ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]   Go Down

Author Topic: Mixing different types of subs  (Read 18643 times)

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
Re: Mixing different types of subs
« Reply #60 on: January 26, 2017, 09:53:25 PM »

Close miking has its place.

I do it all the time-when I am looking for specific things in specific places.

But you cannot get the "whole picture" that way.

Think of a simple 2 way cabinet (woofer and horn).

If you "close mic" you are going to get all kinds of different responses depending on where you put the mic.

There is NO position that will give you any sort of a "total picture".

You MUST get away from it so that the closeness of the mic to the source is more even between the 2 sound producing elements
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

Randy Pence

• Berlin, Germany
« Reply #61 on: January 28, 2017, 01:01:40 PM »

Hi Randy-

It's mostly that I find very little in EDM that connects with me the way that more traditional musical forms do.  I don't have any social or political issues with the genre or the vast majority of folks who perform at or attend EDM events.

I think my early exploration of electronic music creation - I remember Morton Subotnick - left me content in understanding the range of sonic possibilities and led to my involvement in early mulitrack overdubbing, tape loops and physical splicing for sound creation.  Perhaps, in a way, that sated my curiosity in such things.

Today I hear little EDM in performance that makes me want to move to that performance, unlike the way Motown or rock can.  I suspect that's a result of my birth date more than anything else, but I still feel a connection that is missing in much of EDM.

Altering ones state of consciousness is as old as humanity, I think, and creative people have fewer hangups about applying substances specifically for the purpose of finding a new or enhanced creative experience (or just for the hell of it).  From my youthful observations and experiences I don't think it is wise for my body to alter my consciousness to the point I can find a connection to most EDM.  That's just me, and others should decide for themselves what is physically or emotionally appropriate.

Your comments about the guitar are ones I can identify with to some extent.  I think both the hair band era (and that's when I was on the bus as a BE) and grunge were controlled largely by the commercial interests that delivered the music and resulted in a lack of musical exploration that ended up narrowly defining what the electric guitar should sound like.  There were some great players making successful but uninspired music.  I think I need to dig out some Ronnie Montrose or Larry Carlton vinyl and regress back to the good old days... 💪

Have fun, good luck.

Tim Mc

different strokes.  it was finally sonic youth and velvet underground which tipped me over edge to appreciate guitar stuff.

I'm hoping age can be left out of it.  There is plenty of music decades older than me which I can get into, and there is plenty of new stuff which I love.  Pop and hip hop peaked for me in the 90s.  Autotune has not been a very inspiring addition to music.  As stated before, what most of you are exposed to dance-music wise, is quite limited, but fair enough if one is not into resonant filters and fairly consistent kickdrum patterns

Jay Barracato

• Solomons, MD
« Reply #62 on: January 28, 2017, 02:27:58 PM »

I think all edm fans should be made to sit through all of metal machine music at concert levels.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Jay Barracato

Randy Pence

• Berlin, Germany
« Reply #63 on: January 28, 2017, 02:34:00 PM »

I think all edm fans should be made to sit through all of metal machine music at concert levels.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

id rather listen to that than coldplay or linkin park at any volume level

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #63 on: January 28, 2017, 02:34:00 PM »

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.032 seconds with 24 queries.