s rate changed, any events that have already been quoted, should not update, but any future quotes should use the new rate.

Workflows should be somewhat customizable.  For example, I am a small shop/org.  I am simply NOT scanning shit in and out of the warehouse.  I want to book it, and see it on a pull sheet and move on with my life.  Some people may not want to do that.  It should be a choice.

Ability to suppress all finacials

Equipment - Data to have/track
   .csv import
   .csv export

equipment categories will be tag based, so I’m not going to get into that.

Serialized vs non-serialized.  Both should be options. 

Manufacturer, Model, Common Name, Purchase price, purchase date, replacement price, current value.  Qty

Base Rate (There should be a base daily rate - users should be able to define the weekly rate as x times base, monthly, etc)

I have two thoughts with regards to maintenance.  First is simply a free flowing field where entries can be made.  The second is child records with time/date stamps for each item

Item history.  User based tracking of creation and change of items.

A boolean value that indicates if equipment requires maintenance between every booking (a fogger for example, topping off fluid)

other people have adequately described the need to package gear into groups and check in and out as a group.  There should also be the ability to book packages of non-perm. gear.  For example, “Small sound system”  That automatically pulls 2 of your 12 small speakers, mixer, cables, etc, in a non-serialized manner

Other customizable alert text on gear.  Can choose if alert pops a booking, or a pull, or scan, or whatever.  Some people use this with a text field to track lamp hours on projectors.

Contacts
This should be pretty straightforward, but there should be organizations and contact, and organization can have many contacts, but an event or rental can be attached to an org or a contact

Events/Bookings

Event name, pull date, pickup/delivery date, event start date, event end date, pickup/return date.  With some auto populate options.  A little scheduling module within an event could be nice too.  Nothing fancy but a simple date/time/description.  So I can say Day 1, 8am crew call, 10am client sound check, 12p lunch, 1p call, 2p doors, 2:30p show, 5:30p show ends, catered dinner, load out, or whatever.

Ability to upload files to events

Workflow - thoughts….

Equipment lists - I like a list.  even if we are tag based, there is going to need to be a sortable list.  I like to see serialized equipment listed individually, non-serialized with total quantities

An inventory reconciliation screen where you actually do inventory

When I book a show I like to put in dates, then have a pull list type entry of gear in, then a different screen where I can see invoices, and adjust, suppress individual lines, or all line items with just totals

Scott Holtzman

« Reply #18 on: February 02, 2017, 07:24:42 PM »

Rental Software Requirements

Im very train of thought - so if this is confusing forgive me

Tags - yay!

One important and probably obvious item of discussion is being non-destructive in edits.  For example, if a piece of equipment has it’s rate changed, any events that have already been quoted, should not update, but any future quotes should use the new rate.

Workflows should be somewhat customizable.  For example, I am a small shop/org.  I am simply NOT scanning shit in and out of the warehouse.  I want to book it, and see it on a pull sheet and move on with my life.  Some people may not want to do that.  It should be a choice.

Ability to suppress all finacials

Equipment - Data to have/track
   .csv import
   .csv export

equipment categories will be tag based, so I’m not going to get into that.

Serialized vs non-serialized.  Both should be options. 

Manufacturer, Model, Common Name, Purchase price, purchase date, replacement price, current value.  Qty

Base Rate (There should be a base daily rate - users should be able to define the weekly rate as x times base, monthly, etc)

I have two thoughts with regards to maintenance.  First is simply a free flowing field where entries can be made.  The second is child records with time/date stamps for each item

Item history.  User based tracking of creation and change of items.

A boolean value that indicates if equipment requires maintenance between every booking (a fogger for example, topping off fluid)

other people have adequately described the need to package gear into groups and check in and out as a group.  There should also be the ability to book packages of non-perm. gear.  For example, “Small sound system”  That automatically pulls 2 of your 12 small speakers, mixer, cables, etc, in a non-serialized manner

Other customizable alert text on gear.  Can choose if alert pops a booking, or a pull, or scan, or whatever.  Some people use this with a text field to track lamp hours on projectors.

Contacts
This should be pretty straightforward, but there should be organizations and contact, and organization can have many contacts, but an event or rental can be attached to an org or a contact

Events/Bookings

Event name, pull date, pickup/delivery date, event start date, event end date, pickup/return date.  With some auto populate options.  A little scheduling module within an event could be nice too.  Nothing fancy but a simple date/time/description.  So I can say Day 1, 8am crew call, 10am client sound check, 12p lunch, 1p call, 2p doors, 2:30p show, 5:30p show ends, catered dinner, load out, or whatever.

Ability to upload files to events

Workflow - thoughts….

Equipment lists - I like a list.  even if we are tag based, there is going to need to be a sortable list.  I like to see serialized equipment listed individually, non-serialized with total quantities

An inventory reconciliation screen where you actually do inventory

When I book a show I like to put in dates, then have a pull list type entry of gear in, then a different screen where I can see invoices, and adjust, suppress individual lines, or all line items with just totals

Cailen,

Some really good stuff here.  I am not going to even begin to thing beyond the most basic fields for inventory.  The rest you are going to do yourself.  I already have a function that adds fields to a table in SQL and looks like this.  Just stick this on every inventory item:

For all you procedural code folks, this is all you have to do to make that data construct:

<input type="text" id="custom_key_'+idx+'" name="sip_custom_key_'+idx+'" class="sip-custom" value="'+key+'" tabindex="'+tabindex+'"> =\
  <input type="text" id="custom_val_'+idx+'" name="sip_custom_val_'+idx+'" value="'+val+'" tabindex="'+tabindexp+'">\

Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Scott Holtzman

« Reply #19 on: February 02, 2017, 07:29:10 PM »

Here is the same code in a newer prettier json type wrapper. 

Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: February 02, 2017, 07:29:10 PM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.021 seconds with 25 queries.