ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Dante/Parallels/Smaart/Focusrite Pro 24/Mac Mini  (Read 8221 times)

William Schnake

• Schnake Sound & Light
Dante/Parallels/Smaart/Focusrite Pro 24/Mac Mini
« on: January 10, 2017, 08:57:21 AM »

Good morning all.  I have been repurposing some of my computers in order for us to become more efficient without having to purchase new hardware.  We are wanting to setup a Dante network between Midas Pro2 w/Klark Technic DN9650 with a KT-DANTe 64 card and a Yamaha QL5.  I also want to offer live recording services as an add-on to our regular production services.

Here is what I am thinking:

Computer - Mac Mini  (late 2013 w/512 gig SSD and 8 gig of ram)
Software - Parallels for Mac/Windows 10/Dante/Smaart 8.?/Cubase 9.?/EAW software/RCF Software/dbx software for driverack/Midas Pro2 and Yamaha            QL5 software.
Audio Interface - Focusrite Pro24 (running firewire 800 to the Mac Mini)
Switches - I am not sure currently probably 4 Netgear gigabit switch with PoE.  Two will be for front of house for Dante and two will be at Monitor World.

I would put together a rack that would house the Mac Mini/Focusrite Pro 24/(2) NetGear switches one for Dante 1 and one for Dante 2 redundancy/UPS power supply/rack drawer.  This rack would reside at FoH.

A second rack would be put together for the two switches for the Dante Connection in Monitor World.

All four switches will be matched and have the same software version. 

Having never setup a Dante Network before, am I on the right track or has the train been derailed before I get started?  This is a feasability questions.

Thanks for your input.

Bill
Bill Schnake - Owner Schnake Sound & Light

Avid/Crown/EAW/EV/Midas/RCF/Shure/Yamaha

schnakesound.com

Thomas Dameron

• SR Forums
Re: Dante/Parallels/Smaart/Focusrite Pro 24/Mac Mini
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2017, 09:57:11 AM »

I don't have any experience running DVS over parallels but that raises a red flag.  I would definitely run your recordings on the Mac OS. 

In this scenario you don't need any backup switches.  The Mac will only be on the primary network, so only the QL and the 9650 will be able to use the backup network.  Unless you are planning on adding other dante hardware and want to go ahead and get the infrastructure in place I would skip the secondary network switches. 

thomas d.

Craig Leerman

• Global Moderator
  • Do Not Read This!
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2017, 11:18:26 AM »

What's the Focusrite for?  Dante Virtual Soundcard allows multitrack recordings and playback over the Dante network? Are you thinking it will be used for local monitoring and playback?  It won't work concurrently with DVS

I'm so old, when I was doing FOH for Tommy Dorsey, to balance out the horn section I would slide their chairs downstage and upstage to mix!

TechWorksReno.com
Facebook.com/TechWorksReno
Pinterest.com/TechWorks0492

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2017, 12:32:07 PM »

Good morning all.  I have been repurposing some of my computers in order for us to become more efficient without having to purchase new hardware.  We are wanting to setup a Dante network between Midas Pro2 w/Klark Technic DN9650 with a KT-DANTe 64 card and a Yamaha QL5.  I also want to offer live recording services as an add-on to our regular production services.

Here is what I am thinking:

Computer - Mac Mini  (late 2013 w/512 gig SSD and 8 gig of ram)
Software - Parallels for Mac/Windows 10/Dante/Smaart 8.?/Cubase 9.?/EAW software/RCF Software/dbx software for driverack/Midas Pro2 and Yamaha            QL5 software.
Audio Interface - Focusrite Pro24 (running firewire 800 to the Mac Mini)
Switches - I am not sure currently probably 4 Netgear gigabit switch with PoE.  Two will be for front of house for Dante and two will be at Monitor World.

I would put together a rack that would house the Mac Mini/Focusrite Pro 24/(2) NetGear switches one for Dante 1 and one for Dante 2 redundancy/UPS power supply/rack drawer.  This rack would reside at FoH.

A second rack would be put together for the two switches for the Dante Connection in Monitor World.

All four switches will be matched and have the same software version. 

Having never setup a Dante Network before, am I on the right track or has the train been derailed before I get started?  This is a feasability questions.

Thanks for your input.

Bill

What is the Focusrite for? Why the Parallels/Win10 setup? What exactly are you trying to accomplish here?

More info about your goal will help.

Mac

Thomas Dameron

• SR Forums
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2017, 01:37:05 PM »

What is the Focusrite for? Why the Parallels/Win10 setup? What exactly are you trying to accomplish here?

Mac

I thought the same thing but maybe just to get Smaart in and out without tying up console i/o?  I usually use console inputs for my mics and re-allocate them once the room is setup.  Once the show I rolling I just take an input off the solo bus, but I don't know what the OP had in mind.

thomas d.

William Schnake

• Schnake Sound & Light
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2017, 04:47:35 PM »

What's the Focusrite for?  Dante Virtual Soundcard allows multitrack recordings and playback over the Dante network? Are you thinking it will be used for local monitoring and playback?  It won't work concurrently with DVS
Craig, you are correct, I would be running the DVS on the Mac side not the Windows/Parallels side.  I am going to expand the system as I upgrade my wireless mic rig.  We are currently using the ULX/P and will be moving to the ULX/D systems most likely. 

Thanks
Bill

schnakesound.com

William Schnake

• Schnake Sound & Light
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2017, 04:49:15 PM »

Craig, I assumed that I would need to use it for the input to Smaart.  Maybe I don't.

Bill

schnakesound.com

Robert Lofgren

« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2017, 04:53:10 PM »

Make sure that your network switches doesn't have energy saving support or that you can at least disable it.

On the mac side you need to tweak your network settings or you might not get full network speed.

William Schnake

• Schnake Sound & Light
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2017, 04:53:28 PM »

Mac
Hi Mac, the only reason for running Windows 10 is that I use some EAW software and dbx software that is still Windows only, thus why I need to run Parallels.  I was thinking that I would use the Focusrite for input to Smaart 8.?.

My main goal is to get a Dante Network up and running so that I can use it to record shows as well as start building a backbone for the Shure ULX/D wireless system that we are about to purchase.  As far as the other software, I am trying to make it so that I only have to have one computer with me rather than a Windows machine and a Mac.  Currently the Midas Pro2 software only runs on a Mac.

Thanks
Bill

schnakesound.com

William Schnake

• Schnake Sound & Light
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2017, 04:56:45 PM »

Make sure that your network switches doesn't have energy saving support or that you can at least disable it.

On the mac side you need to tweak your network settings or you might not get full network speed.
Thanks for the input.  I did know about the no power saving support on the switches.  Do you think the Mac Mini is up to the task as described or should I be looking for something with a little more punch?

Bill

schnakesound.com

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2017, 04:56:45 PM »

Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.033 seconds with 23 queries.