Sound Reinforcement - Forums for Live Sound Professionals - Your Displayed Name Must Be Your Real Full Name To Post In The Live Sound Forums > LAB Lounge

Best way to mix band in-ear and house system

(1/6) > >>

Jerome Casinger:
Bottom line:  The rest of my band is ready to switch to in-ears to gain control of monitors after multiple venues with dead drivers, lack of monitors, etc etc.

We play a lot of shows with 2 or 3 bands on the bill.  A decent amount of the time we are the "headliner" and the stages are small so its full gear swaps (I use that term loosely but for local shows it is what it is). 

I am trying to run through my head if I could use my X32 rack and a splitter snake or something to easily tie into a house system.  I imagine for this to work well and ensure the same mix we would need to always bring our own mics etc?  I can see how we would tie our rig into the house existing snake.  My question is when it comes to multi band gigs though, I guess if they fit within our footprint it would be fine, but one band last night had 8 members and definitely would not fit in our footprint.

Curious thoughts on how or if I can make this work with minimal extra set up on our band (usually we are last on for the night so stage swaps have to be fast), but I also dont want a crazy headache for the FOH guy.  I run FOH probably 40ish times a year, but the only bands that have fed me a split have been the only band playing that night.

Wanted to get thoughts on this.  Venue gear ranges dramatically from analog with tons or outboard, to some digital guys etc etc.  Some are also running the x32 as well, I could let them mix on the IPAD but not everyone is comfortable with that and for a walk in band, I would rather be on the faders and knobs to grab and go faster, just my opinion.

Looking for thoughts from both sides of the fence here, bands doing it, FOH guys that have walk in ear rigs showing up frequently etc.

Thanks and sorry for the long read.

Scott Holtzman:

--- Quote from: Jerome Casinger on January 21, 2017, 04:57:21 PM ---
Looking for thoughts from both sides of the fence here, bands doing it, FOH guys that have walk in ear rigs showing up frequently etc.

Thanks and sorry for the long read.

--- End quote ---

Not on the fence here.  We staff for a chain of "stage" gastro pubs that book bands at 7 locations all year long.  Without a doubt the best acts are self contained.

Started seeing it a few years ago from a couple of bands out of Chicago, Hot Sauce Committee and the Personnel) then some East Coast were doing it. 

We use x32 in house so if you want I will take a digital patch from you.  Most hand off an analog split.

It maintains a level of consistency you can't get otherwise.

Jerome Casinger:

--- Quote from: Scott Holtzman on January 21, 2017, 05:10:07 PM ---
Not on the fence here.  We staff for a chain of "stage" gastro pubs that book bands at 7 locations all year long.  Without a doubt the best acts are self contained.

Started seeing it a few years ago from a couple of bands out of Chicago, Hot Sauce Committee and the Personnel) then some East Coast were doing it. 

We use x32 in house so if you want I will take a digital patch from you.  Most hand off an analog split.

It maintains a level of consistency you can't get otherwise.

--- End quote ---

Gotcha...my fence comment is more for opinions from the band side and the FOH side.  You have nights where you may have a few bands and one wants to be self contained?  If so how do you prefer it to be done for a quick set change?

Scott Holtzman:

--- Quote from: Jerome Casinger on January 21, 2017, 05:13:02 PM ---Gotcha...my fence comment is more for opinions from the band side and the FOH side.  You have nights where you may have a few bands and one wants to be self contained?  If so how do you prefer it to be done for a quick set change?

--- End quote ---

I don't have that issue at the clubs as they book 1 act a night. 

Self contained is great for multiple act gigs.  We will often use the main acts console for the other acts.  When I advance the gig I will find out what we have to work with and spec an extra 16 or 32 input stage box and soft patch it in then patch back to the headliners rig when we are done.

John Chiara:

--- Quote from: Scott Holtzman on January 21, 2017, 05:15:42 PM ---
I don't have that issue at the clubs as they book 1 act a night. 

Self contained is great for multiple act gigs.  We will often use the main acts console for the other acts.  When I advance the gig I will find out what we have to work with and spec an extra 16 or 32 input stage box and soft patch it in then patch back to the headliners rig when we are done.

--- End quote ---

Hardware split and use it all the time. Never an issue, easy patches between sets...cheap.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version