ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: Some companies just want to get big.  (Read 19863 times)

Craig Leerman

• Global Moderator
  • Do Not Read This!
Re: Some companies just want to get big.
« Reply #30 on: January 08, 2017, 02:08:49 PM »

Why blur the name?  If they were proud enough to put their name on it in public, no need to remove the name

I'm so old, when I was doing FOH for Tommy Dorsey, to balance out the horn section I would slide their chairs downstage and upstage to mix!

TechWorksReno.com
Facebook.com/TechWorksReno
Pinterest.com/TechWorks0492

Cailen Waddell

« Reply #31 on: January 08, 2017, 02:09:37 PM »

Why blur the name?  If they were proud enough to put their name on it in public, no need to remove the name

Exactly.  I want to know who we should run away from.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #32 on: January 08, 2017, 04:20:25 PM »

Exactly.  I want to know who we should run away from.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Or go visit out of curiosity? 
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #33 on: January 08, 2017, 04:32:28 PM »

Or go visit out of curiosity?

Yep. Sometimes you just have to see the train wreck.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Bob Cap

• Classic LAB
« Reply #34 on: January 08, 2017, 05:49:26 PM »

You know guys when I started in this business in 1971....

That would have been a pretty great looking system.

Forget what it sounded like.

I remember Geini towers we put together in sections and lifted into position...racks of Fresnels...

My first big system was all homebuilt (custom built), RCA 7 foot folded horn bass cabinets...single 15" mid boxes ala JBL 4560...2" radial horns and 1" horns on top.

Crown DC300 power amps.....

By those standards this rig looks pretty good...:)

Bob Cap
Advanced Audio Inc.
Gilbert, MN

Greg Hershey

• York, PA
« Reply #35 on: January 08, 2017, 06:12:16 PM »

You know guys when I started in this business in 1971....

That would have been a pretty great looking system.

Forget what it sounded like.

I remember Geini towers we put together in sections and lifted into position...racks of Fresnels...

My first big system was all homebuilt (custom built), RCA 7 foot folded horn bass cabinets...single 15" mid boxes ala JBL 4560...2" radial horns and 1" horns on top.

Crown DC300 power amps.....

By those standards this rig looks pretty good...:)

Bob Cap
Advanced Audio Inc.
Gilbert, MN

Sounds exactly like my first system!  We had some A7's in the mix also. 

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #36 on: January 08, 2017, 06:29:12 PM »

Sounds exactly like my first system!  We had some A7's in the mix also.

My "very first" PA was 2 full range cabinets that had 2x12" and a 4x10" horn  (all radio shack drivers), a 4 channel mixer (volume bass and treble) I built and a single 100 watt amp I built.

I grew from that.

The largest it got using the "separate cabinet approach" is shown below.  After this photo was taken I started using the "one box" approach.
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

Douglas R. Allen

« Reply #37 on: January 08, 2017, 06:31:59 PM »

So thoughts on fixing this system? This is my thought. Have the sub pack set in  gradule, C shape to give the tops set on them good coverage. With 9 tops a side available put 3 of these on top of the sub's set on their sides NOT plugged in. On top of them have three more put on upright the normal way. The last 3 put on top of those but upside down so the horns output couples (somewhat) Now run this as a dual PA. Bottom plugged in layer have instruments/vocal/instruments. The top upside down layer have vocal/instruments/vocal. With 2 quality amps that will run down to 2 ohms you can have 1 amp per side. Each amp channel running 3 boxes. Of course everything correctly secured!!! Not like the single strap used in the picture!

As far as using the unplugged boxes if enough amps/crossover channels are available a person could set this up as 2 way, 3 way, or even 4 way.

I realize some would fix it by burning it but if this was all you had, for conversation sake, how would you set it up?

Douglas R. Allen

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #38 on: January 08, 2017, 07:17:33 PM »

So thoughts on fixing this system?
This may be against forum rules, but I will give it a shot.

Back in the 80s, I used to repair A LOT of these cabinets.

The weak point, BY FAR, is the HF driver.  The other problem was the crossover parts falling off of the board they were glued to and breaking the leads.

So "if it were me" and I had to use these cabinets, I would rewire them to be biamped.

This is for a couple of reasons.  First is to use a steeper slope on the crossover which would help a little bit in terms of power.

The other big reason for biamping (they are not "naturally biampable) is to be able to put a good limiter on the HF driver alone.

Biamping would remove the crossovers and the parts falling off from the "equation".

This is not great, but I would flip the top cabinets so the horns are closer together.  They are still to far apart for proper coupling, but closer than when stacked as shown.

I would try to avoid using the stacks side by side as shown.

I would NOT use cabinets that are not plugged into amplifiers.

The unterminated cabinets will actually cause a "suckout" of the active cabinets. 

Of course you might could put some stronger HF drivers in the cabinets.  That would help A LOT.

But it depends on "how far" you want to go.

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

Jamin Lynch

• Corpus Christi, TX.
« Reply #39 on: January 08, 2017, 08:41:44 PM »

This system was home built late '70's/early '80's and is still in use today. In fact I'll be mixing for a band at a local festival in May. Still has the original JBL E120's in the mids.

He finally broke down and purchased an Si Compact after the Soundcraft K2 with many bad channels gave out.

It sounds about how you would expect. But this guy gets a lot of the jobs. Primarily because he is associated with the local music store.  And he is not cheap, just well known.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #39 on: January 08, 2017, 08:41:44 PM »

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.032 seconds with 26 queries.