ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Need help looking for the right moving head.  (Read 7886 times)

Bob Joseph-Kearns

Need help looking for the right moving head.
« on: January 18, 2017, 01:21:31 PM »

I don't know much about movers but i'd like to upgrade my lighting setup. Not looking to spend more than $300 per fixture. I see cheap ones on Ebay from China but i'm not too sure to trust them...I am looking for at least 6.I can answer questions.Any info will help. Thanks in advance

Steve Garris

Re: Need help looking for the right moving head.
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2017, 02:03:31 PM »

I don't know much about movers but i'd like to upgrade my lighting setup. Not looking to spend more than $300 per fixture. I see cheap ones on Ebay from China but i'm not too sure to trust them...I am looking for at least 6.I can answer questions.Any info will help. Thanks in advance

You could start with a pair of these. They get great reviews, have good auto-run programs and would set up quickly. This is a really good price but I'll bet you can get a dealer price from members on this forum:

http://www.hifisoundconnection.com/Chauvet-Intimidator-Spot-Duo-Dual-Moving-Head-Spot-RGB-Color-LED-Light-Stand-CHV13-INTIMSPOTDUO-RS-PACK?utm_source=google&utm_medium=base&utm_campaign=GoogleBaseFeed&gclid=CKLr4eXChtACFYWJfgodX_oACA

Jeff Lelko

• Cape Canaveral, FL
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2017, 03:13:39 PM »

Hi Bob,

What kind of venue are you trying to light and what's the purpose of your upgrade (client demand, personal preference, etc.)?  Unfortunately given your current budget, you'll be stuck with mostly the 10 or 12w LED models, which in my opinion will struggle to cut through any reasonable ambient stage light.  They're okay in a very dark room with plenty of fog/haze, though I think you'll find that more useful fixtures start in the 60-90w range and are priced accordingly.  Just as a frame of reference, my Maglite will outshine one of the 10w moving heads, and that's before you drop any colors into the mover... 

Does your upgrade have to be a mover, and what (if any) controller do you currently use?  For the same budget as 6 entry-level movers you can get a bunch of LED Pars, and paired with the right controller and tasteful programming will carry far more impact than a couple of cheap moving heads.  Just my thoughts though! 

Mark Cadwallader

• Helena, Montana USA
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2017, 03:30:07 PM »

What do you have in your current lighting rig?  Are you looking to replace some of your fixtures, or to add to your existing rig?  How long do you expect to have these movers as part of your rig?  (I.e., are these movers just a temporary step in your long range plan, or do you plan on making the movers the main focal point of your rig?)
"Good tools are expensive, but cheap tools are damned expensive."

Bob Joseph-Kearns

« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2017, 05:13:54 PM »

Hi Bob,

What kind of venue are you trying to light and what's the purpose of your upgrade (client demand, personal preference, etc.)?  Unfortunately given your current budget, you'll be stuck with mostly the 10 or 12w LED models, which in my opinion will struggle to cut through any reasonable ambient stage light.  They're okay in a very dark room with plenty of fog/haze, though I think you'll find that more useful fixtures start in the 60-90w range and are priced accordingly.  Just as a frame of reference, my Maglite will outshine one of the 10w moving heads, and that's before you drop any colors into the mover... 

Does your upgrade have to be a mover, and what (if any) controller do you currently use?  For the same budget as 6 entry-level movers you can get a bunch of LED Pars, and paired with the right controller and tasteful programming will carry far more impact than a couple of cheap moving heads.  Just my thoughts though!

I'm lighting a church used to host metal concerts. The upgrade doesn't have to be movers but the lights I have now are just plain boring. I have a 6 of these on a truss.

They're just on the upper stage behind the band shining down doing absolutely nothing.
I'd like to get the crowd into the show more cause our attendance numbers have been dropping. I have considered LED Pars but I have the same situation with the movers. I dont know anything about them.The controller i'm currently using im not sure the brand but its says Scene Setter-48. Thanks for your reply!

Bob Joseph-Kearns

« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2017, 05:17:51 PM »

What do you have in your current lighting rig?  Are you looking to replace some of your fixtures, or to add to your existing rig?  How long do you expect to have these movers as part of your rig?  (I.e., are these movers just a temporary step in your long range plan, or do you plan on making the movers the main focal point of your rig?)

I am currently using Par cans like this

I am looking to completely replace these for movers/LED Parcans. I plan on making the movers/Led Pars the main focal point. Thanks for your reply!

Mark Cadwallader

• Helena, Montana USA
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2017, 05:43:14 PM »

With RGBA or RGBW LED non-moving fixtures you can wash all or part of the stage/performance area with a broad range of colors to create a mood. You could program multi-color chases as well.  You are no longer limited to one color per fixture. That in and of itself is a pretty big improvement over what you currently have.
"Good tools are expensive, but cheap tools are damned expensive."

Jeff Lelko

• Cape Canaveral, FL
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2017, 05:55:27 PM »

I'm lighting a church used to host metal concerts.

Metal concerts in a church???  To each their own!

So yes, assuming those are Par 46s I'd opt for something much more powerful in a moving head.  The little 10w moving heads are okay in a small dark bar, but they'd be next to useless in a venue such as what you're describing (assuming a roughly 500-1000 person capacity).  Thanks for the details, and I stand by what I said in my first post - go for your LED upgrade first.  That alone will work wonders for you and give you very reasonable results for well within your presumed $1800 budget.  Along the lines of moving heads...figure $800-1200 a piece when the time comes for something that will really carry weight.  Also just to throw it out there - moving heads are not maintenance-free lights.  The DJ grade ones are more or less disposable (i.e. throw away when it breaks), but the larger ones will need occasional service.  I just say this seeing as you mention you know little about these.  LED Pars on the other hand are essentially maintenance free.  While you might occasionally have to pop one open or change out a component, the amount of service and experience needed is quite minimal.  As an aside, I just got a box from Lightparts.com, which means my Friday morning will be spent swapping a couple of spent shutter motors in some larger movers.  While not an everyday thing, moving lights mean moving parts, and they will need attention from time to time. 

Either way, you're going to need a new controller too.  Read through some of the applicable threads on this forum for no shortage of advice, though the usual debate is hardware versus software.  Barring one or two exceptions such as the Elation ShowDesigner and ETC ColorSource options, you're not going to find a serious hardware console without dropping several thousand dollars on one.  Unless you plan to do that, software is the way to go, and most options allow you to add "wings" that give you the tactile feedback so many people need (myself included).  Assuming you have a laptop available, it's quite possible to get a MagicQ PC or M-PC rig up and running, plus a dozen or so decent LED Pars for under 2k.  Much better use of money in my opinion, though I'm sure other opinions will follow.  Hope this helps!

Gaussian

« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2017, 09:55:45 AM »

Metal concerts in a church???  To each their own!

Plenty of Christian Metal bands... for instance: Stryper

:)

Jeff Lelko

• Cape Canaveral, FL
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2017, 10:49:00 AM »

Plenty of Christian Metal bands... for instance: Stryper

Per the forum rules, your display name needs to be your real first and last name.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2017, 10:49:00 AM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.04 seconds with 25 queries.