ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Small/medium wood array cabinets  (Read 10174 times)

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
Re: Small/medium wood array cabinets
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2017, 07:43:45 PM »

Ivan we had an old and heavy Turbosound TSM 4 and we look forward getting a new equipment.
We are keeping the JBL Subs, and we though of getting some small format cabinets we could stack and add to our JBL subs. Multiple speakers in a small format cabinet for a portable sound to do rock gigs sound.

I know theres a lot of parameters to check before advising a sound system set up, but we just wanted to hear some suggestions on wood cabinet brands to start checking it out.

The problem i want to solve is that our Turbosound cabinets are quite old and we wanted to replacethem for some modern equipment.
If you are looking to stack them on your subs, you need to consider how to the the HF devices above the audience heads.

If you are stacking small boxes, consider that the highs and mids will mostly be to low to decent coverage.

With only 1 sub per side, the full range cabinet to keep up with it would not have to be real strong.

I would get a single source cabinet (not a stack of cheap small boxes) and put it on a speaker stand.

That way you can get it above the peoples heads and it will sound better, and be easier to deal with (less setup, less cables) and so forth.
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

Sam Higuera

« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2017, 04:44:36 PM »

Ivan thank you but i already considered all those parameters, cabs will be high enough. Thank you for the suggestions , but we are looking for those kind of cabinets.

Anyone have suggestions on brands and models?

I also wonder why this post was moved to installed sound or contracting, because it is not any of them, its not an installed sound equipment and we are not  contracting..

Don T. Williams

• Midas Pro 1 & 2, M32, dbTech T12, T8, S30, DM12
    • Q Systems Music & Sound
« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2017, 05:06:27 PM »

So you really don't care how it sounds, you only care how it looks.  Is that what you are really saying Sam?  Ivan and other forum members are trying to make certain that the system sounds good and works in your venue, but your focus is only about how it looks.

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2017, 05:14:19 PM »

Ivan thank you but i already considered all those parameters, cabs will be high enough. Thank you for the suggestions , but we are looking for those kind of cabinets.

Anyone have suggestions on brands and models?

How do you know they will be high enough?  You don't even know what model speaker you are looking at?

Maybe I am missing something???????????
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
Moving topics
« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2017, 06:08:04 PM »

I also wonder why this post was moved to installed sound or contracting, because it is not any of them, its not an installed sound equipment and we are not  contracting..

As far as I can tell looking at the logs, this topic has always been in this forum. Only 2 topics have been moved since January 19th, and neither of them were this one.

What forum did you mean to post in?

Mac

Sam Higuera

Sound system.
« Reply #15 on: January 24, 2017, 06:37:21 PM »

Hello folks, i been trying to state my question since the first post. I tried to answer all the questions you guys made.
I said many times that i already considered many things you were suggestion , and the only point i got to was that i want a "GOOD LOOKING" sound equipment...

Ivan i said i considered that point many times.Your one single source cabinet, i guess could be a suggestion like Martin H3 , which is almost 80 kg per cabinet. Im sure its a pretty good cabinet for rock concerts, but would take us to carry at least 6 of them every weekend, plus subs, to get at least 7.000/8.000watts output (im simplifying the answere, i wont get into sound preasure levels) which is quite heavy and also hard to lift over the people heads i guess...  other option you meant was to set a single source cabinet on a speaker stand, but i dont think anyone would do a 500 people gig with such an equipment... i guess it would take 5 minutes to blow out the speakers...

I´m pretty sure you guys are all right, but it wasnt the point i was trying to ask, so thank you everyone for all the suggestions but i stop trying to go with this issue farder...

Ill try to state my point clearer next time . Sorry about everyhting...

As far as I can tell looking at the logs, this topic has always been in this forum. Only 2 topics have been moved since January 19th, and neither of them were this one.

What forum did you mean to post in?

Mac

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
Re: Sound system.
« Reply #16 on: January 24, 2017, 07:48:22 PM »

Ivan i said i considered that point many times.Your one single source cabinet, i guess could be a suggestion like Martin H3 , which is almost 80 kg per cabinet. Im sure its a pretty good cabinet for rock concerts, but would take us to carry at least 6 of them every weekend, plus subs, to get at least 7.000/8.000watts output (im simplifying the answere, i wont get into sound preasure levels) which is quite heavy and also hard to lift over the people heads i guess...  other option you meant was to set a single source cabinet on a speaker stand, but i dont think anyone would do a 500 people gig with such an equipment... i guess it would take 5 minutes to blow out the speakers...

Am I the only one who is really confused by this?

With only 1 sub per side, it would not take a very strong top to keep up.

There are speakers you can put on a stick and do a 500 person rock show.  But you are going to need a good many more subs.

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

Benjamin Gingerich

• LifeSound AV
« Reply #17 on: January 24, 2017, 08:02:07 PM »

other option you meant was to set a single source cabinet on a speaker stand, but i dont think anyone would do a 500 people gig with such an equipment... i guess it would take 5 minutes to blow out the speakers...

Funny, I run 500-1000 on a weekly basis with speakers on sticks, no problems hitting 107db when I want to... I haven't blown a driver in years... They are only about 30kg too.

Am I the only one who is really confused by this?

With only 1 sub per side, it would not take a very strong top to keep up.

There are speakers you can put on a stick and do a 500 person rock show.  But you are going to need a good many more subs.
He wants a line array because they are "better".
Benjamin Gingerich
Project Manager - LifeSound Av - Macon, Georgia
Air Force Reserves- Electrical Power Production
AA Electrical & Mechanical Engineering

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #18 on: January 24, 2017, 08:18:02 PM »

Funny, I run 500-1000 on a weekly basis with speakers on sticks, no problems hitting 107db when I want to... I haven't blown a driver in years... They are only about 30kg too.
He wants a line array because they are "better".
He never said a line array-just an "array"

I asked several times to see what type of "array" he was asking about.

BTW 107dB what?  A or C? Fast or slow?

Without the particulars it is like saying that apples cost 49 money.

What kind of money? Dollars? Pecos? other?

Just being picky-because it matters

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

Benjamin Gingerich

• LifeSound AV
« Reply #19 on: January 24, 2017, 08:25:45 PM »

Just being picky-because it matters
I wouldn't have it any other way Ivan...  ;)
DBA
Benjamin Gingerich
Project Manager - LifeSound Av - Macon, Georgia
Air Force Reserves- Electrical Power Production
AA Electrical & Mechanical Engineering

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: January 24, 2017, 08:25:45 PM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.036 seconds with 25 queries.