Sound Reinforcement - Forums for Live Sound Professionals - Your Displayed Name Must Be Your Real Full Name To Post In The Live Sound Forums > Rental Management Software Project

Feature List

<< < (2/7) > >>

Scott Holtzman:

--- Quote from: Ray Aberle on February 01, 2017, 02:38:28 PM ---Scott, I *really* hope this is indeed more complicated on here than it will be in practice! Asking someone to type "#inventory:numberofinputs:8" to find consoles/interfaces with more than 8 inputs would be obscene.

I'm used to (like Riley) the Filemaker concept- here's a field, and if it's a category setup ("Consoles") you select a sub category in another field that has its choices populated based on your entry into the first field. So, after selecting "consoles," you then have console options in the second field.

I might be missing something here. I don't see the correlation of email address fields with this project. =-\

Ray

--- End quote ---

It's actually easier.  Have you used any software with tags such as Office 365?  The old style fields you refer to would be replaced with empty web cells.  As you type the selections (some of which would be prepopulated to make sense like consoles, speakers, microphones etc. for device type as you mention). 

So once we agree on the container hierarchy.  To be it starts with two large groups things and places.  From that point on we can drill it down.  How we describe things and places.

The whole idea of this in my opinion is to add "where is my stuff" to "when I work".  When I work is a fully object oriented PHP scheduler.  Could you take a few minutes to go to their website and watch the trial video to get an idea how object tag fields work.

Here is a shot of a schedule box:

Tags are also great for experts because once you get fast at the system you can go to the search box and type site:pj and get all the gigs at PJ McCintyre's.  I have been using WhenIwork for about 60 days now and it is nothing short of amazing.  Already reached out to the developers about my Whereismystuff plug in.  They have other industries that have developed plugins.

The API for WhenIwork is what is called a restful interface (again see below) and allows developers to quickly create these mashup relationships.

I don't want to get too excited (though I really am) but imagine the "where is my stuff" interface becomes the single point of truth for all your configuration data?  We could easily store IP info, mappings, templates, scenes etc. and even launch you into the vendor app for configuration of the actual item.  If you using one of the asset tagging services we would use their geo tracker API to display a map of where your gear is.  Google provides a map API that let's you embed driving directions or birdseye Google Map data in your app all you do is pass them the address.

Since the app runs in a browser all these mashups are created with XML/Frames and rendered behind the scenes with no code required.

It's not your Daddy's linear code.

Filemaker is stone knives and bearskins.  The speed at which you can develop in these nextgen platforms is nothing short of amazing. 

Ray Aberle:
I've certainly used Office 365, but not the tagged version, just the traditional versions with files and such. So I don't have that frame of reference yet, sorry!

I assume you mean "whereiwork.com" for your "go to their website;" but there's no info on object tags. =-\ This might be a "waiting until you have a demo" period for me, just to see it IRL as to how this all flows through!

I agree with Kevin that having the scheduling built in to this project would certainly be nice...

(And I'm glad you understand all of this, Scott. I remember turn-of-the-century stuff, and that's really when I was last involved in major web tech-- things have certainly grown. Although that brings up another point- making this project be something that's browser independent. Requiring the use of one browser only would suck, and go against the whole concept of the internet in general.)

-Ray

Scott Holtzman:

--- Quote from: Ray Aberle on February 01, 2017, 03:58:43 PM ---I've certainly used Office 365, but not the tagged version, just the traditional versions with files and such. So I don't have that frame of reference yet, sorry!

I assume you mean "whereiwork.com" for your "go to their website;" but there's no info on object tags. =-\ This might be a "waiting until you have a demo" period for me, just to see it IRL as to how this all flows through!

I agree with Kevin that having the scheduling built in to this project would certainly be nice...

(And I'm glad you understand all of this, Scott. I remember turn-of-the-century stuff, and that's really when I was last involved in major web tech-- things have certainly grown. Although that brings up another point- making this project be something that's browser independent. Requiring the use of one browser only would suck, and go against the whole concept of the internet in general.)

-Ray

--- End quote ---

No it's wheniwork.com

I think we are having a terminology issue.  If you click new email in office 365 and start typing in the to: field the names pop up.  Those are floating tags.  They then create an object (the oblong button) that you can drag around and reorder.  It's all the same thing.

Ray Aberle:

--- Quote from: Scott Holtzman on February 01, 2017, 04:04:35 PM ---
No it's wheniwork.com

I think we are having a terminology issue.  If you click new email in office 365 and start typing in the to: field the names pop up.  Those are floating tags.  They then create an object (the oblong button) that you can drag around and reorder.  It's all the same thing.

--- End quote ---

Sorry, I did mean wheniwork.com :) Still, nothing about object tags in their video section, but that's OK.

So, the reference in email, such as has been used for years in email, such as this-- where my name is now an object tag, and it can be moved from field to field? I've never heard those referred to as floating tags, but still, we have fixed fields that are in use, right?

Or did I miss the point?

-Ray

Scott Holtzman:

--- Quote from: Ray Aberle on February 01, 2017, 04:14:53 PM ---Sorry, I did mean wheniwork.com :) Still, nothing about object tags in their video section, but that's OK.

So, the reference in email, such as has been used for years in email, such as this-- where my name is now an object tag, and it can be moved from field to field? I've never heard those referred to as floating tags, but still, we have fixed fields that are in use, right?

Or did I miss the point?

-Ray

--- End quote ---

What we have here is a failure to communicate.  If you were sitting here I could show you in 2 minutes.

That's not a webform you posted is it?

Everything about WhenIWork is tags.  You can drag them from date to date, people, places and shifts are the key containers.   

I am trying to move away from thinking in terms of fields and records and towards modern array based data structures.

Take a look at my email.  I sent one to myself.  That round thing is not my name but a tag to another data container.  When I click on it see the box on the right, that's all my info.  That tags another container....Then I click on another container and up comes a graphical view of my part of the overall organizational unit.

None of those are monolithic structures within the AD database.  They can all be freely related in context.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version