Sound Reinforcement - Forums for Live Sound Professionals - Your Displayed Name Must Be Your Real Full Name To Post In The Live Sound Forums > Rental Management Software Project

Feature List

<< < (3/7) > >>

Ray Aberle:
My post was from email as well, on my computer, and not a webform. (MacOS Mail program)

So if I am getting this correct, what the email program now sees as my contact (and using MacOS, contacts stored in the "Contacts" app) -- what you're saying is that it would now be seen as a snapshot of the "bigger picture," and all of the associated information within my name file in the Contact App is now available through the other program. So, a contact can have multiple data attributes to it (name, email, telephone number, availability, skill set, etc) which would then be available to the other program.... right? Instead of "data attributes," though, you're referring to them as "tags" as a shorter means of reference?

So in reference to this Rental Management Software program, one would have, say, an asset-- "Midas M32" that would have various attributes to it, "Rack Mountable," "32x16 XLR," "Requires Stage Box and Drive Snake," and so on, as well as a tie into the master calendar to broadcast when it's already in use, so if my date field shows "June 9th to 11th" and the M32 already has something booked in that time frame, it would report as unavailable? And when one selects an AVAILABLE M32, it would automagically pull (auto populate) the requisite 'additionally required items' OR would at least prompt the user to select those items ('suggested for you')?

Or a person-- "Jeff, A1" who would show as available (or not) based on the schedule of the proposed event, his availability, and pre-existing commitments within my company's system?

Or feel free to slap me if I'm still not grasping how the system could work. :)

-Ray

Scott Holtzman:

--- Quote from: Ray Aberle on February 01, 2017, 05:25:34 PM ---My post was from email as well, on my computer, and not a webform. (MacOS Mail program)

So if I am getting this correct, what the email program now sees as my contact (and using MacOS, contacts stored in the "Contacts" app) -- what you're saying is that it would now be seen as a snapshot of the "bigger picture," and all of the associated information within my name file in the Contact App is now available through the other program. So, a contact can have multiple data attributes to it (name, email, telephone number, availability, skill set, etc) which would then be available to the other program.... right? Instead of "data attributes," though, you're referring to them as "tags" as a shorter means of reference?

So in reference to this Rental Management Software program, one would have, say, an asset-- "Midas M32" that would have various attributes to it, "Rack Mountable," "32x16 XLR," "Requires Stage Box and Drive Snake," and so on, as well as a tie into the master calendar to broadcast when it's already in use, so if my date field shows "June 9th to 11th" and the M32 already has something booked in that time frame, it would report as unavailable? And when one selects an AVAILABLE M32, it would automagically pull (auto populate) the requisite 'additionally required items' OR would at least prompt the user to select those items ('suggested for you')?

Or a person-- "Jeff, A1" who would show as available (or not) based on the schedule of the proposed event, his availability, and pre-existing commitments within my company's system?

Or feel free to slap me if I'm still not grasping how the system could work. :)

-Ray

--- End quote ---

Bing Bing Bing we have a winner.  Tags is not my word it's an HTML5/json/responsive term used to describe the modern "flat" interface. 

What is also so cool is everything you mentioned is really just a different "view" of the same data and reuses the components from the original exercise. 

The ReSTful API provides a way for our two HTML5 apps (inventory and scheduling) to be "mashed up" into a single coherent UI.

Ditto with the Google calendar.  You write a function to publish a pick list into your Google calendar if you are not on the whenIwork bandwagon.

BTW I think it is important that I note I have no skin in whenIwork.  They just are nice folks with a cool vision.

Shane Ervin:

--- Quote from: Scott Holtzman on February 01, 2017, 07:30:24 PM ---Bing Bing Bing we have a winner.  Tags is not my word it's an HTML5/json/responsive term used to describe the modern "flat" interface. 

What is also so cool is everything you mentioned is really just a different "view" of the same data and reuses the components from the original exercise.

--- End quote ---

Here's a wiki article on the Entity - Attribute - Value (EAV) model and relational database structures.  It has a section on the criticality of the metadata.

Lyle Williams:
It would be nice if there was an open, popular, and standardised software interface to allow different rental software to interwork.

Eg, if a bunch of companies cooperate and cross-rent gear in a city, it would be nice if their inventory/status/schedule/bookings were visible to each other.

Ray Aberle:

--- Quote from: Lyle Williams on February 02, 2017, 02:02:33 PM ---It would be nice if there was an open, popular, and standardised software interface to allow different rental software to interwork.

Eg, if a bunch of companies cooperate and cross-rent gear in a city, it would be nice if their inventory/status/schedule/bookings were visible to each other.

--- End quote ---

Yes, until you get the one bad apple, "Gosh, here's a show being done by this other company, and I'd sure like to steal, since I know about it" -- and they use that information to poach gigs.

I don't think any company would willingly release that much information about their shows/infrastructure. =-\

HOWEVER, a manner in which you could have a show file created, and it shows that x, y, and z are not available in your inventory, a quick and easy way to create a cross rental request and submit it to another company (either through a network interface, or simply input name and email address of your sales contact at the other company, and it automagically sends a "Do you have this available on this date?" request email. Then, the reply could automagically 'fill in the blanks' for you, indicating a positive response from the other company.

-Ray

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version