ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Down

Author Topic: DMX basicis for a dense soul - thread  (Read 19589 times)

Jeff Lelko

• Cape Canaveral, FL
Re: DMX basicis for a dense soul - thread
« Reply #40 on: January 14, 2017, 10:27:07 AM »

Did one last test and yes, the first position 36 and third position 36 watters did not work, but the 24watters in 2nd and 4th position (daisy chain wise) did work.

I'll try measuring the voltage later this weekend when I have some time just to see if there's something funky with this board. But, I got it from a guy who'd bought it for his church but the person in charge of sound and light at the church felt it wasn't big enough for their use, which is why - according to the guy I bought it from - they were selling it after using it 3 times. So hypothetically it should be in proper shape. It did come with the original box, but no instructions.

Btw - I did find and use a properly configured 12 volt adapter and no change in behaviours. I would agree with your assessment.

Interesting.  Yeah, if you get some time try to measure the "raw" output from both boards to see if there's a difference, and then measure the output coming from one of your 36w units, with both boards.  My thought is that without an O-scope you won't be able to see the problem with any degree of certainty, but it's worth a try!

I don't blame you for not wanting to try another Chauvet board.  The only reason I suggest something a little more mainstream than the board you mention is so that there's a wide userbase that can help answer questions if you have them, especially when it comes to programming.  That's interesting that they're somehow associated with Yorkville.  Many people on these forums use Yorkville products with good results for what they are, myself included.  Knowing that Yorkville is a Canadian brand, maybe the Orion products have more of a representation up by you than they do here in the United States?  Either way, as long as you get it from a dealer that will honor returns, which it sounds like you are, I don't think you can go wrong.  You still won't have the output and capabilities found with an equivalent software controller, but there are pros and cons with going either route.  Maybe try bringing one of your 36w lights in and see what they make of it?  Have fun!

Steve Garris

« Reply #41 on: January 15, 2017, 05:54:08 PM »

I've seen many ad's for that Chinese board. This one is very similar, and you should read the excellent review of this board at the bottom of this page written by CONVEY.

https://www.amazon.com/Monoprice-612120-16-Channel-DMX-512-Controller/dp/B00JJ7XPHK/ref=pd_day0_267_15?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B00JJ7XPHK&pd_rd_r=EJ89TN5YCH2ZAJYZNKQ7&pd_rd_w=Q1cwj&pd_rd_wg=dxuty&psc=1&refRID=EJ89TN5YCH2ZAJYZNKQ7

Jerome Malsack

« Reply #42 on: January 16, 2017, 08:43:30 PM »

I have not read the complete history on this topic but wonder if anyone asked about the DMX terminator.  120 ohm resister between pins 2 and 3. 
This terminator helps to prevent noise on the line that can cause some strange operations. 

Jeff Lelko

• Cape Canaveral, FL
« Reply #43 on: January 17, 2017, 06:42:22 PM »

I have not read the complete history on this topic but wonder if anyone asked about the DMX terminator.  120 ohm resister between pins 2 and 3. 
This terminator helps to prevent noise on the line that can cause some strange operations.

Yeah, the terminator came up a little while back.  The funny thing though is that for a system this small, there should be no need for one, yet apparently when the OP plugs one in it kills the light.  My guess is that there's somehow stray power leaking into the DMX lines.  I've actually been shocked by a DMX cable coming out of a Chinese LED Par, so this kind of thing can happen.  Good thing it didn't toast anything else!

Stevens R. Miller

« Reply #44 on: January 21, 2017, 11:05:13 AM »

I'm fairly new to DMX myself, Neil. Also new to this forum/site, but it looks like you're getting some very good advice already. One thing that has been helping me is a freely downloadable program called "DMXControl." If you have a USB/DMX adapter, your computer can control an entire DMX universe with it. Even without the adapter, I've found the program to be a very helpful "offline" learning tool. Maybe you'd find it useful.

(Disclaimer: I don't have anything to do with DMXControl. I'm just a user.)
Owner of Ex Lumina Corp.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #44 on: January 21, 2017, 11:05:13 AM »

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.032 seconds with 25 queries.