ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: PK Audio  (Read 13013 times)

Don T. Williams

• Midas Pro 1 & 2, M32, dbTech T12, T8, S30, DM12
    • Q Systems Music & Sound
Re: PK Audio
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2017, 10:39:16 PM »

Wow!  This is a really different market.  I've never heard of a rock, country, jazz, etc. event where the audience wouldn't show up if YXZ brand speakers weren't used. 

I know EDM is also big in Florida and certainly in Europe.  Is this happening in these places also?

Len Zenith Jr

« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2017, 10:40:18 PM »

If someone can figure out how to make a PA/LED Video panel combo, you'll have the EDM market cornered and the candy kids wearing your t-shirts!

Been done already. Projector mapping is all the rage in the EDM scene:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BMpua8vrsfc

Len Zenith Jr

« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2017, 11:01:38 PM »

In case anyone is interested, here is a typical monitor rig for a PK show:

As one of my EDM promoters described the rig; "Those are line arrays!"
 ::) ::)
Because of pictures like this, for our smallish EDM shows, it's not uncommon for our monitor rig to exceed the performance of our FOH pa, not that the artists use its capability, they just like to see it there.

James Feenstra

« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2017, 12:06:20 AM »

In case anyone is interested, here is a typical monitor rig for a PK show:

As one of my EDM promoters described the rig; "Those are line arrays!"
 ::) ::)
Because of pictures like this, for our smallish EDM shows, it's not uncommon for our monitor rig to exceed the performance of our FOH pa, not that the artists use its capability, they just like to see it there.
you can blame tiesto and his 3 dvdosc/dual 18s a side rider requirements for that type of setup. I believe he started the whole near field line array thing
« Last Edit: January 10, 2017, 01:22:51 PM by James Feenstra »
Elevation Audiovisual
www.elevationav.com
Taking your events to the next level

Jay Brett

« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2017, 01:04:38 AM »

Been done already. Projector mapping is all the rage in the EDM scene:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BMpua8vrsfc

I was really hoping to click on that link and laugh... but damn it, that's pretty awesome.

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #15 on: January 10, 2017, 07:26:22 AM »

Wow!  This is a really different market.  I've never heard of a rock, country, jazz, etc. event where the audience wouldn't show up if YXZ brand speakers weren't used. 

I know EDM is also big in Florida and certainly in Europe.  Is this happening in these places also?
Yes it is a different market.

Sometimes it is about the artist-but often it is MORE about the experience.

It reminds me A LOT of a typical "hippy fest" from the ol days.

I have done EDM shows in which NOT ONE WORD was spoken all night.

None of the "artists" were introduced-there is no break between artists-they just blend the previous sounds into the next.

Often there is very little lighting on the DJ themselves-it is all on the audience or a wall behind or in front of the DJ.

Many times you cannot see their faces.  And they are never projected on screens.

Of course from a "sound provider" perspective-it is a REALLY EASY gig.  Really nothing to do once the show starts, until it ends.  So set changes, no mixing etc. 

They just "do their thing".

A lot of rock bands would love to have for a PA what the typical DJ uses in these events.  It is nothing to have 20Kw for the DJ monitors.

I will say that of all they different types of shows I have done, the EDM are the most peaceful and non violent of all.  Maybe it is the drugs--------

A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

James Feenstra

« Reply #16 on: January 10, 2017, 01:26:28 PM »

EDM events, from a technical perspective (especially that of a LD or Video tech) are incredibly fun, yet very boring at the same time....

Pick all the fancy new toys, put as many up as the roof can handle, and don't worry about lighting the stage at all, just go to town and follow the music :)
Elevation Audiovisual
www.elevationav.com
Taking your events to the next level

Randy Pence

• Berlin, Germany
« Reply #17 on: January 10, 2017, 07:25:29 PM »

No, well, not exactly.  When I went to american raves in the 90s, "turbo boxes" were the big thing to advertise.  Were they actually turbosound speakers, I wasnt paying attention back then, but turbosound  did quite well in this market.  The manufacturers with very obvious horn-loaded tops have done well in europe, with some promoters using an en vogue brand to reach audiences caring more about the sound than the vibe, but one is just as likely to see a line array for the really big events
« Last Edit: January 10, 2017, 07:31:34 PM by Randy Pence »

JeremyBridge

« Reply #18 on: January 10, 2017, 10:03:21 PM »

Anyone ever deal with PK Audio? I had a tour come through last year that was carrying PK (endorsement deal) and I had to drop a Meyer rig so they could use the PK. It was a trinity rig, all EDM music and was awful. Looking at having them back again this year but I'll have a brand new D&B rig installed this year and I'm not looking to take that down for anything PK!

Hey Jason, sorry you didn't have the best experience with the system at your show.   Where are you located/whats the venue? I would like to chat with the tour crew to help improve your experience this time around.  We have had nothing but really great feedback about the sound quality of Trinity and its consistently on the same festivals as the top brands right now so its being compared side by side quite often.  I would like to hear your feedback directly and would be happy to jump on a phone call if you want to shoot me your contact info, any constructive feedback is good feedback which can help us better our products.

Secondly I'm not sure where the information regarding "providing our gear for free" comes from but I'm fairly sure you are referring to the Excision tour which we have been doing since his first tour 5 years ago.  We've been involved with this artist since day one and we've grown through supporting each other but it is by no means free.  We don't believe in giving away equipment for free, it has no value and racing to the bottom doesn't do our industry good at any level.   

I'm also somewhat confused why all the gear was taken down and then it was discovered the PA was over the weight restriction after?  Didn't the tour manager advance the weights before they arrived? I can totally understand this would be super annoying if so and a shitty start to any experience.  What Meyer PA was it, Milo?  Because while Trinity is a slightly heavier than Milo its is considerably higher output (I have measured them side by side and it is a pretty significant difference) and Trinity is lighter than LEO even with the robotic actuation system.

Again I am happy to chat with you because your opinion really does matter to me and I'd like the opportunity to hear your feedback directly.

Thank you,

Jeremy Bridge
CEO
PK Sound
« Last Edit: January 10, 2017, 11:10:09 PM by JeremyBridge »

JeremyBridge

« Reply #19 on: January 10, 2017, 11:34:49 PM »

It reminds me A LOT of a typical "hippy fest" from the ol days.

Of course from a "sound provider" perspective-it is a REALLY EASY gig.  Really nothing to do once the show starts, until it ends.  So set changes, no mixing etc. 

I'd say from what I've heard about hippy fests they definitely have allot in common =]

I think the bottom line is EDM is different, which some people appreciate and some people don't like as with everything in this world and everyone is entitled to their opinion.  However as the vendor its not our place to decide what form of entertainment the fans love its our job to make the experience the absolute best regardless of our personal preference.  Really the fans are our boss and in the age of social media they hold an extreme amount of power. 

Just because I don't love ballet doesn't mean that I won't put 130% into making sure the show goes as perfectly as possible.

Jeremy Bridge
CEO
PK Sound
« Last Edit: January 11, 2017, 12:02:21 AM by JeremyBridge »

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: January 10, 2017, 11:34:49 PM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.031 seconds with 25 queries.