ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Need help looking for the right moving head.  (Read 5449 times)

Rob Gow

Re: Need help looking for the right moving head.
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2017, 09:52:27 am »

Metal concerts in a church???  To each their own!

Plenty of Christian Metal bands... for instance: Stryper

:)

And Mortification

Steve Litscher

• MixMasters Podcast
« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2017, 02:56:10 am »

I don't know much about movers but i'd like to upgrade my lighting setup. Not looking to spend more than $300 per fixture. I see cheap ones on Ebay from China but i'm not too sure to trust them...I am looking for at least 6.I can answer questions.Any info will help. Thanks in advance

Hi Bob,

Looks like you have a budget of around $1800 or so, all-in (assuming 6 heads at $300ea). There have been some good suggestions here... what I might suggest is similar to what we did when we made the jump into the lighting world.

I wasn't sold on the idea of offering lighting as part of our services, so rather than buy a few dozen Hotbox 5 PARs and 4-6 movers, we did this:

- Enttec DMX USB Pro Mk2 controller ($215-ish)
- QLC+ software (free)
- 4 Monoprice lighting tri-pods ($30ea)
- 12 eBay LED 7x10 PAR lights ($40ea)
- 2 ADJ Stinger-II Moonflower effects ($200ea)
- 2 ADJ Megbar ($160ea)

That got us lighting, all-in for just a bit lower than your budget. It worked "well enough" for half-a-dozen shows or so. After those first few shows, we ordered an Antari F-350 Fazer ($300).

(note: all of these prices are near "street" pricing; there are folks on the board who can get you better pricing offline)

We got the hang of things and then added some more eBay LED PARs (another 12).

The above might be a lower cost, higher "wow" factor for you and should provide better coverage and more options for your stage area. With some creative placement and a little time spent programming some cool chases, I think you'll be surprised with the results.

We have started to replace our eBay LED PARs with Hotbox (and similar), so earlier today, we ordered a bunch of Blizzard Hotbox 5 RGBA lights for front wash and several of the Blizzard RGBW Blade movers. We only did this because I'd like to take advantage of the smoother, more precise dimming control that the Hotboxes offer over the eBay lights, and because the Hotboxes should better endure the tortures of being on the road every single weekend.

There were a bunch of guys on the board here that helped guide me through my initial purchases and also assisted with my questions around set-up/config/programming. I've run sound for nearly 30-years and am a huge fan of digital desks/mixing/workflow, but DMX gave me a bit of a challenge. Thanks to everyone on here, along with a few YouTube videos and a lot of time reading manuals and experimenting, we've got a pretty decent, low-ish cost lighting rig.

Hope this helps a bit.

Steve Garris

« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2017, 04:10:30 pm »

Hi Bob,

Looks like you have a budget of around $1800 or so, all-in (assuming 6 heads at $300ea). There have been some good suggestions here... what I might suggest is similar to what we did when we made the jump into the lighting world.

I wasn't sold on the idea of offering lighting as part of our services, so rather than buy a few dozen Hotbox 5 PARs and 4-6 movers, we did this:

- Enttec DMX USB Pro Mk2 controller ($215-ish)
- QLC+ software (free)
- 4 Monoprice lighting tri-pods ($30ea)
- 12 eBay LED 7x10 PAR lights ($40ea)
- 2 ADJ Stinger-II Moonflower effects ($200ea)
- 2 ADJ Megbar ($160ea)

That got us lighting, all-in for just a bit lower than your budget. It worked "well enough" for half-a-dozen shows or so. After those first few shows, we ordered an Antari F-350 Fazer ($300).

(note: all of these prices are near "street" pricing; there are folks on the board who can get you better pricing offline)

We got the hang of things and then added some more eBay LED PARs (another 12).

The above might be a lower cost, higher "wow" factor for you and should provide better coverage and more options for your stage area. With some creative placement and a little time spent programming some cool chases, I think you'll be surprised with the results.

We have started to replace our eBay LED PARs with Hotbox (and similar), so earlier today, we ordered a bunch of Blizzard Hotbox 5 RGBA lights for front wash and several of the Blizzard RGBW Blade movers. We only did this because I'd like to take advantage of the smoother, more precise dimming control that the Hotboxes offer over the eBay lights, and because the Hotboxes should better endure the tortures of being on the road every single weekend.

There were a bunch of guys on the board here that helped guide me through my initial purchases and also assisted with my questions around set-up/config/programming. I've run sound for nearly 30-years and am a huge fan of digital desks/mixing/workflow, but DMX gave me a bit of a challenge. Thanks to everyone on here, along with a few YouTube videos and a lot of time reading manuals and experimenting, we've got a pretty decent, low-ish cost lighting rig.

Hope this helps a bit.

This is very similar to my small, portable light system. The Chinese $40 pars are great. I also have (2) Hotbox 5's which are really nice, and the Megabar which provides some nice movement. I recently bought these cheap $60 movers, which have (7) 15 W RBGW. I don't have a lot of control over them, so I've programed them to run on either one of their self-programed modes or sound activation, via my dmx contoller. I'm pretty impressed for $60 or so.
https://goo.gl/yhHgrI

Don't buy cheap stands - you'll be sorry. These ADJ stands have been my favorite, with good clamping action and get very tall. I use them without the support bars, so the T-bar just comes off and goes into a keyboard bag.
http://www.pssl.com/American-DJ-12-Ft-Heavy-Duty-Light-Stand-w-X-Bar

My front spots are speaker mounted Par 56 (bulbs). This light show goes up in minutes:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qCq3fOq4XcA

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2017, 04:10:30 pm »

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.03 seconds with 22 queries.