ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

What application platform would you like to see used for this project?

Django/Python or other Rapid Web Framework https://www.djangoproject.com/
- 1 (33.3%)
MEAN stack with Google Angular http://www.mean.io
- 0 (0%)
PHP 5.4 with Code Igniter https://codeigniter.com/
- 2 (66.7%)
Filemaker or other procedural DB
- 0 (0%)
BASIC
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 3

Voting closed: February 14, 2017, 01:19:16 AM

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: New forum  (Read 15722 times)

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
New forum
« on: February 01, 2017, 10:51:53 AM »

There has been interest in organizing the users of these forums to help develop a software solution for managing the rental inventory of a sound business.
This effort will be led by Scott Holtzman, will help and suggestions from the rest of the community.

Mac

Corey Scogin

• Birmingham, AL, US
Re: New forum
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2017, 11:06:08 AM »

Is the goal to create a design spec then outsource the development or something else?

Kevin McDonough

« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2017, 11:25:27 AM »

Is the goal to create a design spec then outsource the development or something else?

The goal as has been discussed in the other thread is firstly to put together a detailed spec and project plan, and possibly a small fund of money to allow Scott, who has experience with software development and access to programmers who could do a lot of the actual program work, to begin to move forward with the actual programming an implementation.

As far as I'm aware, forum members would be able to help in this if the had the relevant skills/experience, but if not would still be able to help in documentation writing, design decisions, UI, etc etc.

The software would then be available freely on the GPL license for people to use, but Scott has also indicated that for people who don't have access to web servers to host their own instance of the software, he would be able/willing to provide hosted access on servers he has for a small monthly fee.

However I'm sure he'll be along soon to give more detail on where we are and how we should plan to move forward.

K
« Last Edit: February 01, 2017, 11:51:03 AM by Scott Holtzman »

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2017, 12:02:58 PM »

The goal as has been discussed in the other thread is firstly to put together a detailed spec and project plan, and possibly a small fund of money to allow Scott, who has experience with software development and access to programmers who could do a lot of the actual program work, to begin to move forward with the actual programming an implementation.

As far as I'm aware, forum members would be able to help in this if the had the relevant skills/experience, but if not would still be able to help in documentation writing, design decisions, UI, etc etc.

The software would then be available freely on the GPL license for people to use, but Scott has also indicated that for people who don't have access to web servers to host their own instance of the software, he would be able/willing to provide hosted access on servers he has for a small monthly fee.

However I'm sure he'll be along soon to give more detail on where we are and how we should plan to move forward.

K

Kevin,  thanks for the fine introduction however some clarifications:

1 - The decision if we can solicit funds to add developers is being reviewed.  Not a given yet
2 - This has been going on for a long time.  I sold my business so no longer can provide hosting.  My current thinking is to publish a "playbook" or series of commands that can be pushed to a server so that the software could be installed when ordering an Amazon AWX/EC2 cloud instance or my personal favorite Digital Ocean.  In either event a simple installer will be provided on an image, that can be downloaded and put on a USB key or a DVD will install an Open Source operating system, a web server, a DB server and the software.  This method of distributing web based apps is called LAMP for Linux Apache MySQL and PHP.  Those constituents are:

1 - Linux - Basic operating system
2 - Apache - Web server
3 - MySQL - DB Server
4 - PHP - Web language

3 - We already have system admin tools (so users don't even have to see Linux), installers, updaters, home screens that can push feeds.  All we have to do is start writing modules. 
4 - I work on another Open Source project and have offered my time and some development resources
5 - I also intend to use this software in my production efforts

Thanks
Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Nathan Riddle

• Niceville, FL
    • Nailed Productions
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2017, 12:14:44 PM »

My day job is a software test developer. Primarily I write use cases, use Test Complete to test software to requirement specifications, etc.

I'm not particularly good at programming, I prefer a more hardware level programming (C++) than C# or SQL or databases.

That said, I understand UI, the user experience, various development strategies, etc.

I'd be willing to help out as much as time allows, (definitely not as a developer [no time as I'm growing my sound company & working my day job], probably I'm best suited a tester to give feedback and thoughts).
I'm just a guy trying to do the next right thing.

This business is for people with too much energy for desk jobs and too much brain for labor jobs. - Scott Helmke

James Feenstra

« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2017, 06:43:32 PM »

Can offer up some UI testing as well....I have a shop full of account managers that are eager to get on a new streamlined system. We're currently looking at Flex in the interm, mainly due to my previous experience with it.

Obviously it will take some time for a preliminary version of the PSW RM System to be released, however
Elevation Audiovisual
www.elevationav.com
Taking your events to the next level

Scott Holtzman

« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2017, 07:25:11 PM »

Can offer up some UI testing as well....I have a shop full of account managers that are eager to get on a new streamlined system. We're currently looking at Flex in the interm, mainly due to my previous experience with it.

Obviously it will take some time for a preliminary version of the PSW RM System to be released, however

We have a room we can't use the name yet though!  I want to have a fun naming contest as whenigetabused.com seems cynical

Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

John Rutirasiri

« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2017, 10:12:57 PM »

Is the scope limited to inventory management (barcode/QR code, checking in and out equipment), or does it include realtime asset tracking (e.g. geofencing used in the construction industry to track locations of heavy machinery)?

John R.
ClearImpact Sound & Event Services, Inc.
Sound/Lighting/Corporate A/V

"If it ain't broke, make it better."

Scott Holtzman

« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2017, 12:16:26 AM »

Is the scope limited to inventory management (barcode/QR code, checking in and out equipment), or does it include realtime asset tracking (e.g. geofencing used in the construction industry to track locations of heavy machinery)?

John R.

It's modular and Open Source should be able to integrate with an existing geotracking solution.

Let's get something going before we talk about improving it.

So far we have had 0 coders step up to the plate.  If I am footing the bill more than likely the features I need will get finished first, that's just a guess.  I don't want to be accused of not being transparent.

Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

John Rutirasiri

« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2017, 12:52:54 AM »

How about setting up a project in Github?  Need a place to store docs, log issues, do version control on code.

John R.
ClearImpact Sound & Event Services, Inc.
Sound/Lighting/Corporate A/V

"If it ain't broke, make it better."

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2017, 12:52:54 AM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.03 seconds with 24 queries.