ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13]   Go Down

Author Topic: Cheap durable mic stands  (Read 105684 times)

Corey Scogin

• Birmingham, AL, US
Re: Cheap durable mic stands
« Reply #120 on: August 02, 2022, 12:24:35 PM »

I own a large inventory of k&m 210/9 and they are all failing at the crimp where the threaded insert is installed. When I brought this issue to light to K&M they pointed me to a parts book and distributor where I could buy replacements that were back ordered and not available, and will probably fail the same way. Never again

I had this issue on a few stands purchased ~2018 I think. The crimp machine missed the slot on the insert leading to a weak connection. I haven't purchased more stands since. Is this still an issue with newer K&M 210/9s?

Nick Andrews

« Reply #121 on: August 02, 2022, 04:09:23 PM »

I had this issue on a few stands purchased ~2018 I think. The crimp machine missed the slot on the insert leading to a weak connection. I haven't purchased more stands since. Is this still an issue with newer K&M 210/9s?

Yes exactly! I've had to epoxy , and attempt to recrimp on approx 40 stands. Not fun !,  and yes 210/9 stands

This also has caused the threads to strip as well inside the boom arm receptacle. What happens is , because the threaded insert is loose due to the poor crimp , you can't always tell if the boom arm is tightened all the way, then when you transport them the threads take a hit and bam , stripped. Sometimes you can fix it by removing the black circle collar on the thread which makes it go deeper inside the receptacle.... not always though.

Like I said never again, issue is , what is better ? Gotta be something,  and hopefully whatever company  it is has better customer service than k&m , very disappointing.

Nick
« Last Edit: August 02, 2022, 04:15:17 PM by Nick Andrews »

Rob Spence

• Boston Metro North/West
    • Lynx Audio Services
« Reply #122 on: August 06, 2022, 10:24:13 PM »

I have a few K&M. Like them. My workhouse stands are D&R. So far so good. The lesser stands get used on festivals where I need em all.
rob at lynxaudioservices dot com

Dealer for: AKG, Allen & Heath, Ashley, Astatic, Audix, Blue Microphones, CAD, Chauvet, Community, Countryman, Crown, DBX, Electro-Voice, FBT, Furman, Heil, Horizon, Intellistage, JBL, Lab Gruppen, Mid Atlantic, On Stage Stands, Pelican, Peterson Tuners, Presonus, ProCo, QSC, Radial, RCF, Sennheiser, Shure, SKB, Soundcraft, TC Electronics, Telex, Whirlwind and others

Thomas Le

« Reply #123 on: August 10, 2022, 03:37:26 PM »

Today I learned that Atlas makes tripod stands, specifically the AtlasIED TB3664. Its heavy but looks like it can take a beating like the on stage MS9701B+. Only caveat other than it being heavy and expensive is that they use plastic knobs for the teleboom lol.

frank kayser

• Maryland suburbs of Washington DC
« Reply #124 on: August 15, 2022, 04:07:52 PM »

The crimps are a marginal way to attach.  With mine, I drill 1/8" hole through the tubing and through the "plug".  Tap an expansion pin in, grind flat.  Never a worry ever again.  Tight, non rattle. Plug is soft and quite easily drilled.  About 5 min/stand effort.  Reversible, if needed.

Brook Hovland

• DiA Events
« Reply #125 on: November 24, 2022, 02:46:33 PM »

In 2020, I needed to add 25 boom tripods to our rental inventory. K&M was out of stock in the US.
I ordered "the Best" stands that On Stage had.  MS9701TB+ HVY DUTY TRIPOD .
The stands have pleasantly surprised me, they are very heavy and the hardware has held up pretty well.
K&M is the way to go if available but when not available or cost too much for the budget, I would go for the On Stage stands again. Just don't get the cheap ones.

Thomas Le

« Reply #126 on: November 24, 2022, 03:38:06 PM »

In 2020, I needed to add 25 boom tripods to our rental inventory. K&M was out of stock in the US.
I ordered "the Best" stands that On Stage had.  MS9701TB+ HVY DUTY TRIPOD .
The stands have pleasantly surprised me, they are very heavy and the hardware has held up pretty well.
K&M is the way to go if available but when not available or cost too much for the budget, I would go for the On Stage stands again. Just don't get the cheap ones.
The all metal on stage stands are pretty decent but the bottom tripod part will eventually give out, the bottom lug will come undone which leaves the bottom part shaft freely movable/spin-able. All 4 that I bought have this issue, but the boom arm part is still holding up.

Bryant Chaffin

« Reply #127 on: May 19, 2023, 11:12:48 AM »

I purchased some Gravity https://www.gravitystands.com/en/ brand stands, both boom and straight, direct from Thomann Music after reading some reviews and doing a little research earlier this year.   I think Gravity is part of the Adam Hall group, and they are starting to show up in some US distributors now (Musician's Friend, B&H Photo, among others), but the price I got them from Thomann was significantly better than anything I have seen.  Long term durability is yet to be seen, but the build quality and features seem to be great for the price and far better than my other inexpensive stands.   At about 1/2 the price of K&M at the time I purchased, I figured it was worth the risk.   So far, so good.  Anyone else tried them yet?   

The bright green O-rings are sortof their thing, but they came with black O-rings to replace them and I did, as marking them for quick identification isn't something we really need and I prefer them more understated in appearance. 

Brook Hovland

• DiA Events
« Reply #128 on: May 22, 2023, 09:47:43 AM »

I purchased some Gravity https://www.gravitystands.com/en/ brand stands, both boom and straight, direct from Thomann Music after reading some reviews and doing a little research earlier this year.   I think Gravity is part of the Adam Hall group, and they are starting to show up in some US distributors now (Musician's Friend, B&H Photo, among others), but the price I got them from Thomann was significantly better than anything I have seen.  Long term durability is yet to be seen, but the build quality and features seem to be great for the price and far better than my other inexpensive stands.   At about 1/2 the price of K&M at the time I purchased, I figured it was worth the risk.   So far, so good.  Anyone else tried them yet?   

The bright green O-rings are sortof their thing, but they came with black O-rings to replace them and I did, as marking them for quick identification isn't something we really need and I prefer them more understated in appearance.

I tried Gravity stands out on a recommendation from our rep. Pretty good quality for the money but I got tired of looking at the stage and seeing all the boom arms drifting down. I needed the exercise but...

Bryant Chaffin

« Reply #129 on: May 22, 2023, 12:18:31 PM »

I tried Gravity stands out on a recommendation from our rep. Pretty good quality for the money but I got tired of looking at the stage and seeing all the boom arms drifting down. I needed the exercise but...
Hate to hear that.   We haven't had any issues yet running e935's with the arms drifting.   

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #129 on: May 22, 2023, 12:18:31 PM »

Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.028 seconds with 19 queries.