ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Down

Author Topic: QSC K12 VS. JBL SRX712 OR Yamaha DSR112  (Read 17731 times)

Steve Garris

Re: QSC K12 VS. JBL SRX712 OR Yamaha DSR112
« Reply #30 on: January 09, 2017, 09:48:09 pm »

Here's an old video from 2011. I was using four custom B&C 18" subs at the time. Looks like I hadn't starting tilting the tops downward yet. Once I started doing that, it helped intensify the sound in the dance space.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zz3q4GozhnQ

Ha! That looks like fun Bill. I prefer live bands but those DJ's really have the young, party market these days. Best of luck to ya man.

Bill Hornibrook

« Reply #31 on: January 10, 2017, 12:56:16 am »

Thanks Steve I'm still doing this practically every weekend - just not in this outdoor venue. Of course right now that back lot is buried under two feet of snow, but anyway...

I've read a couple of posts wondering why the owner would want things louder. I know that in my case initially it was to attract attention to the club. We were in a downtown area zoned commercial, and he wanted the sound heard out on the streets.

As time went on it started attracting attention of the wrong kind, and we had to be a little more reasonable. But for this age group, you really can't be too loud. In the 10 years I've been doing this, I don't think I've ever heard anyone under the age of 25 ask me to turn it down.

Paul Miller

« Reply #32 on: January 10, 2017, 01:31:39 am »

I've read a couple of posts wondering why the owner would want things louder.
But for this age group, you really can't be too loud. In the 10 years I've been doing this, I don't think I've ever heard anyone under the age of 25 ask me to turn it down.

Bill your experience matches up well with mine. It seems loud enough for the first few hours, then as it gets more crowded and the levels get pushed up, those K12s hit the limiters and that's it. It would be nice to have that headroom just for the last couple of hours, I think another clean 6 db or so would make all the difference.

One thing that helps is that I control the master volume through a Mackie 1202. This enables me to keep the DJs from running at max for the whole event. Only when it starts getting lit do I open it up. Sometimes I'll get a text from the promoter asking if there's any more, and it would be quite satisfying to text back, "Yes here you go, this is what that extra money gets us".

Lance Hallmark

• Tampa Bay, FL
    • Hallmark Events & Entertainment
« Reply #33 on: January 10, 2017, 11:17:24 am »

Bill your experience matches up well with mine. It seems loud enough for the first few hours, then as it gets more crowded and the levels get pushed up, those K12s hit the limiters and that's it. It would be nice to have that headroom just for the last couple of hours, I think another clean 6 db or so would make all the difference.

One thing that helps is that I control the master volume through a Mackie 1202. This enables me to keep the DJs from running at max for the whole event. Only when it starts getting lit do I open it up. Sometimes I'll get a text from the promoter asking if there's any more, and it would be quite satisfying to text back, "Yes here you go, this is what that extra money gets us".

When playing prerecorded dance music it is most effective when the sound envelopes the patrons and they are feeling the bass (a lot of bass).  I just made changes at my regular gig (which I wanted to do a year ago) and added additional subs, higher quality tops, & lighting. The last three nights have doubled business at the back bar (where the higher volume music is now focused) and went from a partially full dance floor to full all the way to close. Bringing the sound from reasonably loud to louder but more balanced totally changes the vibe of the venue.
----------------------------------------------------
Lance Hallmark
Hallmark Events & Entertainment
Chamsys, Crown, Danley, EV, JTR, Powersoft, Yamaha

Steve Garris

« Reply #34 on: January 10, 2017, 12:39:14 pm »

Thanks Steve I'm still doing this practically every weekend - just not in this outdoor venue. Of course right now that back lot is buried under two feet of snow, but anyway...

I've read a couple of posts wondering why the owner would want things louder. I know that in my case initially it was to attract attention to the club. We were in a downtown area zoned commercial, and he wanted the sound heard out on the streets.

As time went on it started attracting attention of the wrong kind, and we had to be a little more reasonable. But for this age group, you really can't be too loud. In the 10 years I've been doing this, I don't think I've ever heard anyone under the age of 25 ask me to turn it down.

Nice, I wish I could not get told to turn it down LOL.

FWIW, If you want louder boxes then I would recommend you step beyond those mentioned and look at the JBL SRX-800 powered series. I run at a club with K12's, and I have a PRX system and those DSR boxes as well, but if I want maximum volume and still great sound, I go to my SRX boxes. I don't have this whole thread in memory so someone might have already mentioned this. Contact Mike Pyle on this forum for really great prices.

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #35 on: January 10, 2017, 12:40:49 pm »

When playing prerecorded dance music it is most effective when the sound envelopes the patrons and they are feeling the bass (a lot of bass).  I just made changes at my regular gig (which I wanted to do a year ago) and added additional subs, higher quality tops, & lighting. The last three nights have doubled business at the back bar (where the higher volume music is now focused) and went from a partially full dance floor to full all the way to close. Bringing the sound from reasonably loud to louder but more balanced totally changes the vibe of the venue.

I think this is the essence, if you will...

Paul's gig is late afternoon to early evening and appears to be more of a "social" than party or night club operation.  Vibe is better than raw SPL, I think, but in theory the promoter/owner knows his crowd and what will get more patrons or get them to stay longer.  If we do what we're asked and it screws up the customer base we can only hope the promoter remembers we did what was requested.

While I'm still capable of remembering such youthful exuberance, I recall thinking on a number of occasions that the music was too damn loud to try out my well-rehearsed pick up lines, but... I'd never let my buddies know I thought the music was too loud, either.

So long as someone is willing to pay for the service it's usually foolish to refuse their money.
"Practicing an art, no matter how well or badly, is a way to make your soul grow, for heaven's sake. Sing in the shower. Dance to the radio. Tell stories. Write a poem to a friend, even a lousy poem. Do it as well as you possible can. You will get an enormous reward. You will have created something."  - Kurt Vonnegut

Jonathan Betts

• http://www.facebook.com/pages/JLB-Sound-and-Production/156817657745906
« Reply #36 on: January 10, 2017, 12:57:28 pm »

A properly setup SRX 712m can do just as much or more damage than a 812p.

Paul Miller

« Reply #37 on: January 10, 2017, 01:15:48 pm »

Paul's gig is late afternoon to early evening and appears to be more of a "social" than party or night club operation.  Vibe is better than raw SPL...

Yes it's not a nightclub per se, and I understand exactly what you mean with creating the vibe instead of the all out sonic assault. That's why I monitor the level throughout the event, and usually between 6 and 7 I'll gradually open it up.

... but in theory the promoter/owner knows his crowd and what will get more patrons or get them to stay longer.

I hope this doesn't come off the wrong way, but last season our event was so successful that we were often at capacity, and holding the line to get in. And instead of getting them to stay longer, during the last half hour or so we actually have the DJs start to mellow it out, to encourage people to start leaving. This way we don't dump 300 people into the street all at once, which helps prevent fights from breaking out.

Paul Miller

« Reply #38 on: January 10, 2017, 01:19:23 pm »

A properly setup SRX 712m can do just as much or more damage than a 812p.

Thank you Jonathan, that's what I specifically wanted to know!

And I really appreciate all the other insights and advice, so thanks to everyone.

Jonathan Betts

• http://www.facebook.com/pages/JLB-Sound-and-Production/156817657745906
« Reply #39 on: January 10, 2017, 01:25:16 pm »

You have a QSC PL 380 correct? We power ours with Crown ITech 4000/6000's, so you should be good to go.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #39 on: January 10, 2017, 01:25:16 pm »

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Up

Page created in 0.023 seconds with 18 queries.