ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: DBX GO RACK  (Read 3411 times)

Dean Swift

DBX GO RACK
« on: January 11, 2017, 09:48:11 AM »

DBX GO RACK..I just purchased this unit..But I am not sure if I can really use it..I have a powered mixer Samson TMX-20...I thought or think I could set up the whole system Live Band..And then use this for the fine tuning...So I guess the question is....Would I connect it to the main out lines on the board and then connect it to a line in or return? Or just send it back......Thanks... I am old school....For real--62 yrs old..

Nathan Riddle

• Niceville, FL
    • Nailed Productions
Re: DBX GO RACK
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2017, 10:01:45 AM »

Hi Dean,

Welcome to the forums!

I have one, I tried to use it as a limiter for some hallway speakers fed off of the main speakers. It had infinite makeup gain and thus wasn't usable for my purposes.

The only slightly useful thing might be the feedback eliminator?? But many people feel it changes the EQ too drastically to be an effective or useful feature.

It has a ton of neat gimmics, but none of them really do anything useful IMO.
I'm just a guy trying to do the next right thing.

This business is for people with too much energy for desk jobs and too much brain for labor jobs. - Scott Helmke

Chrysander 'C.R.' Young

• North Central FL
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2017, 01:18:39 PM »

I bought one on a lark when a certain company was blowing them out for $24.99.  I have yet to find $24.99 in usefulness with this device.  Does a fair job as an acoustical alignment block under my PRX cabs.

Thomas Le

« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2017, 02:41:57 PM »

IMO I'd send it back. dbx knew this thing wasn't selling hence the low price. What's wrong with your current setup?

lindsay Dean

• Classic LAB
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2017, 02:45:18 PM »

vote 2 return it
you already have some eq on your mixer
the unit is useless
"A mans got to know his limitations"
     and Pray for higher guidance

David Allred

« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2017, 03:50:38 PM »

It could have been really neat.  Not enough forethought.

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2017, 04:18:02 PM »

DBX GO RACK..I just purchased this unit..But I am not sure if I can really use it..I have a powered mixer Samson TMX-20...I thought or think I could set up the whole system Live Band..And then use this for the fine tuning...So I guess the question is....Would I connect it to the main out lines on the board and then connect it to a line in or return? Or just send it back......Thanks... I am old school....For real--62 yrs old..

Hi Dean-

What were you wanting/expecting to do with the GoRack?  I just took a look at the manual and don't find any feature that is 'must have' for what I anticipate is your band's use.  Perhaps the feedback reduction thing, but the rest of it?  The EQ is limited to selection of presets (no editing or modifying) and you probably don't need a compressor on your PA mains. I can almost guarantee you'll eventually hate yourself for using the subharmonic synth...

I'll add my vote to those suggesting you return it if you can.

In the mean time this thread will probably get moved to the LAB Lounge.  Come back and tell us what you're trying to accomplish and we'll try to help out.  Many times the most effective solution does not come with a power cord or blinking lights...
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Kevin Rudolph

« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2017, 04:28:50 PM »

You would need to get yourself a set of insert cables and use the "main insert" jacks. Prob some 1/4" to xlr adapters.  That should take care of both the send and receive.

I'm using the goracks successfully at the day job doing hotel AV. We use them to tame house sound systems in rooms with low ceilings. Do they sound great?  Not really. Tend to introduce noise into the signal chain.  The fidelity penalty is negligible through a pseudo crappy 70v system.  For our purposes, having an antifeedback device at that price point that takes very little training for someone without an audio background to use makes it very practical. That being said, my supervisor has yet to successfully deploy one. Another coworker deploys one for every event because the space he works in has 10' ceilings - on a 12" stage, they are always dancing the threshold of feedback with even a single lav. Works well for him.

I could see it being useful for wedding djs that have no idea how to keep their microphones from feeding back, or could maybe use the blanket general eq curves. I've used the compressor a few times and it worked out ok with screamers.

If you are having feedback problems, give it a try. The EQ only does broad generic curves, so I don't think it would be as useful to you as a decent graphic eq (or a drive rack PA2). Other tools do a much better job.

Weogo Reed

• Western NC,
    • LiveEdge
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2017, 02:46:20 PM »

Hi Folks,

I have found this a useful tool for conference audio.
Wireless mic in one side, two-track-to-one combiner on other side, to mono out.
Just enough functionality to be helpful with minimally trained operators.
Try the different EQ presets and you might find one that works for you.

Thanks and good health,  Weogo

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2017, 02:46:20 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.022 seconds with 25 queries.