ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Lightning to Headphone Jack  (Read 11411 times)

TomBoisseau

Re: Lightning to Headphone Jack
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2017, 10:26:29 PM »

My wife bought me the Swtichcraft 318BT Bluetooth adapter for Christmas.  A bit pricey, but VERY nicely designed!

http://www.switchcraft.com/Product.aspx?ID=8698

And here is a very economical alternative.  I've used it as well.  Does a great job.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/371610639126?_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

« Last Edit: January 16, 2017, 10:29:09 PM by TomBoisseau »

Dan Richardson

• southern Vermont
    • NotTooLoud
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2017, 01:42:58 PM »

I drilled out mine so it would fit without having to take out the case.  This works better.

I'll recommend that to the next guy who walks up to me at a show and says "My track is on this phone."
The best sound system is no sound system. Everything else is compromise.

David Sturzenbecher

• So. Dak.
    • Sturz Audio
« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2017, 02:42:13 PM »

My wife bought me the Swtichcraft 318BT Bluetooth adapter for Christmas.  A bit pricey, but VERY nicely designed!

Rapco announced a very similar product for NAMM that sports a Bluetooth 4.2 spec over the switchcrafts 4.0 spec.  Not sure what real world difference that will make.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Audio Systems Design Engineer
Daktronics, Inc.
CTS-D, CTS-I
AES Full Member

Scott Levine

« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2017, 10:23:35 PM »

I'll recommend that to the next guy who walks up to me at a show and says "My track is on this phone."
We always have a drill in the toolbox.  Good for such emergencies.
Regards,

"Not so Mean" Scott Levine
Strike Sound & Lighting

"There is nothing that can't be repaired or improved through the judicious use of gaffe tape."

Craig Hauber

• Mondak Sound Design - Plentywood MT/Grenora ND
« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2017, 12:25:52 AM »

I've been experimenting with various Bluetooth receivers to use in this situation, and I'll write a review when I have time. Whatever shortcomings Bluetooth has, it has the advantage of no scary noises when a bad jack, plug, cable, etc. is between the mobile device and a large sound system. Also, it eliminates the problem of a helpful person unplugging their device before the input has been muted. --Frank
But how reliable is it?
I fight daily with my Mac Mini and a Bose speaker at my daily workstation trying to keep it connected and running for background music all day and would not want something that inconsistent on a show!
Craig Hauber
Mondak Sound Design
-Live PA
-Installs
-Theatre

Keith Broughton

• Toronto
« Reply #15 on: January 22, 2017, 08:39:24 AM »

I get this with the North American pro skaters I work with.
Not so in Japan. CDs!
Anyway, just another adapter or device I have to provide so people can use their phones for music.PITA! >:(
I don't care enough to be apathetic

Frank Koenig

• Palo Alto, CA USA
« Reply #16 on: January 22, 2017, 12:21:04 PM »

But how reliable is it?

Good question, and I suppose time will tell. Mobile devices aren't really suited to mission critical playback in the first place, so the question is whether Bluetooth is more or less reliable, and generally problematic, than using a 3.5 mm cord in those less critical situations. (This whole discussion is really Lounge-level.)

I'm looking at Bluetooth as I do some informal events where "audience participation" in providing tracks can be part of the fun, but I still want it to come off as seamlessly as possible.

Having said all that, for several years I've been using at home a couple of small, cheap "BT1-A" boards that I got from Parts Express and they work really well. They have a range of 20 ft. or so, even through a Sheetrock wall or wood floor. I have not yet used Bluetooth at an actual gig but that time will come. My guess is that if I keep the radio path < 10 ft. and line-of-sight it will be pretty solid.

Best,

--Frank
"Nature abhors a vacuum tube." -- John Pierce, Bell Labs

Keith Broughton

• Toronto
« Reply #17 on: January 22, 2017, 01:00:38 PM »

I am VERY reluctant to use Bluetooth for any "mission critical" playback.
Don't want phones or any similar device for anything other than background music.
Anything to do with the show itself?
No way.
I don't care enough to be apathetic

Scott Levine

« Reply #18 on: January 22, 2017, 09:20:19 PM »

I am VERY reluctant to use Bluetooth for any "mission critical" playback.
Don't want phones or any similar device for anything other than background music.
Anything to do with the show itself?
No way.
I would have to assume that there would be issues with pairing the device as well.  A royal pain in the ass to be honest to have to do that on the fly.  THIS is more reliable and easier to do on the fly and there should be no issues with the pairing getting dropped which is always a possibility.
Regards,

"Not so Mean" Scott Levine
Strike Sound & Lighting

"There is nothing that can't be repaired or improved through the judicious use of gaffe tape."

TomBoisseau

« Reply #19 on: January 22, 2017, 10:03:57 PM »

But how reliable is it?
I fight daily with my Mac Mini and a Bose speaker at my daily workstation trying to keep it connected and running for background music all day and would not want something that inconsistent on a show!

I have not had a chance to thoroughly test the Switchcraft device but the ebay unit from of Hong Kong I have used for a few years now and it has been very reliable.

Tom

http://www.ebay.com/itm/371610639126?_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: January 22, 2017, 10:03:57 PM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.035 seconds with 24 queries.