ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6   Go Down

Author Topic: Some companies just want to get big.  (Read 19867 times)

Cailen Waddell

Re: Some companies just want to get big.
« Reply #40 on: January 08, 2017, 10:54:47 PM »

This system was home built late '70's/early '80's and is still in use today. In fact I'll be mixing for a band at a local festival in May. Still has the original JBL E120's in the mids.

He finally broke down and purchased an Si Compact after the Soundcraft K2 with many bad channels gave out.

It sounds about how you would expect. But this guy gets a lot of the jobs. Primarily because he is associated with the local music store.  And he is not cheap, just well known.

That roof also looks dangerous.   Perhaps you may want to consider not being involved if it is outdoors. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rick Powell

« Reply #41 on: January 08, 2017, 11:31:52 PM »

I would NOT use cabinets that are not plugged into amplifiers.

The unterminated cabinets will actually cause a "suckout" of the active cabinets. 

If they are just being used as "risers" to raise the other 6 cabinets, and set face down with no outward horn exposure, I think they could at least be useful pieces of furniture.

Douglas R. Allen

« Reply #42 on: January 09, 2017, 05:25:34 AM »

If they are just being used as "risers" to raise the other 6 cabinets, and set face down with no outward horn exposure, I think they could at least be useful pieces of furniture.

Using the unplugged ones as "risers" is what I had in mind. I guess if not used as part of a 3 or 4 way system then turning them face down would be a good idea. How would putting shorted 1/4 inch plugs into the input jacks work as far as controlling the "passive radiator" effect (I'm guessing these have 1/4 inch inputs)

Douglas R. Allen

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #43 on: January 09, 2017, 07:21:50 AM »

Using the unplugged ones as "risers" is what I had in mind. I guess if not used as part of a 3 or 4 way system then turning them face down would be a good idea. How would putting shorted 1/4 inch plugs into the input jacks work as far as controlling the "passive radiator" effect (I'm guessing these have 1/4 inch inputs)

Douglas R. Allen
Yes shorting the inputs is better than hooking to an amp-

If they were to be used as risers, then the whole front would need to be sealed off.

Seems like a expensive heavy "riser".

And I bet you would have a VERY HARD TIME convincing them to use them that way.
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

Greg Percy

« Reply #44 on: January 09, 2017, 09:01:33 AM »

It's nice because they have one speaker for each person in the crowd...almost

Ray Aberle

• Classic LAB
  • Located in Vancouver, WA (and serves OR-WA-ID-BC)
    • Kelcema Audio
« Reply #45 on: January 09, 2017, 10:08:31 AM »

That roof also looks dangerous.   Perhaps you may want to consider not being involved if it is outdoors. 
Roof, or the DSL lighting- well, the entire downstage lighting. But on the DSL side there's a stick of truss that's....... doing nothing? Not sure what's holding it in place. Or why it's even there...

-Ray
Kelcema Audio
Regional - Serving Pacific Northwest (OR, WA, ID, BC)

Tim Weaver

• College Station, Texas
    • Daniela Weaver Photography
« Reply #46 on: January 09, 2017, 10:29:01 AM »

Roof, or the DSL lighting- well, the entire downstage lighting. But on the DSL side there's a stick of truss that's....... doing nothing? Not sure what's holding it in place. Or why it's even there...

-Ray

There's 2 silver sticks and one black stick of triangle truss holding the 6bars. You can't hardly see the black stick on stage right.
Bullwinkle: This is the amplifier, which amplifies the sound. This is the Preamplifier which, of course, amplifies the pree's.

Tim Weaver

• College Station, Texas
    • Daniela Weaver Photography
« Reply #47 on: January 09, 2017, 10:38:28 AM »

So thoughts on fixing this system? *snip*

I realize some would fix it by burning it but if this was all you had, for conversation sake, how would you set it up?

Douglas R. Allen

As Ivan has said, the horn drivers were crossed way too low and too shallow for these things to handle any power (although they did sound pretty good).

Biamp the rig. Put as steep a slope as possible on the HF and move that XO point up to maybe 2k-ish. Limit it well.

Stack a top box the "regular" way then flip one HF down on top of it. HF to HF and facing the same direction will be about as good as it gets with these boxes.

If needed you could put another HFup/HFdown pair on top of the first maybe. Use the lower pair for the front rows. Have it 3 to 6 db lower in level than the upper pair which will be used for the majority of the crowd. Biamping each pair you'll be able to compensate the lower boxes with more Hi end that's needed because all the 15's will be working together.

That would give you 4 per side and the least amount of interaction possible from these boxes.

The Subs (which are T18's btw) would need to be piled up together and treated with kid gloves. They like to blow up whenever a gnat farts somewhere close to an open mic.... damhik...
Bullwinkle: This is the amplifier, which amplifies the sound. This is the Preamplifier which, of course, amplifies the pree's.

Jim McKeveny

« Reply #48 on: January 09, 2017, 10:50:03 AM »

Somewhere an HVAC contractor is missing his lifts.

I'm sure the rig now sounds "amazing" because a DRPA is on front end.

Robert Healey

« Reply #49 on: January 09, 2017, 04:32:21 PM »

The weak point, BY FAR, is the HF driver.  The other problem was the crossover parts falling off of the board they were glued to and breaking the leads.

So "if it were me" and I had to use these cabinets, I would rewire them to be biamped.

This is for a couple of reasons.  First is to use a steeper slope on the crossover which would help a little bit in terms of power.

The other big reason for biamping (they are not "naturally biampable) is to be able to put a good limiter on the HF driver alone.

Biamping would remove the crossovers and the parts falling off from the "equation".

I put together a pair of old EV SH15-2 speakers from empty boxes and parts I had sitting around. A friend was looking for a budget band practice system. I used a DH2 HF driver (DH3s were used in the original) crossed over at 1600 to a DL15x LF driver (Original "EVG-15"), biamped it with a EV XEQ-2 crossover, and used a Crown D150 amp. I like the horn, and the whole package sounds pretty good!

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #49 on: January 09, 2017, 04:32:21 PM »

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.041 seconds with 22 queries.