ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: Small/medium wood array cabinets  (Read 10188 times)

Don T. Williams

• Midas Pro 1 & 2, M32, dbTech T12, T8, S30, DM12
    • Q Systems Music & Sound
Re: Small/medium wood array cabinets
« Reply #20 on: January 24, 2017, 11:04:22 PM »

I am guessing that English is not Sam's primary language, and that may be part of our difficulty in understanding his desires.  He said he wanted cabinets that he could set on top of their packing cases, and then arrays, and then mentioned JBL VRX which would not set on top of packing cases very well at all!  I would also wonder why he put "void 1000" speakers in a cabinet designed for a specific JBL model.  Want to bet it wasn't a JBL cabinet at all?

Forum members tried to help, but some people are only looking for confirmation for what they have already decided to do!  I wish him well, but would not expect a very good audible outcome.  Hope it looks good!

John Rutirasiri

« Reply #21 on: January 25, 2017, 12:27:17 AM »

I have 2x18¨JBL custom subwoofers (2000watts each). Also lab grupen amplification, and i´m looking to buying new/second hand small/medium format passive array cabinets for live audio rock gigs.

Can anyone suggest any models to look for that you guys think sounds great to set a sound equipment with my subwoofers???

Here's one to consider...
http://jtrspeakers.com/portable/noesis-3tx/

Horizontally array-able...check.
Passive...check.
Light...check.
Good looking...check (new model with the grill anyway.)
Loud...check.
Sounds good....check check.

You would need more than one double 18" sub per side to keep up though.

John R.
ClearImpact Sound & Event Services, Inc.
Sound/Lighting/Corporate A/V

"If it ain't broke, make it better."

Sam Higuera

« Reply #22 on: January 25, 2017, 12:20:48 PM »

Hey, Don is probably right about the English. Sorry if i made any mistakes trying to explain in English.

Ok, since everyone see a better option a one single source cabinet to work with my subwoofers, i´m open to hear suggestions on what would could sound good with it.

I have a 3 way stereo DBX drive Pa crossover.

Here's one to consider...
http://jtrspeakers.com/portable/noesis-3tx/

Horizontally array-able...check.
Passive...check.
Light...check.
Good looking...check (new model with the grill anyway.)
Loud...check.
Sounds good....check check.

You would need more than one double 18" sub per side to keep up though.

John R.

Don T. Williams

• Midas Pro 1 & 2, M32, dbTech T12, T8, S30, DM12
    • Q Systems Music & Sound
« Reply #23 on: January 25, 2017, 05:41:49 PM »

Sam, I hope I didn't insult you, and I truly hope you get a good sounding system.  The forum members really care about audio quality and have a lot of experience.  But, we don't agree on everything and have our own likes and dislikes.  Some times we get a little snobbish if we think our best advise is being ignored.

If you are really wanting a stackable line array cabinet, I just came upon the DAS Artec 320 passive 2 X 10" line line array box.  It is really an install box, but handles and a speakon connector could be easily added.  It is flyable, but as I said it isn't supposed to be a touring box.  It looks like it would be easy to stack, but find a way to do it safely.

I have not heard this cabinet, but I have heard a lot of other DAS line array boxes and have usually liked what I heard.  The company is very international, so I suspect it would be available wherever you reside.  I don't know the cost.

In my opinion, line array boxes always sound better when there are a lot of them (6 or more per array) and they are flown where the lowest boxes are way above the heads of the audience.  Again just a personal opinion.  I'm certain there may be other small wood passive line array cabs, but these are from a company known for line array systems.

Again, good luck with your quest.

Lance Hallmark

• Tampa Bay, FL
    • Hallmark Events & Entertainment
« Reply #24 on: February 27, 2017, 02:24:42 PM »

Hey, Don is probably right about the English. Sorry if i made any mistakes trying to explain in English.

Ok, since everyone see a better option a one single source cabinet to work with my subwoofers, i´m open to hear suggestions on what would could sound good with it.

I have a 3 way stereo DBX drive Pa crossover.

I will also second the JTR Noesis 3TX. It's a 3 way cabinet that a pair can easily handle rock band levels for 4-500 people, in my opinion. As others have said, you will probably want at least 4 of the sub cabinets you have to keep up with the tops.
----------------------------------------------------
Lance Hallmark
Hallmark Events & Entertainment
Chamsys, Crown, Danley, EV, JTR, Powersoft, Yamaha

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #25 on: February 27, 2017, 10:34:54 PM »

Hi Sam-

We have 32 DB Technologies T4.  We've been happy with them even if they are plastic.  Not ideal but for the weight/price/output/client acceptance these were a good investment for us that paid off quickly.  I think we've sent just one back for warranty service.  Disclaimer:  we're also DB Tech dealers, and also have a whole bunch of JBL VerTec 4889/4880/4887 in our shop as well.

If you do not need a vertical array for rider/client acceptance I really think you would be hard pressed to beat the JBL SRX835p for tops.  About US$1500 each here in the States but no idea what they sell for elsewhere.  If you are in the USA I'd also suggest auditioning the JTR box that Lance and John R. recommend.  I've not heard that model but everything else I've heard from JTR has made me smile.  Not the cheapest, not the most expensive, but representing performance above what the price might suggest.  Plus Jeff is great at answering questions from prospective owners and he can often put a prospect in touch with a near-by JTR owner.

What kind of rock bands are you working with?  What are the expectations of the promoter, the acts and the audience?  How large a physical area (Sq M/Sq Ft) must be covered?
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Sam Higuera

« Reply #26 on: March 01, 2017, 02:20:22 PM »

Hey LAnce , i never heard of those JTR speakers, they seems really powerfull. I read about them on internet, they seem pretty good.A quite good choice.

Tim the JBL is also a good choice.We do rock /rock´n´roll local bands on northrn Spain.The physical area could be around 250/300 square meters.

I will also second the JTR Noesis 3TX. It's a 3 way cabinet that a pair can easily handle rock band levels for 4-500 people, in my opinion. As others have said, you will probably want at least 4 of the sub cabinets you have to keep up with the tops.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #26 on: March 01, 2017, 02:20:22 PM »

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.02 seconds with 25 queries.