ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Passive speakers set up. Merged  (Read 10400 times)

Charlie McKellips

Passive speakers set up. Merged
« on: January 14, 2017, 01:11:12 PM »

I'm contemplating switching to passive speakers so I don't have to run as much extension cord. I've been running powered speakers for the last 5 years, at outdoor venues with 300 to 3000 people.

I'm thinking about going to a passive set up, I'd like to run 6 to 8 speakers, 15" and the ones I'm looking at ate 400 rms, so my question is how many and how big of amps do I need for that? And how does a person hook them up? Thanks,

Charlie.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

« Last Edit: January 14, 2017, 04:58:52 PM by Mac Kerr »

Will Knight

• Queens, NY
Re: Passive speakers set up.
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2017, 01:18:28 PM »

I'm contemplating switching to passive speakers so I don't have to run as much extension cord. I've been running powered speakers for the last 5 years, at outdoor venues with 300 to 3000 people.

I'm thinking about going to a passive set up, I'd like to run 6 to 8 speakers, 15" and the ones I'm looking at ate 400 rms, so my question is how many and how big of amps do I need for that? And how does a person hook them up? Thanks,

Charlie.

Charlie,
Welcome to the PSW Forum but before you can get any assistance, you will need to change your Display Name to your Real Name as described in the rules when you initially registered.  And do it quickly or your post will be locked by the Mods
Strive not to be a success, but rather to be of value — Albert Einstein.

Charlie McKellips

« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2017, 01:32:08 PM »

Ok, I'm new to these forums, I'll try to figure out how to change it.

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2017, 03:27:41 PM »

Charlie.

When you say "6-8 15" speakers" are you talking about subs or full range cabinets"

If you are thinking of full range cabinets, you will most likely have lots of interference going on.

You are MUCH better off getting LESS speakers that have a greater capability.

1 per side would be ideal.

Subs are a slightly different story-but could follow the same "rules".

It would help A LOT to know what particular models you are looking at-what types of shows you do etc.

But a "simple answer" is to use an amp that is rated for 400-800 watts into the impedance of the particular speaker load you are looking at.

DETAILS MATTER, especially when you want to get usable accurate answers.
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

Charlie McKellips

Thinking about going to passive speakers
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2017, 04:10:40 PM »

I'm thinking about going to passive speakers from powered. But I know nothing about buying amps or hooking them up. The speakers I'm looking at are 400 watts continous at 8 ohms.  I'd like to possibly run 8 of them considering I do mostly outdoor venues.

So how many Amps, what size and how would I hook them up? I'm just trying to  figure up how much it would cost me to switch over.

Thanks,
Charlie

Keith Broughton

• Toronto
Re: Thinking about going to passive speakers
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2017, 04:17:45 PM »

I'm thinking about going to passive speakers from powered. But I know nothing about buying amps or hooking them up. The speakers I'm looking at are 400 watts continous at 8 ohms.  I'd like to possibly run 8 of them considering I do mostly outdoor venues.

So how many Amps, what size and how would I hook them up? I'm just trying to  figure up how much it would cost me to switch over.

Thanks,
Charlie

Why are you making the change?
I don't care enough to be apathetic

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2017, 04:19:58 PM »

Thanks,
Charlie

Not trying to be a dick by how can you be qualified to provide for a show and not know how to connect and amplifier to a signal source and a speaker?  It has an out and an in, that's it.  I can understand needing help with how to calculate the load of multiple boxes but even that should be well within the parlance of any qualified operator.

Also the comments about multiple speakers are spot on.  Unless you are covering a very wide space and will be placing the driver across rows or bleachers or some similar challenge then you can spread them out to increase the width of coverage.  When two speakers provide sound for the same space they interfere with each other and the interference cancels any potential gain in output.

Arrayable speakers are a big step up.

Also why did you start a second thread?

Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Charlie McKellips

« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2017, 04:29:39 PM »

When you say "6-8 15" speakers" are you talking about subs or full range cabinets"

If you are thinking of full range cabinets, you will most likely have lots of interference going on.

You are MUCH better off getting LESS speakers that have a greater capability.

1 per side would be ideal.

Subs are a slightly different story-but could follow the same "rules".

It would help A LOT to know what particular models you are looking at-what types of shows you do etc.

But a "simple answer" is to use an amp that is rated for 400-800 watts into the impedance of the particular speaker load you are looking at.

DETAILS MATTER, especially when you want to get usable accurate answers.
I'm talking about full cabinets, I'm looking into the EV Elx115 passive speakers.

I have to provide sound for a lot of outdoor rodeo/bull riding events, so pretty big areas that usually don't have favorable set ups for sound.

Charlie McKellips

« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2017, 04:37:41 PM »

Not trying to be a dick by how can you be qualified to provide for a show and not know how to connect and amplifier to a signal source and a speaker?  It has an out and an in, that's it.  I can understand needing help with how to calculate the load of multiple boxes but even that should be well within the parlance of any qualified operator.

Also the comments about multiple speakers are spot on.  Unless you are covering a very wide space and will be placing the driver across rows or bleachers or some similar challenge then you can spread them out to increase the width of coverage.  When two speakers provide sound for the same space they interfere with each other and the interference cancels any potential gain in output.

Arrayable speakers are a big step up.

Also why did you start a second thread?
I thought the first one got deleted because I didn't have my name right on it first. I never had anyone teach me anything about using non-powered speakers.  So I know nothing other than hooking up my powered speakers.  I announce and provide sound for rodeo,equestrian, and bull riding events that are outdoors.

I didn't know if it would be easier to go to unpowered since I tend to have trouble getting power to my speakers at times and have to run lots of extension cords.

Sorry I'm kinda ignorant. I been running 6  EV elx115p for the past few years and thinking about going to the passive version of them.

Charlie McKellips

« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2017, 04:47:23 PM »

Why are you making the change?
I have a hard time getting power to my speakers a lot of times and didn't know if I could get better quality out of passive speakers.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2017, 04:47:23 PM »

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.041 seconds with 24 queries.