ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Load monitoring margin of error  (Read 1187 times)

Adam Ellsworth

• AirFader
Load monitoring margin of error
« on: January 14, 2017, 07:37:58 PM »

I've been going through a bunch of JBL Vertec 4887s one at a time using the same Itech IT4000 amp for all. According to the continuous load monitoring, almost every speaker has been pretty much dead-on 8 Ohms both the Low Freq and Mid/High channels.

...except one which shows 12 ohms on the Low Freq side. The 87's have two 8" LF drivers, 16 ohms each. They both sound fine. How do I get 12 ohms? Is that within margin of error? Should I open it up and make sure terminals are tight? Or do I have a slightly bad driver?

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
Re: Load monitoring margin of error
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2017, 08:09:14 PM »

I've been going through a bunch of JBL Vertec 4887s one at a time using the same Itech IT4000 amp for all. According to the continuous load monitoring, almost every speaker has been pretty much dead-on 8 Ohms both the Low Freq and Mid/High channels.

...except one which shows 12 ohms on the Low Freq side. The 87's have two 8" LF drivers, 16 ohms each. They both sound fine. How do I get 12 ohms? Is that within margin of error? Should I open it up and make sure terminals are tight? Or do I have a slightly bad driver?
I would guess 1 bad driver-or a bad connection.  The other driver might be on the way out or have a dirty connection.

The connections "might" be related.

If you have a bad driver you need to open it up-so I would do it anyway.

REMEMBER that the DC resistance will be around 12 ohms for a 16 ohm driver.

The amp is most likely looking at the impedance-NOT the resistance.

So keep that in mind when using an ohm meter to "look around".
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

ProSoundWeb Community

Re: Load monitoring margin of error
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2017, 08:09:14 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.024 seconds with 18 queries.