ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: Mixing different types of subs  (Read 10099 times)

Michael Gorecki

Mixing different types of subs
« on: January 24, 2017, 12:55:34 am »

Hey guys, I've got an EDM show coming up this weekend. It's the first real EDM show that I'm doing with my equipment and I want to make sure it goes the way it needs to. I've got up to 8 QSC GP 218 subs that I was planning on using. If I was doing a rock show in the same room I would only use 4 subs. So for this show I was thinking of just using 3 per side and ground stacking 4 array modules on top (SLS LS8800). A friend of mine has 4 Cerwin Vega TS42 horns that he swears by for EDM shows. I've been considering them as a center cluster but I'm afraid they'll be more trouble than they're worth.

The room is 78' deep, 89' wide and 20' high. The front of the PA will be about 19' off the back wall. We load in the day before the show so I do have some time to mess around with it if choose to use them.

First question, is it worth it?

2nd if I go through with this is their some recommended crossover points to start with? There is a bit of a gap in the PA right now in the low mids and I'm only slightly worried with only 4 tops a side that I'll be asking those 8" drivers to do more than they should.

I'm not looking for more volume, just more even coverage and additional headroom if I need it.

As always, thanks for the info

Mike

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Stu McDoniel

• Central Wisconsin...USA
Re: Mixing different types of subs
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2017, 02:07:32 am »

Hey guys, I've got an EDM show coming up this weekend. It's the first real EDM show that I'm doing with my equipment and I want to make sure it goes the way it needs to. I've got up to 8 QSC GP 218 subs that I was planning on using. If I was doing a rock show in the same room I would only use 4 subs. So for this show I was thinking of just using 3 per side and ground stacking 4 array modules on top (SLS LS8800). A friend of mine has 4 Cerwin Vega TS42 horns that he swears by for EDM shows. I've been considering them as a center cluster but I'm afraid they'll be more trouble than they're worth.

The room is 78' deep, 89' wide and 20' high. The front of the PA will be about 19' off the back wall. We load in the day before the show so I do have some time to mess around with it if choose to use them.

First question, is it worth it?

2nd if I go through with this is their some recommended crossover points to start with? There is a bit of a gap in the PA right now in the low mids and I'm only slightly worried with only 4 tops a side that I'll be asking those 8" drivers to do more than they should.

I'm not looking for more volume, just more even coverage and additional headroom if I need it.

As always, thanks for the info

Mike

Why not just center cluster the 8 QSC subs for more output?  Leave the CV's with your friend.

Chris Grimshaw

• Sheffield, UK
    • Grimshaw Audio
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2017, 04:22:35 am »

Why not just center cluster the 8 QSC subs for more output?  Leave the CV's with your friend.

Stacks look cooler.

I'd take 8x QSCs over 4x CVs, if you can power everything adequately. That's 4x ported 18" drivers for each 21" in a horn.

I don't know what the recommended processing on the QSC subs is, and a quick search online didn't turn up much.

Chris
Sheffield-based sound engineering.
www.grimshawaudio.com

Keith Broughton

• Toronto
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2017, 07:59:22 am »

Adding a different style of sub may cause more problems than you think.
Stick with the subs that are all the same.
Centre cluster works better but not as "cool" looking.
I use the SLS 8800's a lot and would be interested to know how 4/side worked out for EDM.
I don't care enough to be apathetic

John Chiara

« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2017, 10:47:47 am »

The room is 89' wide. 8 subs in the center...will give a very directional output. I have used 4 of those subs outside centered and the coverage was way too narrow. Aren't they trapezoidal shaped?

Michael Gorecki

« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2017, 10:53:59 am »

I need to stack the subs 3 high to get the 8800's to the proper height. There are no fly points in the club and they don't really have the space for genie towers.

I'd take the 8 subs over the CVs as well. I was just wondering if there was any benefit to using horns for this style of music.

And there are 0 recommended processing sheets for the QSC subs. I've talked with QSC and they said I have to buy their processor if I want to get the settings.

Keith, I'm worried about what the subs will do if I put them in the same space together. I'm really unfamiliar with the results of horn loaded cabinets.

But 4 horn loaded subs as a center cluster horn "would look really cool". If I attempt this am I better off lining the four subs up in a row or putting two on their sides and stacking the other two on top?
I'm curious how they will work as well. I set 4 8800 up the other day against a pair of my qrx212 and they blew them out of the water. So I'm confident that they will preform well. Although they are much more time consuming to setup.

Michael Gorecki

« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2017, 10:57:02 am »

The room is 89' wide. 8 subs in the center...will give a very directional output. I have used 4 of those subs outside centered and the coverage was way too narrow. Aren't they trapezoidal shaped?

John the WL218 is the trapezoidal sub, these things are giant rectangles.

Chris Grimshaw

• Sheffield, UK
    • Grimshaw Audio
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2017, 10:58:35 am »

Got any measurement gear?
Chances are we can figure out some processing ;)

Chris
Sheffield-based sound engineering.
www.grimshawaudio.com

Nathan Riddle

• Niceville, FL
    • Nailed Productions
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2017, 12:37:57 pm »

Got any measurement gear?
Chances are we can figure out some processing ;)

Chris

I have access to both 1 GP218 and smaart + mic if he doesn't, I could take measurements.

The single sub is installed in a venue so the measurements will need to be taken with a grain of salt.

Also, my thread discusses this topic already but with different components, perhaps it can be of some help?
http://forums.prosoundweb.com/index.php/topic,158560.0.html
I'm just a guy trying to do the next right thing.

This business is for people with too much energy for desk jobs and too much brain for labor jobs. - Scott Helmke

Mark Wilkinson

« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2017, 01:17:34 pm »

Michael, given you have a day before to load in and try things, and that you need to use your 8 subs split into LR speaker stands, and it appears that the only cost of trying out the horn subs for use as an additional center stack.....
....is the effort...... unless the effort is simply too much hassle, I'd give the horn-subs a try.

I mean, great chance to learn....
And indoors, IMHO, all bets are off with subs anyway...even if they're all the same..
The room adds so many "reflected virtual subs", it's pretty much trial and error (at least for me)... ...(without any prediction software)..

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2017, 01:17:34 pm »

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7   Go Up

Page created in 0.115 seconds with 22 queries.